Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Working on a 1946 Schmidt Rubin K31 - come follow the blog

Working on a 1946 Schmidt Rubin K31 - come follow the blog

I recently picked up a Swiss K31 and am going to be working on it. I'll be chronicling the process on a little web Blog with photos and information about my progress. Other projects will follow, I've got an AK build to do that I want to document as well. But wanted to give you guys a heads-up in case you wanted to watch.

Link to the project blog

Thanks!

Thanks! I will watch your work on the K31 with great interest!

John

Hey Randy - Nice job on the blog. I have refinished 3 K31's and know it is a worthwhile project. I think the beech stocks are harder to do than the walnut. My last beech I left VERY "blond" and the color has really grown on me. The fact that is an excellent shooter helps !

My only question/comment so far is how you use the iron to steam dents. I have never used the iron directly on the wood - I always use a damp rag between wood and iron. I get excellent results that way. Have you tried the damp rag method?

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the damp rag or thick-type paper towel and the tip of the hot iron
    directly against the cloth, pressed tight against the dented area. Works very
    well and should even eliminate or nearly so the big dent shown by the mag
    well.

Looks good.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Thanks for the tips, gents. I knew I was missing something when I was doing the work. The steam itself raised smaller dents up quite a bit, but the larger ones remain. I will give that a shot!

I thought of one other thing regarding the stock. My last beech stocked K31 had the common "beaver chewed" area near the butt. Steaming would not help as the wood was simply missing.
    I noticed the wood near the buttplate was very generous - it over hung the buttplate on both sides. I was able to sand down the damaged area and still retain good fit with the buttplate. You may want to eyeball your stock and see if you can minimize damage this way also.

Neat blog!

If you want "red", use alcohol based dye for leather, color British Tan. Tandy Leather or a shoe repair shop is a place to find it.

Nels

Update -- rifle is finished. Didn't go quite the way I wanted on the color, but I'm going to go visit the Tandy store for next time. Thanks for the tips!

Next project is a sidearm -- I'll give you a hint -- it's another Swiss design.

Boolit Mold
    Nice work. I keep looking at a K31 at the store. Not sure I want to get into another chambering, but it would give some life to my unused 30-cal stuff. Haven't found any reasonable sources of brass have you?

Quote Originally Posted by youngun View Post
    Haven't found any reasonable sources of brass have you?
    Not yet. I've been watching for used GP11 brass, but none to be found (yet). I've hung out a bit at Ammobrasstrader.com looking, but those that I sent messages to have never responded.

I've been told that 284? Winchester will work fine, to make brass from. Just have to run it through the full-length 7.5x55 dies and it's ready.

This guy can help you: http://www.macsguns.com/Brass.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by handyrandyrc View Post
    I've been told that 284? Winchester will work fine, to make brass from. Just have to run it through the full-length 7.5x55 dies and it's ready.

The .284 brass works fine. That is what I use and have never had a problem.

http://www.grafs.com/product/171643

Boolit Master
    Graff ad sons have it most of the time, I also bought some Privi loaded ammo that someone had on sale a year or so back 100 rounds both good brass as they are the same. Then a friend gave me 100 new Norma brass great stuff. If you only load one rifle and neck size only brass will last a very long time anneal every forth time and last even longer.

Boolit Master

Graf's has it in stock now. Don't forget that shipping is included but there is a $4.50 handling charge.

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/775

Boolit Grand Master
    GP11 is berdan primed and I don't know where to get them anymore. Graf's has new brass and it's very good. I've used .284 Win alot and have never had any issues with it. Easy as pie to use.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Some guys report the 284 cases have a slightly smaller rim and sometimes cause problems. No trouble getting swiss brass and new ammo (Highland AX brand here, Privi Partisan there I believe) in Australia, but 284 brass???? Man, that might take a few phone calls.

I'll check out your blog. As far as Swiss rifles go, unless you are restoring one the only things wrong are the goofy looks and if one was sporterised, you'd have a lot of work cut out trying to make it easy on the eye. I always said that the Swiss must have a Frenchman on their design team.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Checked it out, looking good.

I like that SIG pistola. very nice. I've been thinking that I need a SIG in 357Sig as they are now acceptable for IPSC standard or whatever grade it is (our Govermint won't let us own 45s for combat target work . Personally, I love shooting my Colt 1911 38Stupor with power factor loads, gobbles them up without a glitch. maybe a new slide/barrel/mags for 357SIG. Probably buy a Glock 357SIG for the price of the slide
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

284 will work you just gotta push that shoulder back just right
    the rim is a bit smaller but off the bench or just plinking works just fine

runfiverun