Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie AR15 Build Accurate 16" Barrel Help

Newbie AR15 Build Accurate 16" Barrel Help

I just ordered a PSA Blem Bare Lower for a build and since I know pretty much O About the AR I thought hey there might be a few here that might know something. .

So I am looking for an Accurate Barrel in the 16" range with a Wylde Chamber as from what I have read it is a good chamber type to go with that will not break the bank? And to use around 75-77 Gr Bullets as from what I understand that is as large a bullet type that can be loaded into an AR Magazine?

For Barrels I have been looking at Rainier Arms,Wilson and White Oak? They are in the $250.00-$290.00 Range.

Thank You for any help with my CRAZINESS lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

There is a ton of writeups on AR15 chambers and barrels. IMO either a Wylde or NATO chamber would be fine. Since you're loading your own you will find the best combo for your rifle whether its .223 or 5.56 spec. If you do get a .223 barrel you are limited in what ammo can safely be used. My PSA 5.56 govt profile shoots sub MOA with good ammo and the right handload even though its not a heavy/bull barrel or free floated. Don't think you have to break the bank to get a decent barrel. If you are shooting long range varmints or BR, that's a different animal altogether.

I was thinking about one of these. https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3324 Or something like this? http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-C...o/TR-556SPR18/

Of Course there are others. But then again I am still looking but know very little about what I am looking for.

Also trying to decide between a 16" barrel or an 18" barrel.

And yes I am pretty positive that I will either go with the 5.56 Nato or the Wylde Chamber.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Some say 80gr bulets will fit in a mag but usually 77 is max. Check twist rates too. 1:9 is common and should work up to 77gr bullet weight but for certain projectiles like 62gr tracers and 70gr TSX you need 1:7

Boolit Master

And keep in mind if you are looking for one to shoot cast out of a slower twist usually gives better results.

Boolit Master

out of your choices, i'd pick the white oak barrel.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    A barrel and bolt is better from the same manufacturer even though the AR-15/M-16 parts are to be built to "mil spec" not all are! Also go with the "full-auto" type bolt. This is a bolt that has more steel left in it's construction and that is the only difference from the "semi-auto" bolt. The full auto type will not make the rifle full auto of course!

As far as my recommendation I say Daniel Defense Chrome Lined Hammer Forged Barrels! In your price range and is a VERY accurate barrel! Also go with a "Middy" gas length barrel type! Here is a pic of my build with DD barrel and bolt built on a Spikes Tacticle upper and lower with Madpul furniture!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub
    Timely post! I'm currently on the same journey with my first build. I picked up the Wilson barrel a few weeks back, beautiful craftsmanship but the proof of course will be how it shoots when complete. I will be taking my time picking up the remaining components but the upper will be the next in line. I like the looks of a slick side however there are far fewer choices out there. Spikes is probably my top choice so far.

Banned

The Rainier Barrels are GTG. Get the best one you can afford. Wilson barrels start out shooting awesome. But after a few thousand rounds they down hill very fast. If you go White Oak, make sure to have them use a Krieger barrel. The Wilson barrels are too soft. That and they don't know how to keep a chamber centered in the bore. You don't chamber a barrel from the outside diameter of the barrel. Lothar-Walther also makes good barrels.

And go with a 1-8 twist to make sure you can run the 77 gr bullets. Some 1-9 will run them fine, other will not. Part of it has to do with how much gas is used to run the action. Also go a midlength gas. They are so much smoother than the carbine.

Boolit Buddy
    My first build was on a $60 lower with a $300 complete upper assembly in 300 blackout from DSA. I mostly used cheap PSA parts for the rest of it. My first loads were 20 cut down mixed brass with 110 gr bullets over H110. Took it out for the first time (in a cow pasture shooting off a makeshift rest, no less) and shot ten rounds into a 1.5" group at 100 yards, with iron sites. I was quickly sold on both the blackout and the AR platform. It now sports a free float handgaurd and I changed my load to 147 gr bullets. It's now the equal of any bolt action I have.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinMI View Post
    Timely post! I'm currently on the same journey with my first build. I picked up the Wilson barrel a few weeks back, beautiful craftsmanship but the proof of course will be how it shoots when complete. I will be taking my time picking up the remaining components but the upper will be the next in line. I like the looks of a slick side however there are far fewer choices out there. Spikes is probably my top choice so far.
    From my Understanding a Lower is an Lower is a Lower if made from the correct materials and Mil Spec. The differences is in how they look. Like the addition of logos and such. The same goes for the Upper. So today I placed an order for the Alpha Shooting Sports Upper with Dust Cover and Forward Assist installed for $72.70 shipped. http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/pro...6&categoryId=2

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The Rainier Barrels are GTG. Get the best one you can afford. Wilson barrels start out shooting awesome. But after a few thousand rounds they down hill very fast. If you go White Oak, make sure to have them use a Krieger barrel. The Wilson barrels are too soft. That and they don't know how to keep a chamber centered in the bore. You don't chamber a barrel from the outside diameter of the barrel. Lothar-Walther also makes good barrels.

