Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: New conversion question - marlin 45lc to 454 casull

Banned

New conversion question - marlin 45lc to 454 casull

OK, anyone done it? Is it safe in the Marlin? Have the Taurus 92 in 454 & it handles hot stuff fine & the Marlin is bigger.

If that is an OK thing, the next question is will it chamber them without major mods?

Thanks
    Tom

Don't do it. Pull the forend and magazine tube and see how thin the barrel of your Marlin is right under the chamber. Think about what would happen to your hand if you're holding the forend when it lets go. The '92 is a FAR stronger rifle than a 1894 Marlin. I don't even feel all that comfortable firing heavy 45 Colt loads through mine. I have with no ill effects, but don't see any need to continue the practice.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    From what I have read, the Marlin 1894 and 336, along with the Winchester 1894, are all designed for up to around 40-45K CUP pressure ranges, while the Winchester 1892 is capable of getting up into the 60K range safely. The 454 Casull gets up into the 65K range, and I have read of some loads exceeding that, so I would think you would quickly wear out your Marlin if you do this, and that is assuming you don't turn it into a grenade first. May I ask what goal you're trying to accomplish with this, since most of us gun nuts here usually have an objective other than just firing something with a certain headstamp on the case? The reason I ask is that you can expect 300-500 fps extra out of your rifle than what you would get out of a handgun with the same ammo, so you could in theory (and I have) get to over 2K fps out of your rifle without even loading your rifle real hot. I had a 255gr cast bullet going 2100 fps out of my Rossi 92 without pressure signs and using published loads, but have since slowed it down to 1675 fps because the slower loads do everything I need anyway and are cheaper on powder.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Banned
    Thanks for the info. I'm always making new guns. I just get a wild hair to do something.

Got the Taurus & it doesn't feed right & it's been at gunsmith forever trying to get it to feed so looking at alternatives.

Actually what I really want to make is a .460 S&W lever.

I've got a bunch of wildcats & made up guns just doing it for Sxxxx & grins.

Just got a 336 to make into a 375Win, have a 338-06 in the works & a new 31" 308 for long range cast will be ready next week..(fingers crossed)

Also looking for a Mod 71 or 86 action or cheap rifle to make a 450 Alaskan. As I said just messing around.
    thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .454 Rossi - I'd never want to rebore a .45 Colt to take that kind of pressure. The .454 Casull is a stout cartridge...you'd be better to buy one made for it. I doubt you'd find a gunsmith who'd it it for you.

M