Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Load All vs ?????

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Load All vs ?????

First, I am NOT much of a shotgun reloader, have maybe done 500 rounds or a bit more
    EVER on my Lee Load All in 12 ga.

A young friend with very limited funds is asking about reloading 12 ga for just fun shooting
    with friends (hand thrower for clay pigeons).

I am inclined to have him get a Lee Load All - mine worked fine, but I wonder if a used
    MEC or something else, or even new would be substantially superior. Remember he has
    LITTLE MONEY and needs more of a rapid payback than a wonderful tool for a lifetime.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I think he would be fine with the Lee Load-All as the bushings for a Pacific / Hornady are $5 each and the Mec bushings are a little less but still $4+ per bushing the last time I looked. The Lee comes with several bushings enough for target loads to heavy field loads. My dad bought a Load All when they first came out in the Mid to late 1970's and has loaded thousands of rounds on it. The loaded round always had decent looking crimps. I have not used it in at least 20 years.

I have Pacific / Hornady and Mec loaders, my personal favorite is the Pacific 266 loader, for me it is faster than the Mec 650's. The loading sequence is left to right it is almost as fast as 366 or Apex Progressive presses. If I forget to shut off the shot or powder on a 366 then the 266 is faster as you have 10 minutes of cleanup to deal with.

A Pacific DL155 would be a great loader they have been discontinued for several years, Mec 650 Jr are good loaders as well and are still in production, but both will probably be $100 used. One problem I see with the used loaders on Ebay; the sellers usually have no idea about functionality and if all parts are included as they buy them at estate sales for reselling.
    The Lee Load All is No comparison to a Pacific from the 1970's, parts are machined steel and hot blued the only plastic parts are the wad guide and crimp start.

The Hornady Apex loaders can usually be purchased at low prices, these were wonderful loaders conceptually. They had several great features but it was like comparing a fully loaded 1/2 ton pickup to a vinyl seated 1 ton and expecting to do the same tasks as the 1 ton truck. I would not recommend an Apex to your friend they will work but you need to be especially careful when operating.

Boolit Master

Since you've used one, you know the Load All II can and will load a good shell. Knowing he's on a tight budget the Load All II would be a good choice for a first shotshell loader. Mec's are great (I own 2 600 jr's) and their customer service is second to none.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    I've picked up MEC Loaders with universal charge bars for between 50-60 over the last year or two. I like them. If he can be patient and try to find a deal they are out there.
    I find them to be nicer than the load all. But either will get the job done and make some good shells.

Boolit Master
    When you say limited funds and just for fun, best to go with the Lee. They do load serviceable ammo without spending a bunch of money. Its just like centerfire reloading we always say start with the basics, a single stage then graduate upwards from there, vs just going and buying an expensive progressive as a first press.

I bought a 12ga lee almost 30 yrs ago. Still works fine. I dont really use it much, it gathered dust for a long time. I bought another for 20 and 16ga, old one cant be converted being the aluminum first model. I have both mounted to a block of wood back to back, just clamp it down where ever you want to use it, turn it around to load another ga.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Lee. I have moved on to Mecs for the three gauges I load now but the used a Lee in 16ga for quite a while and it did good. Just remember to have him verify the powder charge with a scale as I found the bushing chart to be off in my experience.

Boolit Bub
    Love em got mine mounted on a piece of 2X4 I take it to the field with me and clamp it to the bed of my truck and load right there while hunting birds.

Boolit Grand Master

OK, thanks. I had the same impression you guys have. I know the Lee works fine, and the
    big issue (as stated) with the used stuff is missing parts and such. A new Lee comes with
    a ton of bushings so is a great start. No doubt the MEC and other steel machines are "better"
    but he is 17 and money is very tight.

I appreciate the guidance, guys.

Bill

I just got the Lee Load all and wish I would have gotten the MEC 600, I purchased both the 12 and 20 gauge Lee's so they are probably going to be sold and I will get the MEC

My first shotgun shell reloader was the Lee. After about a year the lever snapped out of its socket on one side and repeatedly popped out after the first breach. While it was in one piece it did a fine job. I reloaded only the Lyman sabot slug. So, it was a simple process. I weighed all my charges separately.

