WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 for self defense

Boolit Master

I would carry one of my top break 38 S&W revolvers before I would carry anything in .22, especially an auto version. A .32 TB or a more modern .32 swing out would weigh even less.

Boolit Master
    What I did for my wife was to take her to the LGS and let her handle several different handguns. She can shoot the snot out of my Glock in 40, but can't rack the slide. She decided on a Ruger sp101. I took the stock grip panels off and replaced them with Hogue's. I've cast and loaded for it some 158gr RF out of a LEE mold and loaded them light for her to practice with. For defensive purposes I still load 38's, but give them more oomph. I can cast and load for 38 much less expensively than 22 goes for right now and the 38 has a lot more power than a 22.

I will say though that if a 22 is all you have I'd carry it. I promise I wouldn't want to be shot by one and don't figure anyone else would either, there are just much better options available. Just a thought

There is a fairly reliable story going around that a home owner surprised a burglar one winter night, and shot him with a 25acp (I know it is not a 22lr). The burglar was wearing a Navy pea coat at the time. The little 25 caliber bullet never penetrated the coat. What does that tell us about the value of a 25acp (and a 22lr) for self defense?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I would carry one of my top break 38 S&W revolvers before I would carry anything in .22, especially an auto version. A .32 TB or a more modern .32 swing out would weigh even less.
    There's also the .327 magnum. From a brass availability standpoint though, I would probably stay with the .357 magnum instead.

Revolver loaded with .38 the heavier frame of a .357 might or might not be an advantage for the reasons given. Light gun equal more recoil.

Lot of quality models to choose from providing her with enough choice to allow her to find something that feels right. Lighter loads for practice with a few rounds of full power to keep her comfortable with the "feel" of a slightly harder hitting SD round. I do the same thing with a .357 practice with .38 loads but run a few full power .357 down the pipe before I finish.

Agree with those that said practice getting weapon onto target from carry location is really important, but the comfort and recoil might determine if a second shot is on target. My wife chose a lady Rossi out of all the revolvers at the LGS, it fits her hand so she likes it, more recoil than the Ruger 101 but she likes her choice better so she is happy, and happy wife practices.

Boolit Master
    Aim for the face. If the wound is fatal the encounter is over. If not, hopefully his bell has been rung, giving your wife a chance to run or fire again.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I'm going to echo what a lot of folks here have already said. A good 38 or 357 revolver with a 2" or 3" barrel would be just perfect for her to carry while she's walking those trails.

I bought a Taurus Model 65 357 Magnum with a 4" barrel for my wife two years ago when my Army job at the time put me on the road 2 weeks out of every month. My dear wife can shoot my 1911s and my FEG Hi-Power with pretty good accuracy but she has issues with all three pistols' slides. The revolver was straight-forward with fixed sights and she quickly learned how to operate it in both single-action as well as in double-action mode. She got very good and is confident with that pistol at point blank out to 10yards which is probably the farthest she'd probably have to fire the pistol at an assailant or wild animal on a trail. Last year, SHE asked if she could purchase a 38 with a smaller barrel so she could place it in her purse when she started working in downtown Indianapolis. She made an informed review of the pistols that the local gunshop offered in new and used as well as what they could order in. SHE (again my emphasis) decided to purchase another Taurus. SHE chose a Taurus 617SS2 Revolver which is a 7-shot 357Mag Stainless Steel pistol with fixed sights on a 2" barrel because the controls and grips where the same as what she learned on with the Model 65. She is very confident with both pistols now and the 617 is her preferred CCW pistol as well. I load the 617 with 38 Special brass and a 150gr SWC over 5gr of Unique putting that hunk out at 800fps. Recoil is mild in both pistols and it hits where she aims with the fixed sights.

So the Model 65 is now a range and smallgame pistol for us and I have plans to develop a good 180gr short-range deer load when I get some more time to dedicate to it.

I went back to the Taurus website to make sure I had the model number correct and not only does Taurus offer a 9mm revolver but also a 380 ACP revolver as well!

