WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mold Storage

Boolit Grand Master

Mold Storage

All of us have the delima of where to store our molds, dealing with rust, etc. Recently, my friend Ken and I were in a Harbor Freight store. I told Ken that I needed more storage room for some of my molds, We found four ( Yes , 4 ! ), tool boxes , all 4 boxes for a total of $25. So, after using this box for mold storage, I've still got 3 tool boxes left, that is certainly cheap enough.

Seems that over the years ( don't tell my wife ! ), I've been purchasing a lot of molds and have outgrown my mold storage cabinet that I built several years ago. See link below for photos :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Cabinet-Photos

The largest tool box seemed to be a natural for storage of molds. Ken is a top shelf wood worker. I told him what I wanted, the next time we crossed paths, he handed me my new mold storage case.

I'm VERY HAPPY with the mold storage box. I installed a 4 watt light in the bottom of the box for rust control. I may need to add some dehumidifying desiccant if the 4 watt bulb doesn't fully address the rust control problem .

If you are handy with a table saw ( like my friend Ken is) or know someone that is, this works out to be a very nice system and is VERY economical also.

Heat rises..........I decided to put the heat source in the bottom of the mold box :

Last edited by Ben; 11-06-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks good.

I have a particular organizer I got for my dies/shellplates/shell holders/ bushings, etc. Maybe I ought to post that up for ideas.

Boolit Grand Master
    You never know, someone might be able to take your idea and run with it.

Ben

Looks good
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

For a moment there I thought the trays came with the tool box. Very nice work. Just got thru cleaning out my mom's house and latched onto a couple of the big cardboard shoe storage closet organizers. Each has 15 compartments that will each hold at least two moulds with handles. I store mine in the house so rust is not an issue.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Well done!

Boolit Grand Master
    We've all seen molds that were abused, rusted, neglected.

It would have only taken someone a few moments of time and a better maintenance strategy to have avoided that kind of abuse to bullet molds.

Craftsmen went to a lot of trouble to make a fine mold, once the mold is in our hands, it is our responsibility to care for it properly and protect it.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    We've all seen molds that were abused, rusted, neglected.

It would have only taken someone a few moments of time and a better maintenance strategy to have avoided that kind of abuse to bullet molds.

Craftsmen went to a lot of trouble to make a fine mold, once the mold is in our hands, it is our responsibility to care for it properly and protect it.

Ben

+1
    A few moments of TLC after the mold has been used is key!

But still a very cool storage box.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knobster View Post
    +1
    A few moments of TLC after the mold has been used is key!

But still a very cool storage box.
    Thanks,

Yes, if anyone would just offer just a bit of TLC to their molds, rust and abuse could be avoided.

Ben

Boolit Mold
    i tried that corrosion resistant paper stuff but it deposited small amounts of whatever on the molds. no rust, but it was a hassle to clean off. now i just clean everything very, very well and then hit it with moly spray and put it in storage with silicone humidity removers.