RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good friend is really sick

Boolit Grand Master

Good friend is really sick

My good friend is in intensive care at Tripler Hospital.
    He just came out of intensive care at another hospital three weeks ago.
    The first time, he passed out and the ambulance had to be called.
    Doctors said another day, and he would have been gone.
    This time wife told him either she take him "NOW", or she was going to call the ambulance. He went.
    As soon as the doctor started checking him, he went straight to the IC.
    Been there five days now.

After he got out the first time, he called to talk.
    I asked him if the doctors found out what was wrong.
    He said high sugar, salt, high blood pressure and other stuff.
    I asked if it was diabetes. He said no, not that.
    When I talked to his wife this second time, she said he is diabetic.
    He has about nine pills he is suppose to take, and things he wasn't suppose to eat.
    She said he wasn't taking the pills, and she caught him drinking lots of soda and eating pops.
    She also said he was becoming forgetful, delusional, grumpy, and very tired/weak.

Could he be in denial?????
    He was always pretty sharp. Reasonably good energy. Way over weight, but seemed ok.
    It just seemed that, all of a sudden he's just falling apart.
    I've heard of people who get really sick, either fight it, or just give up.
    Has me worried all the time.

Get over and talk real hard to him; threaten him with what works. Good luck.....
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Sorry to hear about his trouble. I've always been grumpy. Have for the last few years had memory issues. Just lately become delusional. Not to worry, but no soda pop, donuts, ice cream, or even gobbling up large helpings of bread and starches is reality. That may be a problem - it does get old. Sounds like he may have binged before those episodes. I'm hoping for the best for him, and you. God bless.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, he is in denial and is killing himself. The next thing to go are the kidneys. Refusal to cooperate with treatment of diabetes is a death sentence, just slow and painful in coming. Knew a guy, thin but diabetic and kidney disease. Ate what he wanted refused dialysis, and still lived for two + years in a VA hospital.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

How old is he? Sometimes a man just decides he's lived his life and is going to do what he wants and when time comes it comes....
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

They're few and far between fortunately, but every once in a while someone you know will make a conscious decision that they would rather be dead than give up_______cigarettes, milk shakes, sex.......fill in the blank. Even when it takes a number of years for events to take their course, the afflicted never waver in their decision to keep on doing whatever it is that's killing them.
    It would be easy to say how selfish and self centered these people are, but I've not been down that road personally, so will keep my opinions to myself.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy

Before my buddy found he was diabetic he acted like your friend. Suger swings can make him down right dopey, somtimes even slurred speach. Talk to him and see whats really going on, tell him you want him around a while so try the meds.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and have changed my ways after my last visit. I thought the magic pills would save me. Well guess what I change my eating habits and everything I use to do. Well have a friend who just lost all her toes on one foot plus three more inches of same foot. Doesn't look like fun to me TALK HARD and tell him losing body parts one piece at a time is pain full. Good luck with your friend he can win he needs a push.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

My best friend did the same thing. Couldn't convince him what he was doing, he too quit taking his meds.

End result, I sat by his bedside for his last week, then a week later scattered his ashes.

He was only 70, I think he was just done with this world.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

Chronic disease/pain gets to you after awhile. I have had my down days after 8 years of constant back pain and nerve pain/tingling/numbness in both feet/legs. Problem with me is I am to stubborn to give in. I keep on going and still do things the doc doesn't think are possible for me anymore like today I started construction on an end wall for the garage. Need more materials but got a good head start and a plan formed now. Now it is up to cash flow and hope I beat winter.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear this, Do the best you can with the situation.
    I know it's not easy, A prayer for him---and for you.

Sam & Julie
    Wife to Gray Wolf. It was time to get my own handle I guess cause

Boolit Buddy

"She also said he was becoming forgetful, delusional, grumpy, and very tired/weak."

Quite possibly the result of taking 9 medications. Perhaps he doesn't like what the meds do to him, and doesn't want to live that way, and has chosen to put his life in God's hands. I can't fault him for that, but I would try to make sure he knows what he's doing, given the "delusional" remark.

Boolit Master
    all of the above is pretty much well correct. I am hearing more and more of this all the time especially from our older veterans. there are herbs he can take which will help and hopefully maybe get off some of the meds. if you're interested I can give you a list when I get back to town next week good luck, prayers for you and him.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master
    Good News....
    He called today. Still in the hospital.
    Sounded great. Back to normal.
    Mind was sharp. Laughed a bit.
    Their going to keep him another two days, then kick him out.
    He wants to get out badly.
    Said food is terrible.
    I told him to get used to it. Can't eat what or like he used to.
    Told him when he get out, he's going to need to take his pills if he wants to stay out.
    Now if he'll just listen.

Boolit Grand Master
    He's still in the hospital. Still in the ICU.
    Seems to have some infection in some of the wounds.
    Not sure where he got the wounds from.
    Doctors don't want to let him go yet.
    Must be bad.

Moderator Emeritus

If he is diabetic foot sores are common.

Boolit Grand Master
    He still will not admit he's diabetic.
    Is this common????

Boolit Master
    I am in my hospital room right now. I ignored my diabetsis....I LOST WEIGHT AND EXERCISED. nOT ENGOUGH. wOUND vac on right foot......Foot would make a maggot vomid. Don't be a fool like me,, Rick

Boolit Grand Master

My mom lived as a type one, with MS to boot, for well over 40 years. We could have much worse diseases to deal with. At least with diabetes you are in charge. If ya loose weight, faithfully take the meds, and very carefully watch your diet, you can live an almost normal life.
    BTW It took the second cancer, to do Mom in, at 93, she was still dealing with the diabetes and MS.

Boolit Master
    My high blood pressure kept me on the side of contrary. Getting it under control takes some time on the right meds. Exercise and diet had no effect on me but may work for him. My doctor's description of rehab to overcome my future stroke convinced me to get it under control. Dragging my foot along didn't sound like independent living.