Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Wildcat ideas...

Boolit Buddy

Wildcat ideas...

So, I ended up with a fair heap of 7mm Mag fired brass that no one seems to want to buy...anybody have a neat wildcat suggestion for this brass for my next project?

Quote Originally Posted by badge176 View Post
    So, I ended up with a fair heap of 7mm Mag fired brass that no one seems to want to buy...anybody have a neat wildcat suggestion for this brass for my next project?

270/338 Win Mag

http://www.ammo-one.com/wc270-338WinMag.html

Attachment 106974
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    .358 Norma Magnum, works great with cast.

Boolit Master

maybe a take on the 458 barnes is in order. something short, like a 45 colt kinda cartridge, but 458 cal and belted for bolt guns (or whatever your purpose, even revolvers). pick your desired bullet weight whether 300+ grian size to 500 grian size or less or more, just enough powder to get it cooking along at 1000 fps, and you have a lovely shooter.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    maybe a take on the 458 barnes is in order. something short, like a 45 colt kinda cartridge, but 458 cal and belted for bolt guns (or whatever your purpose, even revolvers). pick your desired bullet weight whether 300+ grian size to 500 grian size or less or more, just enough powder to get it cooking along at 1000 fps, and you have a lovely shooter.
    I like this idea! mikey

Boolit Master

I bet you can take 458 win mag dies off the shelf and cut the dies in half for reloading dies. I bet the chamber reamer can be run into a barrel part way to chamber the barrel, plus a small lathe cut relief cut for the belt. something like that.

Boolit Master
    375 winmag!

Boolit Buddy
    The obvious ones are the 30-338, and the 375-338. There are reamers available off the shelf as well as dies. These are both bigger bores. I have always thought that a 375-338 would be the greatest round for a cast bullet shooter. Just don't load it to it's velocity potential. Reamers can be rented, and dies are available from both Huntingtons and 4D. You would use the standard belted headspace gauges. Easy job for about any gunsmith. Many barrels available.

I think that the 375-338 has been replaced by the 375 Ruger for most people's use, but, we don't want or need the added case capacity. A fat, heavy bullet at 1800 ft per second is more than enough for all of us. With fancy bullets to it's highest pressures it has been used by many for big bears, etc. The 30-338 was a precursor to the 300 Win Mag, and what many thought Winchester would bring out. I suppose they thought some idiot would try and fire 7mm Rem Mags in it to rattle down the bore. Maybe they thought that some drunk would JAM a 338 Win Mag in it and blow themselves up?

I'd always thought a 375-338 would be very neat!

I like the .375-338 idea, the .50 Razorback or hush puppy( whichever one is the cut down Win Mag case) would be kind of neat too. Or something similar to the .45x2".

Wildcatting for adventures in cast shooting is my path to happiness.
    7Mag brass could be a great starting point. Once considered a long neck .350Rem before settling on a .375x45-70.
    Once had a 7-08 with extended case neck that was a great cast shooter with long boolits.
    Got the dies, brass, molds and jacketed for a .338Federal with extended neck but can't seem to find the time.