RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The fallacy of blind brand loyalty

Boolit Buddy
    There is something about the sound of a Harley that just stirs my soul. That being said. The power, or lack of, they get out of 96CI's is pitiful, this coming for the proud owner of a 2010 Ultra Classic.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Anyone have a Victory or one of the new Indians?
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

What I USED to love about the older Harleys was parts interchange between many year models. Actually, many changes have been made to the line, still V-twins, but I'll keep my 1972 - and wish I still had the 1966 !

Riding on 2 wheels is a lot more dangerous than it useta be but it's still a great way to tour, no matter what brand you're rolling on.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've owned a half dozen different brands over the years. Norton Villiers Commando was the real animal of the bunch. Harleys were the classy bikes.
    On the roads here, you see more Harley and Gold Wings than any other road bike. If I were going to get back into it, it would be a BMW, or a Gold wing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    My brother was a Honda motorcycle dealer here in southern California for 28 years. At one time Honda was on the verge of putting HD out of business which was the last thing they wanted to do. Honda sent some of there top engineers to the HD plant to help improve design and mfg techniques. At that time a Honda 450 could drive rings around Harley's biggest bike. I used to ride dirt bikes in the desert but I tried one little ride across town to visit a friend and it scared me so much I didn't want to ride my bike home. One older women saw me coming up the street, looked me in the eye and pulled out of the drive way and forced me into the other lane. Fortunately no one was coming so I didn't have a head on collision but I never rode on the street again. I salute you guys that do.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus

I've owned lot's of Bikes (street and dirt) over the years.
    mostly Hondas, but I had Suzukis, kawis, Yamahas and even a Guzzi.

But I'll never buy a bike with air cooled 2 cylinder engine, where one cylinder is behind the other and doesn't get proper air flow for cooling...IMHO, a very poor design.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    back when riding was for the most part illegal, I had a '49 Harley pan head. the engine spent more time on the kitchen table than in the frame.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

apply these quotes to the brand of your choice

"it's a jeep thing..."

" if i have to explain it you wouldnt understand..."

now for the meat of the matter ( or maybe what really matters lolz ) ask a bunch of women which they prefer to ride on the back of .....
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Perma Banned - A.K.A 36Power
    The ONLY truly cool, well engineered and built, unbelievably sexy... American bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victory-hammer-02.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	112958

...did I mention I just happen to own one?

Boolit Buddy
    It was not Honda putting Harley out of business it was AMF! And engineering help or not, it was Willie G. that saved it.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy

I guess what I don't understand is if you don't ride a Harley around here you get looked down on(I know this because a bunch of them are my friends). Like someone said earlier not everyone can afford 20 some grand and then half again more for chrome and accys. I'm always grateful just to have someone to ride with, who cares what they're riding.

I owned 3 Harleys in the past 20 years and just got back from Sturgis the other day and I agree 100 percent, I checked out the new Indians the other day at the rally and sat on them and can honestly say if I was going to buy a bike it would be an Indian, I am not really in the market for one right now which is good to give them a few years to get any bugs worked out they might have with a totally new bike but those new roadmasters are sweet, I think they are way ahead of Harley and around the same price and now that Polaris owns it I dont think there will be a problem with them going belly up like before, I am hoping there will be more aftermarket options for them by the time I am ready to purchase one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roadmaster-indian-red-ivory-cream.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	112962
    Last edited by duke76; 08-08-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Well, there's a butt for every seat. I like Harleys. I have an 08 Roadglide now that has served me well. Rode it to Alaska and back in 2010 (11,860 miles in 3 weeks) with zero problems. Top of the world highway in to Chicken, Alaska highway and going to the sun highway. Did an oil change in Fairbanks the put tires on it when I got home. Still ride it every day. I don't ride a jap bike but I don't bash them. I don't like Glocks but I don't bash them either, so I guess I don't see the point of this thread. Just my thoughts as a "conformist".

Boolit Master
    I ride 50 miles a day to work and back when in town and it isn't raining. Rode plenty of other bikes when I was a kid but always wanted a Harley. I ride a Harley my Harley. If I need to explain you don't undestand.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Why would HD mess w/ a proven track record of sales? If they change it up they won't sell as well. Constant change for the sake of advancement isn't all it's cracked up to be. I bought a HD XL1200V last year. It's a 1200 Sportster that is tricked out like a chopper. It's called a 72. I bought it for the looks. It rides horribly and I'm upset I bought it. Well not really because I know it will hold it's value. Especially because it's a limited edition. They only made so many in green. If you want the pinnacle of engineering then buy another brand. If you want a bike that will hold its value better than most then buy a HD. They command the money they do because that's what people want and they are willing to pay for them.

I have less than 400 miles on this because I don't have the time to ride and it rides horribly.
    Dragon, that is a butt ugly bike....I haven't seen one before. It looks like it would ride poorly. Not a hd hater, but I would never spend my money on one.

Boolit Buddy
    You ride a motorcycle, you don't drive one.

Banned

As I said earlier, not a V Twin cruiser fan, but I really do like the styling and looks of the Victory bikes and have heard a lot of good things about them. If I ever get to where I need a flashy bike, I'd go with a Victory over a Harley.

Boolit Master
    Like guns, everyone has their favorite motorcycles. I've had a motorcycle of some form since I was 11 years old, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Harley, BSA, Kawasaki, and now have an old bmw. I really liked the Harley and will get another some day. True, they aren't the fastest or best handling but there is something special about them. I think that all motorcycles are special in their own way, never rode one that didn't put a smile on my face.

The thing I really didn't like about the Harley were the other Harley riders. Too many posers that weren't real motorcycle aficionados, they just liked to wear their biker costume on the weekends.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Dragon, that is a butt ugly bike....I haven't seen one before. It looks like it would ride poorly. Not a hd hater, but I would never spend my money on one.
    Gee thanks. I like the way it looks which is why I bought it. I like choppers and this is a factory mini version. The main problem is the seat. It looks good but once you hit sixty the only thing keeping you on it is your arms. It's also a Sportster so for long rides it just beats you up. It's also unbelievably top heavy which makes it a pain to wheel around the gas pumps because it just wants to fall over at slow speeds. But it gets looks everywhere I go. You don't see many green bikes let alone one w/ candy paint that has heavy flakes in it

Moderator Emeritus

Blind loyalty is a two way steet....the manufacturer has to hold up their end of the bargin as well.....I try to buy American, even if it is higher, if it is at least as good as the Chinese version.....I hate the #### that comes out of China....they hate us and they are trying to kill us with the poison food and lead based paint etc....and American businesses are exploiting us by bringing us cheap quality products from China.....I hope and pray that America wakes up before we no longer manufacture anything except illegal aliens in this country.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan