Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever action rifles in 357 mag or 30-30w

Boolit Buddy

Lever action rifles in 357 mag or 30-30w

Several persons from this forum pointed out that the 30-30w lever action or the 357 mag lever action (Marlin) was the gun to have for survival when and good for boolit loads.
    I decided to go and get one or both to my rifle wish list. My surprise is that those rifles have suddenly become a luxury and if you can find them, they are way overprized and the new ones are dealer "allocated" and it is hard to find them.

Does anyone here have any experience (good, bad or indifferent) with the Rossi's rifles? Even those are quite high in price but at least they are available. I know I prefer the Marlin lever gun as the options for sights is better, while the Rossi's may be limited. What about the Winchesters in 357 mag?

I will sit aside and hear your opinions. Thanks.
    Camba

Boolit Master
    Don't forget Mossberg lever 30/30's - model 464. There are both the wood stock versions as well as that strange (IMO) tactical version. I have had mine for several years now and am very happy with it.
    It feeds everything I have put through it and has been accurate with every load I have fed it from the 130 gr PB Lymans with Trail Boss at 1100 fps to 160 gr GC Lees with 5744 at 2100 fps. I got mine at a sale for a steal when they first came out but they are still quite reasonably priced. I bought it for a cheap truck rifle and got a lot more than I paid for. If they still made the stainless version I would now have two.

Boolit Buddy
    The Great State,El Paso Tx. in the winter months, Michigan in the Summer Fishing for Salmon .
    I've got a Rossi 357 mag. SS 16" The availability of off the shelf ammo (38/357) is quite common in times when needed. The Rossi functions fine, and can be transported in a backpack with very little trouble. I have a Davidsons Guarantee with it. I own Marlins and Winchesters also. The Rossi is a fantastic woods companion. Change out the crappy rear sight for something that works for you. I think you would be surprised with the Rossi, whether a 30/30 or 357 mag. YMMV..

Boolit Master

According to my LGS, .357 Marlins won't be available until the first part of next year. He just got in a pile of 45/70, 444, 30/30 and 44 Mags. Unfortunately to late for Ohio gun season.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

I have several Marlins and a Rossi .357. I much prefer the Marlin over the Rossi. The advantage of the Rossi is the rifled barrel. You can more easily fit a Boolit to the Rossi barrel than the micro groove of the marlin(assuming an older Marlin). The marlin to me is better quality and scope mounting is easy and nearly impossible on the Rossi. I would prefer the 30-30 over the .357 for hunting of larger animals.
    The Rossi I have has functioning problems.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE
    It feeds everything I have put through it and has been accurate with every load I have fed it from the 130 gr PB Lymans with Trail Boss at 1100 fps to 160 gr GC Lees with 5744 at 2100 fps.

Would that be the 311410 130 grain boolit? That is my standard plinker and it works in every 308 bore I have. Mine is big enough on the front end to have more bearing surface than some molds. I use a few grains of (any) fast powder. I load for muzzle velocity of under the speed of sound and leading is unheard of.

Dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    [QUOTE
    It feeds everything I have put through it and has been accurate with every load I have fed it from the 130 gr PB Lymans with Trail Boss at 1100 fps to 160 gr GC Lees with 5744 at 2100 fps.

Would that be the 311410 130 grain boolit? That is my standard plinker and it works in every 308 bore I have. Mine is big enough on the front end to have more bearing surface than some molds. I use a few grains of (any) fast powder. I load for muzzle velocity of under the speed of sound and leading is unheard of.

Dale
    That is it. It shoots better in my 30/30 than my 308 but even in the 308, accuracy is acceptable. Even thought the boolit is a bit pointed, my RCBS seating die puts an 1/8" flat spot on top making work well in the tube magazine of the Mossberg.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Win 94 and a Rossi 92 in 357 16". The 94 has a peep, the 92 a pistol scope which is two power and mounted in a few minutes. Both are great guns.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 06-08-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Buyer beware...I bought a Rossi 92, .45 Colt, 24" octagon barrel. The rifle couldn't put boolits anywhere near the bullseye even as close as 20 yards. With the front sight drifted as far to the right as I could drift it without it falling out/off the barrel, it put boolits roughly 3" right of the bull at 20 yards. I talked to Steve at stevesgunz and he wasn't encouraging re: Rossi (Braztech) warranty service. He's seen many Rossi's with bent barrels and now tries to straighten them. He doesn't send rifles back to Rossi any longer. I felt I had to give them the benefit of the doubt, so...I sent the rifle off to Braztech to get the barrel straightened or replaced. I just got it back. Same barrel, etc. The only change was they put a different front sight on it, drifted the front sight to the right and drifted the rear sight to the left. It now groups about 1" right at 25 yards. Big deal, huh? I'm going to try to find a barrel maker or knowledgable smith to straighten the barrel. If I could find a new barrel with a .451 groove diameter I'd just rebarrel it. Haven't had any luck finding a new barrel either. I'd sell it and look for a Win. 92 or Marlin 94 in .45 Colt if I was willing to sell a lemon to somebody else. My conscience just won't let me do it. Nuts.....Pilgrim

