Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The .460 Smith and Wesson Rifle

The .460 Smith and Wesson Rifle

Recently I built a rifle using a .45 caliber barrel that I chambered for the .460 Smith and Wesson.

With a 16.5" barrel and threaded for a suppressor, our shooting tests using various cast boolits have been very satisfying. The rifle was built specifically for hunting with a suppressor and meant to take both hogs and deer.

I had initially thought of doing the same with a .500 S&W cartridge, but the .460 seemed to be a bit more practical for several reasons. For one, off the shelf .45 Colt could be used as a subsonic round that could be bought at any Mom and Pop shop or even at the local Walmart. For those that don't reload, its a simple matter of buying a box. Most .45's use a 255 grain bullet running around 800+ FPS, and not much can take a hit from one and live to tell about it.

Another reason was that the harder hitting .454 Casull could be used if one wanted to.

Finally, if one wanted to load some serious 405 grain thumpers used for the various .45 rifles, it could be done easily and cheaply with cast lead boolits.

We first tried some .45 Colt loads. Using a suppressor made by X-Caliber, it surprised everyone shooting it. It was accurate and it was as quiet as any .45 out there. I was initially concerned that the short case in the longer chamber might lose some accuracy due to the bullet "jump" but this wasn't an issue at all. We first did .25 yards and stacked the boolits on top of each other, once the rifle was zeroed, it was pretty much a waste of time to shoot at 25 yards.

Then, we tried using the longer .460 cases and stuffed some cast lead 255's in it. These shot just as well.

Next, we tried using the .458 diameter 45-70 bullets that were 405 grains. These were sized from .458, to .452 in three steps. Once again, accuracy was excellent and the suppression was awesome, that .405 grain chunk of lead slapping the berm being the predominate sound. It sounded like a brick hitting the berm at a high rate of speed.

The first rifles we tried were two different Encore rifles. Both were cut back to 16"5 and threaded 5/8-24. Both performed as expected, recoil was mild and sound was not loud.
    After shooting them quite a bit, I decided that a bolt action rifle with a magazine for quick re-load capability might be great for pig thumping.

So, I bought a barrel blank in .45, ordered a reamer from PTG and chambered the barrel for the .460. I used a Savage that originally came with two barrels, both a .308 and a .450 Bushmaster.

I had to open up the bolt face a bit for the .460 as it has a bigger rim than the above. Not hard to do really as the bolt face is easily removed from the bolt so that it can be chucked up in the lathe and counterbored. Then, the barrel was fit to the rifle. That was pretty much it.

The cases fit in the magazine that came with the rifle and they feed and eject great. While some care must be used to chamber the cartridges in the magazine due to the rim, once a system is figured out, it works well enough.

The more I shoot this rifle, the more I like it. Soon I will Dura Coat the barrel just to make it match the rest of the rifle. The hard core hog hunters in this area love it. While I haven't killed anything with it yet, I intend to try for both deer and hog.

Another added plus is the fact that if one see's a hog at a distance, you can simply remove the suppressor, load a full house supersonic round in it and shoot at ranges that the slow moving suppressed round would be hitting the ground at.

Its the best of both worlds really. I don't know of anything in North America that could stand up to 405 grain bullet moving at 1000 FPS.

Here's a picture.

Its fun and entertaining. Its quiet too.
    What do you think?
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Nice! I wish someone made a 460 levergun.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a real thumper! Is the suppressor not rated for full power loads? Just wondering why remove it...

Its a .45 can rated for .45 ACP. I don't think that a full house .460 would do it any good.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

Got it. Yeah probably not the best idea...

Boolit Master
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but someone DOES make a lever action in .460. Also .500 S&W.
    http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog...mory-products/

Thinking more suited to a blue collar price.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I hadn't checked the prices when I posted. Now that I have, I see they are rather pricey.

Boolit Buddy
    I've also been looking for the same exact thing for the same reasons. Also, the only one I found was bighorn too, and while it appears they make a wonderful gun, my last truck cost less.

