Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what would you pay for wheel weights ?

Boolit Buddy
    .25-.50 / lb. if you need them... Get them while you can.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    $0, I still get them for free. Once that stops I'm done w/ wheel weights. If I'm going to pay it will be for a known clean alloy. Wheel weights are not worth the time, effort and gas to clean them up if I have to pay for them.
    totally agree. After getting all I wanted for free from the '80's through the mid 2000's there is no way I'd pay for a current bucket composed of half steel, zinc, valve stems, & cigarette butts. Thankfully I was in on the "good ole days" of free and have a lifetime supply.

Boolit Master

I haven't even looked for wheel weights for quite a while. The last time I did several years ago it seemed everyone thinks they have gold, not lead. One tire shop told me with a straight face that they get $1/lb for used weights, and asked how many buckets I wanted! I laughed and said no thanks, good luck!

Seems to be regional anyhow. Around here lead wheel weights are scarce.

Boolit Buddy
    Once in awhile I get lucky and get a bucket that's 95% lead, a mix of WW and stick-on probably 90/10. The scrapyard in my area sells for $0.50/lb but luckily they only pay $0.13/lb so I can visit tire shops and offer a more competitive deal. I can visit my dentist and he gives me all their lead foil, since their recycler offers them nothing but picks it up for free when they come for other stuff they actually pay for. I had one bucket that was barely 60% lead. Good source for zinc that one, if I could only make an alloy that can compete with lead.

Of course, now that I have a decent supply of ingots I'm not interested in paying $0.50/lb anymore. The scrapyard is a good way to get 3 or 4 buckets in one easy trip, but I'll rather drive to a few shops until I get a good haul.

I would pay what it was worth to me to have that bucket. Pretty simple really, like the man said $1 a lb. and he passes. Right now about 30 cents a lb. from tire stores or 70 cents from scrap yard if they went up by a nickel I might buy less, if it was 55 cents from tire store I would probably pass and work on smelting what I have

You can buy good, smelted ingots of range lead for just over a dollar a pound shipped. My last purchase was 70$ shipped for 65lbs.

If I had to sort, smelt, ingot the wheel weights I dont' see myself paying more than 25-30 cents a pound and it better not be full of garbage.

Easier to buy range lead and some solder for the tin, less mess, less work, no garbage, no smoke in the house, no problems.

I'm tight when it comes to money, but lead is not expensive.

Boolit Master
    $10/bucket - that's what I pay at the local shop where I can still get them. It will come to an end soon here in MN - I'm stockpiling all that I can!
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Wheel weights aren't worth the time trying to find. I've been able to get four free sail boats this last year. Over 6,000# of clean free keel lead is hard to pass up. Parted out the wood, brass and electrical item's, paid for the disposal fees and put cash in my pockets.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Moderator Emeritus

Just sorted a sample bucket form a new source, 25% trash and iron/zinc so thinking 30 cents a pound max

With my back, there's no way I could lift a 5 gal. bucket of WW's! In the future, I'll probably just buy from Roto-Metals.

Boolit Master

I pay around $25 a bucket. I was paying up to $50 a bucket back when they yielded 90% lead. Last purchase, year ago, was about 40% lead.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Mold
    I wounder if I got ripped payed $.70lb The shop shorted it all from what I can see, going through about 40lb I found just 2 steel weights. But I haven't gone through the hole bucket.
    I know it seems high but I`m from CA I bought the weight when I was in Oregon. Otherwise my local scrapper wants between $.80 to $1lb

Boolit Bub
    my local shop calls me when they have a couple buckets nearly full

Cost = 1 dozen doughnuts

An 18 pk of Michelob Ultra!
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Grand Master

Easy enough for a fellow with tons already in hand, to refuse to pay higher prices. If your just starting out, and with shallow pockets, Ya have to pay the asking price, or shoot lots less.
    It's not just WWs that are getting scarce and expensive.

I bought 10lbs at a scrap yard for .60/lb, 30% of it was Fe and Zn.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    ..... One tire shop told me with a straight face that they get $1/lb for used weights, and asked how many buckets I wanted! I laughed and said no thanks, good luck!

Seems to be regional anyhow. Around here lead wheel weights are scarce.
    I would ask the guy how many of MY buckets did he want at 85 cents a lb. after all he can sell them for $1 a lb. should be a quick profit in it for him....

Boolit Master
    my dad scored a 5bgal bucket of about 100-120lbs for free from an old racing buddy all old ones, nothing added in last 15 years or so

Boolit Bub
    $20 or a few pizzas

Quote Originally Posted by Sghinds View Post
    I was also curious about this. I am starting late in the game, and will probably start looking around my area for a supply while I can find them.
    Lead ww prices, very area specific. In Kalif, good luck even finding them. So I would pay $1/# for good all lead alloy ww. Beyond that, I would just buy from a known vendor selling them shipped to me for a bit higher price, already smelted.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol