Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is Winchester bulk .22LR ammo Garbage,,, or is it just me?

Boolit Grand Master

Good point, Al. I have a M60 Glenfield that isn't much to look at but will
    sure shoot.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I bought some of the Win 333 at wal mart a while back, the first I had been able to get ahold of there in a long time. I was so happy a score of almost 1000 22. Then I went to shoot some of it, misfire after misfire. Some you could put back in hit again and it go off. Some had 3 dents and wouldn't fire. Eventually it went back to Winchester and they sent me a refund.

Boolit Buddy
    Our Beretta Neos U-22 did not like the new Winchester bulk at all. Did ok with some old American Eagle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I had a very negative experience with Winchester 333 bulk ammo today and it is something I have never experienced before in my life.

I don't know if any of you have noticed the declining quality of Rimfire ammo over the last 3-4 years? But I certainly have..

Like most of us here I have fired literally 10's of thousands of rounds of .22 LR ammo over my lifetime. Prior to the last few years I could have counted on one hand the number of misfires I have had in my entire life! Now it is an occurrence everytime I shoot and sometimes it is every 8-10 rounds!

Mis-fires, fails to fire, hang fires. Cases so soft they have to be ejected with a cleaning rod, Rounds that won't even go into the chamber?

[SIZE=6]***!!![SIZE=5]

I am pretty disgusted right now.

I ran a whole box of Federal cheap stuff thru my M2 this morning at my monthly Silhouette Shoot. no issues!.

I opened a box of Winchester 333 bulk HP's that were all I had with me. First round fail to fire, fires on second hit, and then won't extract. Had to be removed with a cleaning rod. Second shot Fails to chamber, third shot hang fire about 2 seconds. 4th shot fails to chamber all the way and had to be knocked out with a cleaning round and you know I loved doing that to a live round. 5th shot fires fine and I hit a chicken, 6th shot fails to fire,,, I'M done!.

This is not a Gun problem and it damn sure it ain't a ME problem!

I thought SAAMI specs require factory ammo to function in any gun chambered for it. The rounds that wouldn't chamber in my M2, which admittedly has a tight chamber, also wouldn't chamber in an 85 year old Remington single shot rifle which certainly doesn't have a match chamber.

This stuff was pure garbage, and defiantly the worst ammunition of any kind I have fired in my entire life.

As I said earlier on I have noticed a decline in the quality in just the last few years.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I wonder what they are thinking dropping QC standards to this level?

Randy
    IMHO all bulk sucks. **** powder, non-filled rims with primer etc. You get what you pay for.

Federal bulk was sweet plinking ammo at 8-9 bucks a 550 box who cared abut 2-3% misfires then. Remington was junk then with at least 10-20 not firing. But at prices wanted by some, no I will pass.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    IMHO all bulk sucks. **** powder, non-filled rims with primer etc. You get what you pay for.
    This was the first affordable .22LR ammo I had seen for sale in my area in two years. I Paid $27.95 for this box which was from Turner's . It had been taken off a guy who had already bought some that day and came back thru and got caught right before I went in the store. The cashier had it and when I bitched that there was none there after the shelves had been stocked an hour earlier he came out with this box.

I thought I got lucky! Instead I got screwed, and that's what this whole thread is about.

I didn't get what I paid for,,, and they won't take it back.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

For years, it's been my understanding that there's different grades of rimfire ammunition.
    I've always purchased my ammunition, based upon intended application with a specific firearm.
    Failing that, I've acquired different brands with the acceptance of general purpose performance.
    Not all rimfire cartridges are junk. If that was the case, there'd be a gluttonous supply.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

I have had nothing but good fortune with 333 or 555 or 500 bulk ammunition. All mine is a few years old. Still have a few thousand rounds thankfully. This will make me think twice about new production bulk rimfire.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester wildcats ( at least 20 yrs old ) would not extract in my 1975 Ruger single six.

Moderator Emeritus

15 years ago Winchester Dyna points were top quality matching Federal Gold Medal target in accuracy. They can make great stuff, I am sure the quality control is less through the line the last 3 years.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Went to the range with one of my friends years ago. I was shooting my Marlin 60 and my friend had his JC Higgins bolt action. This was before I got wise and started reloading my CF guns. I was shooting Federal bulk and he the Winchester.

He was having all kinds of problems feeding the Winchester bulk bullets he bought and I was having no problems with the Federal in the 60. I traded him, suspecting maybe his gun was having problems with that flatter bullet profile.

The Winchesters ran fine in my model 60 but didnt work at all in an old JC Higgins bolt gun and the Federals were fine for him. After we switched, we both shot the rest of the time with no issues. Things have probably changed since then, since this was well before the latest shortage, but after the Clinton Scare.

It seems that some guns may or may not like certain types of ammo and you need to feed them what they like!
    Last edited by Horseman1; 11-23-2014 at 06:02 PM.

I have a bunch of the rem goldens and federal 550 packs and have had good luck with both in my 2 ruger mark II semi and 617 smith revolver, and bolt rifles.

Boolit Bub
    The last time I used the bulk Golden Bullets, they all worked fine, but the difference in the powder charge between one round to the next was pretty apparent. They all still cycled fine in the slicked up model 60.

Boolit Grand Master

It seems that some guns may or may not like certain types of ammo and you need to feed them what they like!-Horseman1

That, my friend, is the secret to .22's! Always has been, probably always will be. My Ruger MKI thinks the old Winchester Wildcat is target ammo. My S&W 617 likes the Remington HV HP ammo.
    I think the issue Randy (OP) is addressing is the current state of bulk rimfire ammo. I suspect the manufacturers are addressing the need for more ammo instead of the need for quality ammo. Hopefully that will change before my little stash runs out.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    15 years ago Winchester Dyna points were top quality matching Federal Gold Medal target in accuracy. They can make great stuff, I am sure the quality control is less through the line the last 3 years.
    They're still good to go, at least they were a year or so ago when I managed to pick up a couple bulk packs of 'em.

I was a little disappointed at first since about 20% of them went supersonic in my new 16 inch barrel Savage Mark II bolt action, but they all stayed quiet in the 16 inch 10-22.

They shot dime sized group's at 25 yards through both rifles, so the accuracy is still there although I've never compared them directly with Federal Gold Medal target.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...