MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Jpw mix in a rifle?

Boolit Buddy

Jpw mix in a rifle?

Is anybody using the JPW & LLA lube in a rifle,like an 30-06 or a 308 Win?
    All i see is folks using it in hand guns? I want to try it but all i have are rifles!

Banned
    It will work fine in a rifle........... until it fails....all depends on your velocity and accuracy goals and the particulars of your gun/boolit combination. If it is all you have try it...if it fails to meet your expectations.....try something else.

Banned

I use a similar mix made with beeswax [still a tumble lube] in my 45/70,8mauser, and 25-20.
    it does fine, it also let's you know if you have any gas blow-bye in the throat.

I tried tumble lubing bullets for my 30-30 and my barrel leaded up really bad near the muzzle. I bought a really small crock pot that only holds about a pint of liquid. Now I dip lube and it works great.
    "We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Boolit Buddy
    Well,alot of folks looked at this thread but only a few replied ! I shall have to take it as the 45-45-10 is not that good for a rifle?
    I am not trying to stir things up,but i didn't want to use up time making it and fail!

Banned

it works just fine.
    heck straight lla and straight jpw works so does a mix of jpw and b-wax.

I've used alox and jpw with equal results in a 35 whelen all the way to at least 2500 plus fps with no leading and good accuracy. However i would get an odd flyer ever so often, but that was in MY rifle. Yours may be fine with it. I also used one coat of alox and one coat of jpw over the alox....worked equally well.

I never tried the 45/45/10. I just used alox or jpw straight. I don't see why it wouldn't work though, at least to a certain point. I just don't use it anymore in the whelen because of the flyer thing.

I use 45/45/10 with a little more alox added. I found a little leading with rifle and since I add thinned alox to the mix it when away. I have a luber-sizer but never use it. All my cast....223-45/70..... get 45/45/10 with a little alox added. Try it you will like it.

I use 45/45/10 in my M1 Carbine conversion. 45 Win Mag with a 19 inch barrel. I double tumble to make sure there's a good coating.

I use 45-45-10 tumble lube for 30-06, 8x57 mauser, 35 Remington, 30-30 winchester, .303 brit and probably a couple more. Generally I will use this tumble lube for low velocity high volume target rounds. Most of my "fun shooter" type loads run 1400-1600 fps and this lube does very well at those velocities.

Boolit Master
    I'm using jpw/lla for 2 different boolits in 30-30. So far its working great, but I have a lot more testing to do for the best load. Six different rifles sorta complicates the process!

Boolit Master
    I use 45/45/10 in 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, 35 rem, 44 mag, 500 S&W rifles all with good results. I'd say it works fine, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Boolit Buddy
    I found a used "Scentsy" at a second hand store , it works great for mixing your own 45/45/10 lube or a similar version. These are made to melt scented waxes around the house to overcome bad odors. There are several generic versions but they all work the same.

Boolit Master
    I didn't own a lubrisizer until 2010. Up until that time I relied on tumble lube for nearly all my cast shooting. I did the occasional pan lube for rifle, but not often because it's so slow--there's a reason people refer to it as pain lubing.

Anyway, I used it for full bore cast loads in a Marlin 45/70 with great accuracy and no leading at all. I never chronographed those loads, but the book value put them at near 2000fps.

It will work until it fails, but until that point it is a good solution. I now know one of the reason I have had such good luck with it was because I generally shot unsized bullets and therefore weren't encouraging gas blow-by with boolets that were too skinny.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I have never had a failure Bens Red from 32 cal to 3006.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    45-45-10 certainly works great with the Lee TL312-160-2R, C.E. Harris design boolit. Have shot up to 1700 fps from various rifles (.308 Win, 300 AAC BLK, 7.62x54R) with no leading.

I use the 45-45-10 over standard lube and gas check, and NEVER have had leading from heat treated bullets to 2200fps.
    Overkill maybe, but it sure beats scrubbing lead for a bore.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I use 45/45/10 or straight LLA in my .223 Bolt Action, 30-30 Marlin 336 & 8 MM Mausers as long as I'm in the light loads area 700 fps to 1300 fps ( usually with plain base boolits) & I shoot these a lot because they are accurate easy on the wallet & shoulder...... No problems with leading.

Once I move up to 1500 - 1800 fps range it's Ben's Red exclusively ( by then Gas Checks On!) Like Ben, if I'm nose riding, I tumble lube ( I do this first, however) in LLA then pan lube with Ben's Red. All my rifle boolit loads are on the lands ( including the Marlin 336 rifles since I'm only shooting for target work)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

just shot gas checked and 45/45/10 tumble lubed twice generously in a 23" barrel at 1800-2000 fps. zero indication of lead, or lube running out in my 8x57

Experiment with what works for you, and you'll be happy! Tried pan lubing and it works too, but it's painfully slow, too messy, and is too much work for me.
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Moderator Emeritus
    So long as you have god boolit fit for the rifle and you don't push the velocity much over 1400 fps (different for different rifles) then it is absolutely fine.

It is all I use for such loads with boolits that don't need sizing.

I get my 45-45-10 from White Label lubes on here, life is too short to cook your own when White Label makes such a fine product at such a friendly price with top notch service.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks