Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: 200 gr boolits in a Marlin 30 30

200 gr boolits in a Marlin 30 30

I want to try to load 200 grain boolits in my Marlin 336 and my contender 30/30 AI.

Anyone ever try loading this heavy of a boolit?

I did some back of the napkin math and it looks like 22 grains of 3031 would be a safe starting load.

Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    I load a RCBS 180FN in Marlin 30-30. Dressed it weighs in at 195 gr. I use 2400.

I have used a 205 gr cast bullet in my .30-30 leverguns. 35/H414 produces 2100 fps in a 24" barrel with fine accuracy. Ballistics lab tested it for pressure and it is slightly under SAMMI MAP specs for the .30-30.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Grand Master
    Not trying to be argumentative - just curious and trying to learn. I have two .30/30's and I was going to purchase a 170 gr bullet mold to mimic the factory load.

What are the advantages of a heavier than "normal" bullet in the .30/30?

Thanks for any information.

Don Verna

Hi Don,

At 1800 fps cast bullets can be accurate with minimal to no leading. By using the heaviest possible cast bullet you can maximize effectiveness on game without having to go faster. I like to shoot the heaviest bullet that I can safely get to 1800 fps.

Take care, Tom

Now we're talking! Another good powder would be Alliant's Reloader 7. I have used it for working up cast loads in other stuff but not 30-30 yet. I want to go this same route after finishing up my testing of the Lee 155 2Rs in the 336.

Sitting right here beside me are two candidates--Lee # 90370 (single cavity 200 gr) and Lee # 90369 (double cavity 180 gr). I have NOT cast any of these yet but will try them. Both of these are too nose pointed for multiple loading in the tubular mag but I'm not going to let that stop me. The main concern is getting these as big over .309 as possible for my Marlin's mg barrel. These are good looking in design for sectional density/ cleaner ballistic coefficient.

JX

Don - heavy weights help with brush & wind as well as terminal effect.

Attachment 108702
    chart for energy @ 100 for a BC 0.3 boolit vs. fps & grains.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Don,

At 1800 fps cast bullets can be accurate with minimal to no leading. By using the heaviest possible cast bullet you can maximize effectiveness on game without having to go faster. I like to shoot the heaviest bullet that I can safely get to 1800 fps.

Take care, Tom
    Ayup!

What he said.

I think I have a little 414 but was hoping to use 3031 as I have an abundance of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thank you gentlemen. It makes sense that it will be easier to get a cast bullet to shoot well at 1800 fps instead of 2100 fps - so the heavier bullet will take less load development and still hit with the same energy as a lighter but faster bullet. It also makes sense that a slower and heavier bullet will be less affected by brush.

I may still go with the 170 bullet mold as more data is available for it but if I were to hunt with the gun I see a 200 gr bullet has advantages - especially at shorter ranges where drop is less of an issue.

This has made me think that a .35/30 makes a lot of sense. I would be able to use my 158 gr .38 pistol bullets for plinking and use a 200-225 gr bullet for serious work.

Don Verna

Just starting to play with the lee 200 gr in my .303 savage , it is already shooting better than the hornady factory fodder I tried , looks promising

Junior has a good article on this on his web site Frugal Outdoors Man for a 195grain cast in the 30-30:
    http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/heart.htm
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Mold
    I have a marlin xlr in 30-30 and use 26 grains of ADI 2206H with accurate molds 31-190D, when lubed and gas checked is 200 grains, and is accurate and not hot in my rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use leverevolution in my Marlin XLR and a 200gr cast with excellent results

I used a 188 grain cast bullet out of a 30-30 on several deer and liked it. I could get 1900-2000 fps with Re-7. Some heavier bullts may not fit in the throat. Alloy and attention to the cast bullet is more vital than weight. I heat treated my bullets then annealed the nose by putting the bases in a pan of water. About 1/2 WW 1/2 lead with a little tin. They worked about like a Nosler jacketed bullet is supposed to work. Cannot tell you how much they expanded as they shot through and I never recovered one, but they made a nice hole and were pretty accurate. Got one deer at 140 paces with one and it was a DRT.

DP

Boolit Master

FWIW you're prob'ly about right. In Lyman's 45th they loaded the 190 gr. bullet intended for the 303 Savage in the 30-30. The result was suggested starting load for 3031; 24 grains for 1731 fops and 28,200 c.u.p. Max load was; 27 gr. for 1978 and 39000 c.u.p. Data from a 26" bbl. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along