RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lucas red n tacky

Boolit Mold

Lucas red n tacky

Has anybody ever just spread this grease in the lube grooves, and then load the bullet. I want to try this on my 45/70 400 gr. Lyman bullets.

I fear that you would be inviting lube oil migration and powder contamination without having the waxes there to "contain" the oil in the grease. Just my thoughts and I have been wrong before!

Boolit Grand Master
    Ditto !

Boolit Mold
    Ya I thought of that. Just looking to keep in simple. I made a small test batch of 8 oz of bees wax, and 1/2 oz stp. It is fairly hard and pan lubes pretty good. Havent shot them yet though.

Boolit Grand Master
    It would be a huge mess.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Ya I thought of that. Just looking to keep in simple. I made a small test batch of 8 oz of bees wax, and 1/2 oz stp. It is fairly hard and pan lubes pretty good. Havent shot them yet though.
    Are you willing to try and make Ben's Red?

Boolit Mold
    Ya that was the original plan, thats why I have the red n tacky. I made Felix lube up once last year. I worked good on my 45/70 loads, but it is kinda messy to handle bullets with. Smells nice lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Are you willing to try and make Ben's Red?
    That would be his best bet if he wants to use that particular grease. He certainly wouldn't go wrong if he does make it.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

As far as keeping things simple...try r5r's simple lube. Once the beeswax is melted, it only takes about 15 minutes to finish...very simple, and very good firmish lube with a nice beeswax smell to it. Also easy to tweak it for more or less slickness.

With the red n tacky it would be a shame not to make Ben's Red. Just a few more ingredients and more time to make, but well worth the effort. It's become my favorite because it seems to "sling" off the boolit so quickly out of the bbl. I get very consistent accuracy with this lube and a bbl. that hardly ever needs a serious cleaning.
    Very good first shot cold bbl. shots from MY rifle too. Usually well inside the first group and never far. The simple lube was very good for 1st shots too though.
    Anyway.. you mentioned simple but also red n tacky....so just some suggestions that have worked for me. I'm no lube expert but i've become pretty addicted to Ben's Red for my neck of the woods.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to keep it simple try this:
    1 part Red-N-Tacky
    3 parts beeswax
    measure by volume or weight

Melt the beeswax first and then add the grease and heat very slowly or the beeswax will start burning.
    This is the recipe I got from Garth Choate when he was in the cast bullet lube business a while back. I have had good results with handgun and 1600 to 1800 fps loads in rifle.

If you want more velocity, as in rifle loads go with Ben,s Red.

Gary