And go with a 1-8 twist to make sure you can run the 77 gr bullets. Some 1-9 will run them fine, other will not. Part of it has to do with how much gas is used to run the action. Also go a midlength gas. They are so much smoother than the carbine.
    So If you wished to have an accurate barrel in the $250.00 or so area which would be the best to look into ?

I was looking at the 1-8 and 1-7 twist?

At least I had that part right I pretty much had the Mid Length Gas System pretty much set in stone lol. Also the 16" Length unless I would greatly benefit from an 18" barrel?

Thank You.

PS.
    No this will Not be for cast. Sorry About That.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    out of your choices, i'd pick the white oak barrel.
    +1 John H does great work, is one heck of a shooter and all around great guy.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Banned

I would stay away from the 1-7 unless all you are going to shoot is the real heavies. Lothar-Walther or Rainer would be my pick. Each has different grades of barrels offered. If White Oak is the one that actually chambered the Wilson blank then That would be a very good one also. If Wilson chambered it, forget it. The Rainier barrel used to be a Black Hole Weaponry barrel that is made to Rainier specs. Not sure if that is who still supplies them. Have not heard of a bad one.

I was looking at these two from Rainer The 16" https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=2892

And the Rainer 18" https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=3075

Both are 1-8 Twist,Mid Length Gas System. Any thoughts on these?

They also have a 5 R or to say Polygonal 5 Groove. They say it is better?

Again Thank You.

Boolit Master

I would stay away from the 1-7 unless all you are going to shoot is the real heavies.
    Not trying to argue or hijack the post but my PSA 1:7 shoots 50gr jwords just as well as heavy bullets. Maybe not the best for cast, though I haven't tried yet

White oak is great if you want stainless and a service rifle or varmint barrel(I have 2x 20" service rifle barrels). Rainier is pretty good. I have a 16" ultra match from them. But, the most accurate barrel to date I've owned has been from ARP. 1/8" fluted recon profile with melonite treating. Here's a link below. The barrels come in batches so check often or call them. A buddy has two as do I for 3gun match rifles, but they will print 1/2moa groups with hand loaded hornady 75 grn HPBT match bullets. Standard federal m193 will do sub MOA. Do some google research, plenty of people in the "know" use the ARP barrels.

http://ar15performance.com/barrels

Banned

The 1-7 will spin apart some of the thinner varmint bullets. Maybe not right at first, but get a few thousand on the barrel and the throat starts to wear and get a little rough. Then it will start tearing apart a lot of different types of bullets apart. The 1-9 will work if you go to a rifle length barrel. Otherwise I would go with a 1-8 in the carbine length.

The 5R is different than a polygonal rifling style. The 5R is a canted land and the polygonal is a round land. I just noticed that the polygonal is a 5 land. Not sure who is doing the blanks for that one anymore. The old ones were 3 land versions.

Just do a little more research. Go over to AR15.com and research there. It is kind of clicky but you will be able to feel what you need once past the BS.

My most accurate barrel I ever had was a Sabre Defense 16" SS fluted in a med contour. I could rely on it to shoot in the 0.2's every time I took it out. If I was having a very good day and I was holding my tongue just right, I could do a group in the 0.1's.

JesterGrin1,
    try this company
    http://ak47ar15barrels.com/ i purchased a colt over run in the white with a 1/8 twist and it is a very accurate barrel. also customer service is top notch.
    Rick

The 1-7 will spin apart some of the thinner varmint bullets. Maybe not right at first, but get a few thousand on the barrel and the throat starts to wear and get a little rough. Then it will start tearing apart a lot of different types of bullets apart. The 1-9 will work if you go to a rifle length barrel. Otherwise I would go with a 1-8 in the carbine length.

The 5R is different than a polygonal rifling style. The 5R is a canted land and the polygonal is a round land. I just noticed that the polygonal is a 5 land. Not sure who is doing the blanks for that one anymore. The old ones were 3 land versions.

Just do a little more research. Go over to AR15.com and research there. It is kind of clicky but you will be able to feel what you need once past the BS.

My most accurate barrel I ever had was a Sabre Defense 16" SS fluted in a med contour. I could rely on it to shoot in the 0.2's every time I took it out. If I was having a very good day and I was holding my tongue just right, I could do a group in the 0.1's.
    The best I can find is that Saber Defense was Liquidated back in February 14, 2011. Except Brownell's does have some of there bare barrels. As in no holes drilled and sorry for lack of vocabulary but no chamber added. Pretty much just a shaped tube lol.

Banned

I would not be afraid of any of the barrels you have shown. Make sure to get a good trigger as well. On an AR it is barrel, trigger, optics when it comes to accuracy.