MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convection toaster oven or regular?

Boolit Master

Convection toaster oven or regular?

Hi all,
    Looking to start powder coating bullets. I was wondering what type toaster was working the best for everyone. Thanks in advance!

I picked up a convection oven at a garage sale. You want one that hits 400+ and the airflow is far more even. I found mine for $15.

See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218783-Will-this-work-well-for-powder-coating-and-or-polymer-paint&highlight=convection

OF

Vendor Sponsor

Convection will give a better smoother finish
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have two toaster ovens and they both do a great job.

Boolit Master

non-convection ovens can have cool spots, a convection will be much better

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If you can find a used one or afford a new one, get a convection oven by all means. I threw away 2 standard ovens early on in this process due to hot/cold spots, melted & slumping boolits, under cured powder.

The airflow gives you nice even heating. Just get an oven thermometer to check the dial on the front which will probably be off by as much as 75F. They use cheap thermostats in toaster ovens.

banger

Boolit Master
    I got an oster at goodwill for $7 ck with them and ck often
    Frank G.

I just happened to stop at a church yard sale on Saturday across the road from the shooting range after shooting. They had two convection ovens, one for $5 and one for $6. I got them both!

The one I've checked ran 50F degrees hotter than the set temperature as tested with a cheap oven thermometer.

While a regular toaster was working fine, a convection oven has to be better. I noticed my last batch of HT'D boolits came out looking differently depending on their position in the oven.

Boolit Master
    I got a new Oster at Roses (the most ghetto of ghetto department stores) for $40 the other week. Holds two large trays and have no complaints. Like many here I'm sure you can find cheaper, but I was tired of my ratty old one.

Convection is definitely more consistent than regular.

Boolit Man

What Brand or Model is a Good one to Get ? I want one with 2 racks in it. Just about to get Started PC ing.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Mine is a Cusinart convection toaster oven (that's what was on the kitchen counter when I started powder coating) it works great. Gp

I use a regular toaster oven with fine results.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if any one makes a small battery run fan that would hold up to oven heat ?

Quote Originally Posted by ambergrifleman View Post
    What Brand or Model is a Good one to Get ? I want one with 2 racks in it. Just about to get Started PC ing.
    Walmart, Hamilton 12" pizza oven, two racks, under $60.
    Last edited by fredj338; 10-05-2015 at 02:40 AM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I'm giving up my toaster for convection and haunted goodwill/salvation army/2nd hand stores until I found one like this.

the heating unit and side cover lift off giving full access to the rack area - much easier to stack on then putting in the tray and then moving the tray.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I just went to goodwill and got one for $5. and then cut the bottom out of it. I can only do one rack at a time but I don't have to worry about moving the rack and tipping boolits over.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    We had a GE microwave/convection combination oven. The microwave part gave up the ghost, but the convection part had cooked maybe 2 pies and still worked well. Had to replace it, but the convection went down to the reloading room to heat treat boolits. Now it is the PC oven and works great.
    The enemy of good is better.

Artful - I'd like to find a rig like that for an experiment. Use a different top with a slow speed fan - ESPC into the unit with the fan on, to get more even coverage. Maybe even apply HV to the blade. Then change tops and cook.
    I blew out the HF gun tube with air this morning before coating and it worked much better for a while. It's been setting for a few months and damp powder coated the insides. The electrode got cleaned off too. The high $$ guns have a purge supply to do this.
    Whatever!

""If you can find a used one or afford a new one, get a convection oven by all means. I threw away 2 standard ovens early on in this process due to hot/cold spots, melted & slumping boolits, under cured powder."'

true that, Mine was a free regular toaster oven and it melts boolits a convection would have been better but free is free.

Boolit Master
    I have a large Hamilton Beach that I have now used for over a year and it has now cooked thousands of bullets. I have tried both cooking cycles using the convection and just the standard bake and the convection is more even and heats up faster. My oven goes to 400 in 18 minutes so I just load it up set the timer and come back later to unload. The oven came with two wire racks and I made a third by cutting down a larger rack. I covered the wire racks with sheetmetal to give me a smooth flat surface. I have a Taylor glass oven thermometer that is very accurate attached to the front of my main rack that I can easily read through the glass oven door. As stated you can find a hardly used toaster ovens at a give away price or even buy a new convection oven at Costco for $47.