Boolit Buddy
    The only downfall to the Rossi .357magnum model 92 is a slow twist rate of 30-1 as opposed to 16-1 for the Marlins. As for quality, I lucked out when I bought my new Rossi 92 in 357 magnum. It shoots like a dream. It's just so much fun! Feeds semi wad cutters and rnfp just dandy! It's a little tough to load, but I'm hoping it will get easier as it breaks in. I also have pretty big hands so that makes it harder to poke the rims in to get the load gate to close. I have to use my pinky to get the last round fully loaded and it's kinda tough. It shoots boolits sized to .357 with no leading. Lee 358-158-RF over 16gr of Lilgun with any lube I've tried results in no leading and great accuracy. I've used 45-45-10 dipped, 50-50 through the RCBS LAM, and shake 'n baked powder coat with equally good results. I don't have a chronograph so I'm not sure of the velocity out of the 16" barrel but I'm sure it's getting up there. I Love my Rossi's, I have 5 of them. They all have better quality fit and finish than my Remlin 1895GBL, which isn't bad either for a Remlin.

Boolit Master
    Rossi are, at their best, a kit gun which you may be able to finish to a good standard. They have recently ceased all retail sales of parts, period. My two experiences of owning Rossi rifles, one a lever gun, were abysmal. There are very few examples of good customer service either.

Mossberg, Henry and Winchester (Miroku) are other options. Glenfield, JC Higgins and other store brands of Marlin are still available at reasonable prices.

My order of buying is this:

Pre 1963 Winchesters
    Marlins
    Henrys
    1964-1980 Winchesters

Id not shoot or own any others

As far as 30-30 over 357 mag. I would go with 357 mag for the main reason that you can use holy black or smokeless, cast works great.
    You will not have the range of the 30-30, but you will have knock down power.

Ive outfitted many couples with 357 handguns and levers, not found one yet that could not handle it.

FYI, its 30-30 Marlin or 30WCF (Winchester)
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Banned

you can use black powder in a 30-30 too.

Had two Rossi. Kept the 45colt and gave .357 to brother for Christmas. I much prefer straight wall pistol cartridge for ease of loading and lack of brass prep required. Both mine have been good guns, not target grade but definitely field worthy at 100yds.

I have a rossi 357 and the only problem I had was to move the rear sight because it was shooting to the right and after I move the rear sight some it is right on.I shoot the same ammo that I shoot in BH 357 that is also includen wadcutters also.feeds good.I also have a 30-30 marlin and that shoots good also and no problem.I got a 44mag from someone marlin and shoots the same ammo as my Redhawk.I check when that gun was made on marlin site and was made in 1981. I shoot cast in all of these guns.The only thing see in Marlin is that they have a tight chamber and had a feed problem with cast .I got a Lee factory crimp die and then no more problem.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    My Rossie Rio Grande was a friggin nightmare and total junk. I had a 45LC carbine that was great but fearing I would have to deal with Rossi/Taurus/Braztech again I sold it too.

I'm leaning toward Henry or Mossberg for a 30-30 now since the Marlins are in limbo.

Boolit Master
    The .357 makes a cute and functional levergun cartridge, but it's no .30-30. Think if one shops around they can find a used Marlin or Winchester without breaking the bank. Saw a slew of Model 94s at a recent gun show that were reasonably priced. Plain Jane post '64 and USRACs running $250-350. Pre '64s were in the $400-450 range in good shape.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

Picked up the Rossi 357 last year at a gun show. It's a pretty fun gun to shoot.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Shop used and add a stiff dose of patience to the search.
    Bargains are out there. The more rust you have to deal with the lower you'll pay.
    I gave away a couple of dad's "barn guns" as I just didn't want to deal with the rust.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you have a revolver in the same caliber, a .357 or .44 Mag. Lever is a good choice. But if you don't already ave a companion revolver, a .30-30 shoots flatter and is a better choice. An iron sighted .30-30 is good on mansized combat targets to 200 yards, the handgun calibers are harder to hit with pst about 150.