I next purchased a 50+ year old MEC Jr. for $60 on eBay. For that and about $15 in parts and a good cleaning, I have a rock solid reloader. I wouldn't go back to the Lee. IMO, it is a more precise machine.

MichiganMike

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee load all and and although it worked fine once I bought a used Mec (for about the same money) I could never go back to the Lee. I am not a Lee basher either I am quite the opposite. A few have said it already, if you can keep your eye out for a used MEC Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    i own 2 mec 600 jr's 1 in 12 and 1 in 410 but I did start out with a lee load all . there biggest set back in my opinion is having to dismount the whole press from your bench to empty it after your done loading . other than that there not bad . if it wouldn't have been for a relative giving me his mec 12 gauge press I would still be using the lee load all .

Boolit Grand Master

I have no doubt that a MEC is a better made machine and will last longer. He
    will likely load a few hundred shells in the next 3-4 years and then have the money
    to find a better one if he is still loading shells.

Actually, initial quickie cost analysis shows that there is no way to load a shell for anything
    close to what Walmart shells cost, so unless powder and shot are located far cheaper
    than the first sources checked, not likely any reloader will be in his immediate future.

Any good sources for shot at reasonable prices?

Remember, we are talking about a couple of teens blasting a few claybirds out in a
    farmer's field for fun, not serious hunting or skeet or trap. Cheapest possible factory
    loads suit him just fine at this stage of his shotgun shooting. If we can figure out a
    way to load them cheaper, we will do it. Initial looks says "no way" to compete on
    price.

Bill

Boolit Master

I've used Rotometals reclaimed shot, 50# for $80 shipped. Don't know how that would stack up against Walmart prices, closest Walmart for me is two hours away...

I used a lee first then got a MEC. MEC is much better, but it cost more $$$$$$

MtGun44, Look at ¾ &7/8 oz 12 ga loads, this will reduce your cost be $1 / box. Our local Wal-Mart has had 100 round packs ofFederal promotional type shell on sale for $19.96. Problem is they never have any in stock. The other 100 round packs are about $27. You should be able to load ¾ oz loads for $4 /box or less with current component prices.
    There is a guy in Fremont NE that travels all over thecounty mining lead shot from trap and skeet ranges. He washes, tumbles, and re-graphites theshot. I have bought some from him forcasting purposes. He can be found onsome of the shotgun forums, search for Lead Miner his first name is Terry. He usually sells the shot close to index leadprices. I wish I would have bought moreat $0.60 / lb. The first time Ipurchased from him the shot had some steel shot mixed in. I was surprised when my pot still had whatappeared to be unmelted shot in it after heating for 20 minutes. I realized it was steel shot that had floatedto the top. He has since changed hisprocess and magnetically screens as it is being washed and tumbled. To give you an idea on pricing, our local shophas some brand new shot made in Peru that is $37 / 25 lb bag and Lawrence Brandfor $41 / bag. Some of the otherlocations around town are about $50 / bag.

I just purchased a MEC 650, I cant wait to get it!!! Now to get rid of the Lee Load All....

Boolit Buddy
    I hate to throw cold water on this thread BUT, a lee or MEC loaders are not the answer. With the cost of shells today, reloading is a very iffy matter.
    To reload and save money components will have to be purchased in very large quanitys.

That is powder in no less than 8 lb. caddies, primers five thousand box's, wads in 5,000 lots, and shot by the hundred pounds.

Start adding up what it costs by purchasing in small quanitys and then compare the cost of new shells by the flat. You will find the savings is not there, it's not like the old days!

Boolit Master

Jag is right economicaly at the moment. But this also a good time to be shopping for good deals as some folks throw in the towel and sell their components and loaders at bargain prices. They come along pretty often if you look and are inclined to do so.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I completely agree with jag if you are loading shotshells. The argument doesn't hold true for slugs and sabots. I only load the mini 12ga shotshells because I can't buy them locally.

BB

BB