There does seem to be some interest out there for a 460 bolt or lever, I hope someone makes something like was said above more at a blue collar price point.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its fun and entertaining. Its quiet too.
    What do you think?
    That's pretty cool, kinda like a John's Guns 77/44, but bigger. Looking forward to some kill pics.

Have you tried the 330gr hollow point Gould bullet (Lyman 457122 iirc)? I used to size it down to .452 and run it through my 45 Colt revolvers; it was very accurate. It has a deep hollow point, but I don't know if it would expand subsonic or not. The nose can be opened up with a pointed top punch in a luber-sizer though.

What kind of ballistics do you get out of that thing with full house .460 loads?

It got my attention on the encore platform as i just happen to have an encore. 45 colt to 460 is neat short rifle concept for sure....i like it!

This is great. Thanks for sharing

Probably a very efficient platform for the cartridge. With that barrel length and a powder like 1680 or 4198 behind the 405 grainer, 1300 fps aught to be about perfect. And maybe a nice 325-350 grain flat point around 1600-1800 fps for a decently flat shooting 150 yd load. Kind of a 45-70 junior, with less powder consumption and weight.

Im jealous. Ill have to keep my eyes peeled for a parts gun. Ive never built a gun, but this is inspirational

What is the twist rate for your barrel?

Nice work, by the way!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I thought a 336 would be just the ticket if a guy rebbl'd a 450 Marlin action.
    I've wanted to do 1 in something for years and add a 28 ga wad-lok extended choke to it . But I hunt deer in places running over with grouse and Chucker and often rabbits. A few 410s would be very handy.
    in case it's not clear I dig it, a lot.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

In Remembrance
    I have only seen one factory 460 rifle. A ruger single shot a friend a friend owns. I don't know how many ruger built, but I do know the owner of the lgs that ordered it for him tried to buy it himself when it came in. As far as I know, it is still unfired.

Boolit Master
    Why not just get a 45/70 and load it down with Trail Boss for reduced loads?

Boolit Buddy
    Or a model 92 in .45 Colt?

Boolit Master
    That is a nice looking rifle and I do see the draw and the use for a rifle so chambered. Where I have a problem with it is that it would mean I'd have to go buy another suppressor. Don't think momma would like that right now seeing that I just drug home a new Ruger SRH in 454 Casull today.

I think that combo would be an awesome addition.

I wish I had your skill in building firearms. I was comparing my Lee .457 340gr slug to my Lee .476 325gr and 400gr slugs the other day. Every time I compare them I wish I had the skill to change a 45-70 into a 475-70. I bet it wouldn't even be that hard but just have no idea how to go about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TMenezes View Post
    I wish I had your skill in building firearms. I was comparing my Lee .457 340gr slug to my Lee .476 325gr and 400gr slugs the other day. Every time I compare them I wish I had the skill to change a 45-70 into a 475-70. I bet it wouldn't even be that hard but just have no idea how to go about it.
    Honestly - very difficult. The 45/70 is a straight wall cartridge - very little body taper. You would have to start with a 50/70 case (unobtanium) - custom dies to neck it down, and a full on custom die set to reload... then - find a 476 barrel... And have a custom 1-off chamber reamer cut for it. Then - fit it all up to a rifle action...

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Now that 460 S&W sounds like a good one. That would be a hum-dinger in a Marlin 1895 frame. Probably would have to keep the pressures a bit on the sanity side not going to far past "recommended 45-70 loadings".
    Or You can look at the Winchester 71 platform. Caliber .348 brass is attainable yearly. The caliber .348 brass has already been blown out to caliber .50 and .475 so it is not an impossible feat. You just have to be prepared to "dig deeply" into the savings.
    Just search .500 Alaskan and there were at least 3 shops turning out the cartridge. I am sure with just the waving of cash and willing to wait a year or so you would have it.
    I have a caliber .414 Supermag and a .412 /444 each on a 336 Marlin chasis that are beyond fun to shoot and put a 265 - 340 grain cast boolit out the tube with authority that my little caliber .41 Mag Marlin Cowboy can only dream about. So it is just a matterof getting the project moving and being willing to waith upon the months to see it through. To me well worth the wait to have that caliber in hand youhave always wanted.
    Mike in ILL till 10 November
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.