WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Spotting Scopes

I've used both Barska and Bushnell spotting scopes. Barskas will do the job, but they are fragile. The one I had broke within a year. The optics weren't great, but for the price it did the job. The Bushnells are built better and have a pretty good limited warranty. I've had good luck with both their spotting scopes and binoculars. The 15-45 x 60 you mention should be good to about 200 yards and should be fairly bright.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a high end fluorite Kowa, a Nikon and a TeleVue (which you will never have heard of
    but is top quality astro/earth scope) and a Konuspot 20-60x-80.

No question that the Kowa is a bit sharper and has extremely long eye relief,
    and the Nikon sharp and is smaller and lighter, and the TeleVue Ranger is just
    - well, special and uses astro eyepieces, some of which are in a class by
    themselves - BUT the Konuspot is a really decent quality scope and has been
    my standard range scope now for 3-4 years. I thought enough of it to give several
    to relatives as gifts. Absolutely outstanding scope, IMO by far the best
    bargain out there in the $200-300 price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Konus-7120-20x...ds=konuspot+80

By the way, just looking through a scope and then looking through another
    a different time is almost 100% a waste of time if the scopes are anywhere
    near each other. Yes, you can tell absolute junk from a great scope, but not
    a good scope from a very good scope. If at all possible, set up the competitors
    side by side and look at something like a dollar bill or newspaper at about
    30-50 ft. See how small a type font you can read. Just looking at "stuff"
    is VERY misleading, you need to see what you can actually resolve, and that
    requires something like being able to read or not read fine print.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 10-31-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have a Nikon spotter xl 16 x 47 x 60 mm and for general glassing out to 800 - 1000 yds for deer and bear in the brush , I much prefer a good set of binos instead just because of the the one eye getting tired when using for extended periods. It isn't as accurate for judging size or detail but otherwise works good for me.
    Last edited by butch2570; 10-31-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

At one of the astronomy star parties out west they put a 4x8' sheet of cardboard on a cliff 1/2 mile from the viewing field. One of the daylight competitions is to see how many of the lines you can count in each 2 foot section. As you go left to right top to bottom the number of lines increase and change orientation. One of the best tests of a scope out there.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe try to see a Bar Code on a package across the store with both of them. I always liked checking them on comercial row at Camp Perry as they had stands outside with the samples set up and you could zero on the ranges or other things to see how good they were

Boolit Buddy
    Wanted to throw my 2Cents worth in for the Kowa... I have the 27X ler eyepiece on the old 77mm objective lens and it has soldiered along mightily for 20+ years. The thing to watch/want on spotting scopes is long eye relief (to avoid fatigue when you're on the scope a lot) and resolution... the clarity of the image. Kowas are outstanding. It's very common to be able to watch bullets in flight. Yep, they're pricey but buy once, cry once.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the information! A lot to digest. In hind sight, I should have mentioned that the primary use will be at the range out to 250-300 yds.

Thanks again,

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Boolit Grand Master

The only small draw back to the Kowas is they arnt real water proof. have died mine out with a hair drier and then a heat lamp several times after rain caught a match

Boolit Master

I just saw a member on this forum selling a Kowa TS-1 for $450. I know it's a bit over what you were looking for but that is one fine scope and great price.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigscot View Post
    Thanks for all the information! A lot to digest. In hind sight, I should have mentioned that the primary use will be at the range out to 250-300 yds. Thanks again, Bigscot
    250 - 300 yards calls for a quality spotting scope on most days if your calling shots in the black. 30 caliber and larger holes are a bit easier to spot on a good day but for 22's, lens quality will carry the day but 300 yards is a tough call with just the slightest of mirage. Might want to consider a high-end rifle scope between 24X and 32X for double duty use at the range.

For good used spotting scopes, search some birding forums - they usually have a few and most are high-end but reasonable priced.

Banned

How are you guys mounting your scopes? Tripods?

Reason I ask is, I'm building a range box with my ROCKDock mount on the top and I would like to ROCKDock an adjustable scope mount, and I wondered if there would be a need for such a thing by other range shooters? I like to take pre-primed brass, press, scale and powder to the range as well to work up loads. I can pretty much mount anything to the dock.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Banned

For example-

You could take a Range Box like this one, mount a ROCKDock on the top and be able to enter change a reloading press- light weigh LEE turret would be nice, and have an adjustable scope mount base.

Not a bad looking box for $60.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/620...ProductFinding

Boolit Master
    I have read various times that the Konus scope is a great buy for about $200 dollars. I myself have a Kowa with the fluorite lens and 27X long eye relief eye piece but you are now talking about $2800 dollars to buy one now.

You don't need more then 25X - 27X power, but look for something with long eye relief (25mm or more) and at least a 60mm front objective lens. My Kowa is the 45 degree angle one that I use for prone shooting. A straight scope causes you to crank your neck something bad when you are in the prone shooting position.

Boolit Grand Master

IMO, finding .22 cal holes in the black at 250-300 is not going to happen most
    days, even with the finest scope with a 80mm or so objective. Not too bad on a
    white target with a small aiming point on a good day, but even then not certain if
    the light is edgewise or the target well patched.

Strongly suggest you find a Kowa and a Konuspot and compare side by side looking
    at the same thing - something with stuff too small to resolve and then some stuff
    large enough to resolve - newspaper with different font sizes is good. The Kowa
    is better, but you will be impressed with how close the Konus will come for 1/4 to 1/8th
    the money, new. The used Kowa for $450 is a fair price, and they are great scopes
    and if cared for, will last a lifetime.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    As far as what to mount it on... it depends on what you intend to do with it and under what conditions. If it's windy where you plan to use it you need a heavy, sturdy tripod. We use a big Bogen made for video cameras. If your scope is shivering like a dog pooping peach pits you won't be able to tell much about what you're looking at.

Boolit Master

This is one of the times to buy once and cry once. Great optics cost, but they're worth it.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Just did some looking around and Optics sure have taken a jump in the last few years.

I bought a 20-60 X 80 Vanguard branded as a Winchester years ago at a gun show. Do not remember what the retail price was on the item but the fellow selling it let me have the one I bought for $75.00 because he claimed he had scuffed up the case it cam in.

Anyway, the scope works well for me out to 200 yds, even picks up the holes in the black at that distance. I realize it's not the High dollar scope, but then I do not drive a Land Rover either.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

Optics these days are being made via computer instead of being individually hand ground. High end optics are the best of each lot sorted out for hand polishing to fine tune them. Not to many making mirrors and lenses these days, Taiwan and China primarily and they resell to many different scope makers.