Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This ole boy is done pan lubing....

Boolit Master

This ole boy is done pan lubing....

Tired of it. Ain't doin' it no more.

Bought an RCBS from a fine gentleman here and am getting a Lyman 450 from another fine fellar here too so the RCBS will be dedicated to my .308 only and the Lyman will run all my pistol boolits.

Got a steal on this RCBS

Looks really good but needs an enema.
    Fire up the pot, break out the Dawn!!

Shew Lawd! Looks like an elephant took a poop off in there!

I ladled off a good bit of old lube.

Ooo! she gleaming now!

Reassembled with a new Oring and all moving parts [except the inside of the lube reservoir] got a coat of Bullplate....and ya'll thought it was just fer boolit molds.

Woot! Excited about the prospect of NOT working' my ars off to lube boolits! Thank you Castboolits. Wouldn't have thought to boil in water and Dawn had I not read it here.

Boolit Buddy

Now you just got to find a good deal on top punches and dies. Looks good, good luck.
    L.E.C.

Great find!

Boolit Grand Master

Pan lubing works well but sure is slow! You will really appreciate
    the new found convenience of the LAM II.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I keep a Lyman 45 (that I got here) set up for .358 bullets. My 4500 is used for everything else. That RCBS is nice looking and ready to go!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

The best money I ever spent was for a Lyman 450. I started out pan-lubing
    Being somewhat fumble-fingered....I would get melted lube all over the table, floor, on my pants, shirt, the dog, the cat... everywhere it could make a hard to clean up mess. The 450 was heaven...drop in a stick, pressure up, one stroke down, one stroke up and I had a perfectly sized, lubed and gas check seated boolit... quick , no mess, no fuss....I'll never go back.
    That's one tool you will really come to appreciate! Enjoy.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Ohhhhh myyyyy Looorrrd! This is sweet.

I got the RCBS set up and ran perfectly sized .311 boolits in mere minutes. Woulda taken a LOT longer the old way. I have a Lyman 45 rip roaring and ready to go too. Cant wait to get it set up for .452!

I definitely feel dumb for not doing this years ago!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes indeedy! I sure wish that somebody woulda told me when I started.... "Boy, you can melt lead in nearly anything, you can dip it out with anything, and you can use any mold out there..... but you save up and spend the money up front and get you some kinda lubesizer... any kind!!!!" and I woulda been waaaaay happier for years.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Been using my old Lyman 450 for a long time now. Congrats on your new equipment. Looks like you got a real nice lubrisizer there.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Grand Master

Lubrisizers are great. If you are lubing moderate numbers of boolits and
    especially if you are doing batches of different sizes and different grooves, the
    RCBS and Lyman are wonderful.

If you are going to do runs of a few thousand of the same design, especially if
    they have one lube groove, the Star is a the cat's meow. Unfortunately, Stars
    are dramatically more expensive, as are dies (unless gotten from Lathesmith or
    Buckshot here) and they are fussy to set up because the Star injects the lube
    when the boolit is stationary so you have to have a set of holes that line up
    exactly with each lube groove. Easy with one lube groove, but you still have
    to plug all the other holes with lead shot. Then going from one lube groove to
    a Loverin style will mean removing all the lead shot and fiddling with height
    adjustment to line up the boolit with the holes for all those grooves.

BUT once set up - the Star will fly! For high production, it's great, but I think
    too many times high volume castes recommend the Star to low volume casters
    and it isn't really the best fit. Since the RCBS/Lyman style has only one
    set of holes, and you move the lube grooves past that one set, setup is
    far, far quicker - great when you lube 50 of one kind and then 50 of another.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

It is hard to convince new casters to invest in a sizer plus dies for each caliber and a top punch for each mold, but once you find that path, there us no going back. I have three Lyman 450's and a RCBS and set each with a different caliber die and select a lube for that type of bullet. I seldom have to switch dies, and when I need to, I can select the type of lube I want without having to clean out the sizer.
    Chuck

I shore wish yall had not got this thread started......yall got me to thinking about needing to change my hard-headed way of doing things. Guess I'll have to start looking real hard for me another addition to my bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Lube/sizers are great, no if's , and's or but's about it. I rank them along with central heating and air conditioning and sliced bread. I guess I could live without sliced bread though.
    Gary

Well I got me a big Lyman kit,yesterday, after this, for when I get castin.

Next on Your list should be a heater to warm up your luber/sizer so You can use hard lube and not have to deal with sticky bullets.

Lindy

Boolit Master
    I have Bens Red in one sizer and LBT Blue Soft in another. No need for a heater and nothing is sticky.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    I have Bens Red in one sizer and LBT Blue Soft in another. No need for a heater and nothing is sticky.
    Store the bullets loosely in a container of your choice in an unconditioned area. Check back in a month. The bullets will be sticky To what extent depends on how hot the container got. Hard lubes are the only way to prevent this from happening.

Boolit Master
    I never store boolits loose like that. I save factory ammunition trays from the trash cans at the gun range. After size and lube, I store them in the styrofoam trays until use.

Banned
    When I decided to get into casting I didn't even consider pan lubing. It seemed far better to cast bullets slightly oversized and then swage them down to the exact diameter I wanted. Lubing in that process was just an added benefit.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    When I decided to get into casting I didn't even consider pan lubing. It seemed far better to cast bullets slightly oversized and then swage them down to the exact diameter I wanted. Lubing in that process was just an added benefit.
    Petrol - couldn't agree with you more! Have 2 Lyman's and only use one set up to crimp 22RF blackpowder reloads
    Regards
    John