RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repackaging Powder

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    this is getting interesting. I ask what kind of powder......................... looking for specific "KIND" and I get a "NOT GOING TO NAME THE CO." I'l take $400.00 worth of just mix it all up I dont give a dog scrunch. That should go over real well at the gun shows.
    Your assuming a lot here and it kind of implies that I am stupid!.....Should I be mad?

The reason I am not naming the company is because it is completely irrelevant here as I am not selling it here. I was merely asking if anyone had heard of white HDPE containers being bad for powder storage. Through all of the useful posts that I have read it appears that it is OK to store powder of unknown origin (because im not telling) in white HDPE containers.

TES
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master
    I wonder how much of an issue UV light is when it comes to powder packaging. Maybe at the gun store where its on a shelf in front of the big window. I dont store mine anywhere near a window, on a shelf behind the door in the closet, so even clear probably wouldn't be an issue. The static free now might be an important thing. I get zapped I dont know how many times a day with the cold weather.

I would have to agree with what some are saying. If I was buying repackaged from a trusted source, the LGS near me I buy at all the time or similar, I wouldn't have issue with it. But unknown vendor at the gun show, probably not. Now if the guy scooped it out of the big container in front of me I would consider it.

Boolit Master

Do gun shows allow packaging of powder on site? I don't go to gun shows any more but I've never seen anyone dispensing from a large container when I did attend.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    tes, I'M not implying that you are stupid. you got irate because no one was giving you a straight answer. I gave you a straight answer. now you did the same thing to me not saying what kind of powder you were selling. if it was something I use, I "COULD" have been a customer. I use a lot of powder per year, but with the attitude you displayed on this forum, you would be sitting on a lot of powder. good luck.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Do gun shows allow packaging of powder on site? I don't go to gun shows any more but I've never seen anyone dispensing from a large container when I did attend.
    That right there is a good question.
    My educated guess is ...
    If the promoter looked into the laws in regards to storage, handling, and transport of smokeless powders for commercial sale and the insurance required if the seller has the proper permits and licenses ... my guess is the promoter will say, Heck NO !

Here is an interesting read
    http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/form...wders_5258.pdf
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Don't concern yourself with those potential small static charges in bottles. The only thing it could do is make some powder stick to the sides. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows & proves various tests someone did with high voltage sources trying to ignite powder. It DID NOT!!!!!! Much larger EMF potentials than you will ever see from a powder bottle were used. I think they used a 40KV hight tension coil/transformer.

But fear what you want. It all seems to be based upon conducitivty.

The #2 HDPE WHITE bottles are perfect for storage of divided-up powders. I use 8oz pill bottles, and larger (1.5# storage) vitamin ones from Costco. Never a problem. And I do NOT store ANY powder (black or white) in the sun! And I live in the "Valley of the Sun"!

I have never seen anyone selling repackaged powder at any gun shows I have ever been to. Commercial factory labeled and sealed.........yes.

Found it.......http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...ks/sparks.html

banger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    That right there is a good question.
    My educated guess is ...
    If the promoter looked into the laws in regards to storage, handling, and transport of smokeless powders for commercial sale and the insurance required if the seller has the proper permits and licenses ... my guess is the promoter will say, Heck NO !

Here is an interesting read
    http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/formspublications/publications/Documents/explosives_factsheet7_handling_ammunition_powders_ 5258.pdf
    I only read part of this document but I wonder how many reloaders(not dealers) have more than 10 kg of powder stored. The part that left me wondering was what kind of license is required for more than 10 kg(22 lbs)
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-22-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote brackets
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I only read part of this document but I wonder how many reloaders(not dealers) have more than 10 kg of powder stored. The part that left me wondering was what kind of license is required for more than 10 kg(22 lbs)
    That document, as I understand it, is like a workplace safety type of thing...like OSHA. And the permits/licenses they require are having to do with that fact that commercial activity is taking place. I suspect even if the vendor of a gunshow table is the sole proprietor, the fact that there is other vendors right next to you and customers wondering by the table, all day long, all their safety could be in question...as they are all in the 'workspace'.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    tes, I'M not implying that you are stupid. you got irate because no one was giving you a straight answer. I gave you a straight answer. now you did the same thing to me not saying what kind of powder you were selling. if it was something I use, I "COULD" have been a customer. I use a lot of powder per year, but with the attitude you displayed on this forum, you would be sitting on a lot of powder. good luck.
    This is the one thing I do not like about text only debates...people assume irateness when there was none....hence the humor attempt with "herding cats" and then the following post about blowing up a horse......Nothing but good fun here from me and I never meant to come across irate in any way....I did answer your question just not the answer you wanted...but again I used the much debated humor or satirical purple font in another attempt at humor.

The only reason I am being a bit vague is because I still am not sure if I am even going to try to make this happen...It has no bearing on anyone here or their opinions....frankly.....because it would be counter productive to complain about it here ( life is too short )...I was just trying to discount other information I heard some where else (gun show) with the vast knowledge I get from here...so to let everyone here know what I heard...."you can't store powder in white containers. It will degrade the powder." Hence my post and question and apparently my intent to make you mad.

I swear I am going to make a T-Shirt that reads...."This might not be true. I heard it at a gun show."

TES

There are quite a few vendors selling powder at the shows.
    Last edited by TES; 11-22-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ok, so now I see the big picture. there is no bulk powder available. this is why you did not specify exactly what it is. I was led to believe you had this powder to sell and were trying to find out how to package this in smaller containers to sell at your local gun shows. This was a legitimate request.

there is nothing funny in any of your attempts at humor. You asked , what I thought was a serious and valid question. I gave a serious and valid reply.............. just what you were trying to achieve.

NOW, something funny............. where is that blown up horse? I got a big stick i want to try out.

I am so glad I could accommodate you sir!

BTW that was hilarious...great joke!

To the rest of you I am sorry that this went this way. It really was a simple question.
    Last edited by TES; 11-23-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Trigger....you just inspired me to re think my entire life.....man thank you...I'm gonna change ma ways because.....dang it...you said so!

Can I please have an option to shut down this thread? Lock it please...........

I worked at a local small arms ammunition factory for five years, in this time I "jugged up" hundreds to even thousands of pounds of 700x, 844, 846, 4895, hp 38 and other bulk powders we could get our hands on. We would use milk jugs, soda bottles, Gatorade bottles used powder kegs, pretty much what ever we could get 1, 4, or 8# in. In the five years I worked there as soon as word got out that we got a shipment of powder in it was gone fast. We would not even advertise we had it until it was ready to sell so we did not have a line of customers waiting in the driveway for me to get it ready. My thoughts on it are if it is stored in climate controlled environment and in a cabinet where light is not beaming on it all the time it should be fine. The price is usually cheaper when buying bulk repacked powder so to me it is something you have to consider are you going to use the powder in a reasonable amount of time or hoard it away for 20 years. Just my .02

wow....and then there is Scooby. good post... but still...lock it!
    Last edited by TES; 11-23-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    PM a moderator and request this thread be deleted.

trigger...there is much useful data / information here...and I am going to say that none of it came from you. lock it

Boolit Master
    TES...ask me if I care? now you are sounding childish. I'm over it.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    TES, I think you got your question answered about the color, or lack of, the containers you want to sell your "I,m not telling the co" powder in. So, sell your powder in whatever color container you desire, and I feel sure the free market economy system will treat you how it sees fit! So, good luck to you,sir
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Don't delete it........Just lock it. Get a mod involved.

banger