Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you make your own defense rounds?

I use this tool and range lead to make my self defense loads. So far they have performed flawlessly. The cost is small, primers and powder and time.

Banned

^ This is perfect. Nice
    I use something similar.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    I use this tool and range lead to make my self defense loads. So far they have performed flawlessly. The cost is small, primers and powder and time.

Throwing the flag on this one. That mold is way too clean.....
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Posts #97, #98 and #99 above represent the truth of the matter.

If percentages matter (apparently they do, to some people) consider this:

99.99% of all police organizations in the WORLD, and

99.99% of military organizations in the WORLD....

... are "getting by" just fine with factory ammo. Let it be noted that these are the groups which operate at the pointy end of "social situations" with the certainty that a goodly amount of their shooting will be for real, and the probability of having to shoot in deadly-force scenarios is very high.

(I was going to say "all", or "100%" of these organizations shoot factory stuff, but just KNEW that someone would pick at that particular nit.)

Also, how do you handload-users KNOW that any particular primer is actually going to fire when needed? That's a "factory" component, too.
    I'm not so sure they are "just fine". There is a reason that departments all require the exact same gun, with the exact same ammo. when there are malfunctions with the ammo, they have to have interchangeable mags they can retrieve from other officers. This is how it was stated to me by the sheriff. It has happened enough that it was a concern for nearly every department out there.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I always carry a revolver. If one of my Black Talons gives me a FTF, I'll just give the BG the other 5.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

If I truly need a defense round then someone is in my house. So whatever is handy that will get me to my shotgun is fine.

For my shotgun, yes I use a mix of factory loads and some reloaded trap loads.

7 &1/2 shot is perfect IMO for not going through 2-3 walls and killing someone I don't mean to.

Once they are out my front door they are the Police Dept's problem not mine.

I will say that if someone is silly enough to try to so something when I'm in my basement reloading area I feel very very sorry for them.
    The SKS is loaded, and right next to me, with the bolt back. 10 handloads with 185 grain boolits in the Mag waiting patiently. Being as I am below ground level I don't worry much about the guy next door. 10 stripper clips loaded and ready right below the SKS. If that isn't enough, well then it is WWIII and the rules of engagement change.

I don't do a lot of pistol, or reload for pistol, however I expect that I will be in the future. But for now my pistol ammo is all factory. I don't CC, in fact I don't get out much.

Just want to be left alone really.

Must we really go down this road again?

Boolit Buddy
    hey, its my first time.....

If something needs shot, shoot it. In the heat of the moment, all that matters is that the threat dies. I killed a hog with a 1911 45 and HP. Best choice? No. But its what I had in my hand.

Boolit Buddy
    If you guys want to buy me my ammunition then I'll be glad to carry and practice using factory rounds, just like all those police departments around this nation and the globe. If you're really generous I'd like steak most every day as well and organically grown vegetables.

What I'm saying is when someone else is footing the bill strange rules develop that encourage, or rather demand that others keep paying the bill. I have carried 230 grain Federal Hyda-Shok ammo for about 20 years now. Why? I listened to the self-proclaimed experts who say it is smart from a legal standpoint and they did open up well in my tests compared to other brands. They always looked impressive in the shooting results gathered by Marshall & Sanow.

That is about to change though. Still nothing wrong with Hydra-Shoks, but I think I can do as well with cast, at a lower cost and I won't be cleaning gilding metal from my barrel anymore.

I'm not an expert by any means, but in the years I've reloaded thousands of rounds I've had loads without powder twice and some primers I failed to seat properly leading to misfires. These were all just in practice. Coincidentally though, during that same time, I've helped others drive factory loaded bullets from their barrels more times than that.

That's my non-expert thoughts on the matter. Big and slow. I guess I'm sort of a Fackler kind of guy. I'm sort of an old guy now so if I make a bad mistake in a self-defense situation and lose it won't be as tragic as if some young fellow with kids makes the same mistake.

Still I remember those factory loaded bullets I've had to drive out of other people's barrels. Bet all my hand loaded self-defense ammo has powder and properly seated powder coated boolits.....and I'm willing to bet my life that they'll all go bang. Big and slow. Martin would be proud of me I think........Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Bet you need to work on malfunction clearing drills.

All your years of reloading probably haven't produced as many rounds as one week of Federals production line. Statistically, your track records are about the same.
    I carry one of those antiquated revolvers. My malfunction clearing drill consists of pulling the trigger again.

Boolit Master
    Dubber,
    That just isn't complicated enough. Can't you complicate things a bit so you fit in better with the mall ninjas at my range?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Dubber,
    That just isn't complicated enough. Can't you complicate things a bit so you fit in better with the mall ninjas at my range?
    I'm sorry I'm such a throwback. My carry guns don't even have bolt on lasers, or flashlights, or bayonets. Someday I'll be cool enough. Maybe.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought about getting a light. Some of those could about blind you. Problem is that if you are pulling your weapon, its time to shoot. So that kinda ngates the need
    For a light.

Boolit Master
    After training more than just a few new cop recruits over the years with lights mounted to guns I have really come to see the value in a separate hand held light!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mallen View Post
    I thought about getting a light. Some of those could about blind you. Problem is that if you are pulling your weapon, its time to shoot. So that kinda ngates the need
    For a light.
    Great, now you'll have something else to explain to the jury; why you needed a 2,000 lumen flashlight when a candle might have been sufficient...
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Great, now you'll have something else to explain to the jury; why you needed a 2,000 lumen flashlight when a candle might have been sufficient...
    hehe, made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The prosecutor can make it look like ANY ammo choice is the most evil thing ever.

Reloads = Super killer custom rounds.

Hunting rounds = You want to hunt people.

Same as local PD = You wanna play cops and dead guys.

Target rounds = So people are just targets to you?

Defending your actions is your real concern. Your ammo choice is a non-issue.
    LOL...too much tv

Quote Originally Posted by mallen View Post
    from what others here have said, there arnt any
    But as with anything else, beginnings are with a first. Would you like to be one? I can't imagine the legal expense, defending myself in a shooting case and for that, I'd rather not give the prosecution anything to chew on.

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Not to mention it will probably take 1-3 years to get through the civil case and through discovery both sides are going to learn your an avid shooter and reloader. It seemed to boil down to which side can win the most jurors.
    Or the Pesos