The most important piece out of this message that I will give you is let her decide and test fire the pistol before you buy one. I bought the Taurus 65 to give her a pistol that soaked up standard 38 Special load recoils to help prevent any flinches/jerks that might develop in a new shooter and then let her decide on her next pistol based off her experience with the first one. I'm sure you'll see the same with your wife as well as long as you do your homework first.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

If she and you decide on a small frame 5 shooter my I suggest a set of CT laser grips. With the harder DA trigger pull, less ammo available she'll have better luck getting on target and making those shots count. Sounds like she is comfortable with her larger DA revolver so makes sense to keep with the same type of weapon. I usually carry a Smith 442 Pro Airweight in my front pocket and run with it in a belly band. Don't forget that the .327 Fed guns can also shoot .32 H&R mag, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W and .32 ACP. Another suggestion would be a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP which is just a tad larger then its twin brothers in .22LR/.25 ACP (Bobcat), it also has the tip up barrel so she won't have to rack a slide.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Buddy
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the .22 Magnum. With some of the new ammo designed for self defense I would prefer it over the .22 Long Rifle. Not as good as a .38 Special but better than the .22 long rifle. I am in Illinois and have not gotten my permit to carry yet but my first choice is a Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special revolver.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the .22 Magnum. With some of the new ammo designed for self defense I would prefer it over the .22 Long Rifle. Not as good as a .38 Special but better than the .22 long rifle. I am in Illinois and have not gotten my permit to carry yet but my first choice is a Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special revolver.
    This being a reloading forum, perhaps we might be a bit partial to calibers than we can reload?

My sons wife wanted a .22 auto but I talked her out of it because of the FTF problem. Some will argue all day on the .22 vs. center fire. I for one would not want to be shot with a .22! And then the stories of empting a .44 mag not being enough! Egad!
    But there is no way I would want her to trust that a .22 won't misfire. As to pistol vs. revolver there's a lot less to think about with a revolver under stress...so my vote is for a .38 stubby!

Boolit Buddy
    Again, thanks everyone for all the advice, definitely some points brought up that I hadn't considered. Pretty well sums up my original thinking, 357 stubby/w light reloads for practice, pretty hard combo to beat IMHO. Its nice to get a different view from the other side so to speak. Gonna try and do some shopping this weekend.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbilly View Post
    There is a fairly reliable story going around that a home owner surprised a burglar one winter night, and shot him with a 25acp (I know it is not a 22lr). The burglar was wearing a Navy pea coat at the time. The little 25 caliber bullet never penetrated the coat. What does that tell us about the value of a 25acp (and a 22lr) for self defense?
    a Two inch barrel is TOO SHORT to develop velocity and Energy for a small caliber Self Defense Firearm is what I get from that story. Yes, i know longer barrels are ahrder to use in Concealed Carry but it is still true.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    No personal experienc enor testing but I believe a .32 Colt Long or .32 S&W Long out of a Four Inch Barrel into a Knee Cap would slow an attacker considerably, at least long enough to place one in the Forehead between the eyes if the attacker is still approaching.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    A .22 you can hit with is better than a cannon you can't hit with.
    The .22 has no stopping power to speak of but according to an article written by a surgeon you are seven times more likely to die from a .22 bullet than from a .38 bullet if both hit the same place.
    Thats partly due to staff infections from debris caught in the lube and carried into the wound and the wandering small diameter bullet track. Another major factor is internal bleeding especially if the cardial sheath is penetrated. That sheath will close up behind a .22 hole and blood leaking from vessels will build up and crush the heart muscle. A larger bullet hole lets blood leak out allowing the heart to continue beating.

The .22 generally penetrates bone very well, at least if the barrel length is sufficient to allow a reasonable velocity. The skull is easily penetrated by a .22 with the same problem of blood not leaking out and builing up to crush brain tissue. A .22 to the cranium is like a super stroke.
    This is why the old time hitmen liked to use an ice pick, and in modern times the IRA call it presenting the victim with the OBE (one behind the ear).
    If theres enough of a hole to let the blood out the victim might survive with minimum brain damage.

Boolit Master
    As has been said, better a hit with a .22 than a miss with something else.

That said, after many go-rounds with my wife and her shooting almost everything under the sun, she settled on a .32 revolver. It's about the same size as the .22, practice ammo can be downloaded to recoil like the .22, and she practices enough to be deadly accurate. Full power ammo has hollow points that open nicely at the 1000 FPS they're traveling at.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I shoot on weekends with a couple of very capable Lady shooters that would put half a dozen 22's into your chest before you new what was happening,there's no way I would go face to face with them. Pat

Not good to be shot with any gun. Right?

Not good though to be killed by a "dead" bear that's still figuring it out after being shot with the wrong gun or in the wrong place.

If it's all you have to shoot, might as well. Worst that will happen is piffing off your killer who was going to kill you anyway.

That being said one should plan better.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    one gunstore local to me is selling quite a few Ruger LCR 22 WMR for women to carry
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Something is better then nothing! Even if is a 22, the attacker doesn't know it's a 22.