Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Cast subs for 9mm SMG?

Cast subs for 9mm SMG?

I have a M11 SMG in 9mm that I would like to cast and powdercoat bullets for subsonic suppressor use. The M11 really only likes round nose bullets.

I have been casting and powdercoated the Lee 158 grain bullets and sized to them to.357. I'm sure you all know what happened. The Lee round nose bullets are just too long for the case. With the bullet set at a maximum case length, the bullet runs into the barrel throat. With the bullet set short enough in the case, I get a bulge in the case that will not let the round chamber.

EDIT:
    OK guys, I'm good for testing this weekend. I fumbled around and found a way to make the 160 grain bullets fit the case and chamber without even scraping the powdercoat off.

Wish me luck.
    Last edited by strobro32; 12-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    I've run the Lee 124 RN through an M11 sized at .358, works beautifully. I'd offer a suggestion to try that mold.

Boolit Man

Caveat: I don't have a M11, but I'm pretty sure this would work perfectly for your stated purpose. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rnativ-coating

It's an excellent mold, and if you PM Miha, he may still have some in stock.

Boolit Master
    Also not an M-11 owner, but I do have a mold from Miha that throws 147 grain 9mm bullets. It is a 6 banger and makes piles and piles of nice shiny bullets. Mine load fine and shoot good in my Glock w/9mm Lone Wolf conversion barrel. The mold I have only casts solids, no hollow points. The bullets look very similar to the solids out of the mold that gman linked too.

Ok here's the result for the 162 grain 9x19 round using powder coated cast lead:

Mold: Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL358-158-2R casting at 162 grains using smelted range scrap (%99ish) lead, sized to .357 with Lee sizer (not that it made much difference from cast size, judging from the lack of resistance going through the sizer)
    Col: 1.130"
    Powder coating: Harbor freight red
    Powder: Unique 3.5 grains
    Primer: CCI small pistol
    910 fps avg.
    Using mixed range brass- S&B and RWS worked best, Herters, PPU and PMC worked worst and made a severe bulge in the brass
    Hosts: Max-31A with 4.5" barrel and Glock 19 with Lonewolf threaded barrel
    50 rounds tested, 30 rounds in Max-31A and 20 rounds in the G19

Results:
    No keyholes
    Accurate
    No difference in smoke than factory 158 grain Fiocchi 9x19
    No lead in barrel
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

Sounds like excellent results.
    Hard for me to imagine why the M11 would only feed RN bullets. Have you tried the Magma 147gr FN cast bullet?

I have someone who is sending some of the 147 FN bullets to test. We shall see. My experience is that FN bullets do not work well on the M11 feed ramp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ramp1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	123784
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ramp2.jpg  

Good photos. Yep that's a radical ramp.