MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite lyman 4500 lube for 44 mag and 357 mag

Favorite lyman 4500 lube for 44 mag and 357 mag

So I am relatively new to casting. I have done some tumble lubing for my 357 mag with the Alex, Johnson's paste wax, and mineral spirits. I just purchased a lyman 4500 and wanted your opinions on what lube to make/buy for it. I am looking to push a 44 mag 250ish keith bullet, plain base to 1200-1300 fps. Also a 170 keith style plain base bullet in my 357 to 1100-1200 fps.

Should I just buy a certain commercial stick lube and slap it in there or make my own?

Thanks in advance!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Under 1600 fps, any reasonable lube will work if you have a boolit big enough to seal the throat. You can buy some sticks of any lube that you want to try, or you can experiment with making some of your own, if you like.
    You aren't pushing the limits.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Favorite lyman 4500 lube for 44 mag and 357 mag

Yeah, not doing anything crazy yet. Saw a lot of good things about ben's red. Anyone know if I can make this and then mold it into a stick for for the 4500?

Boolit Master

Yes, that's been done. If you search, you will find threads, or youtube videos about making your own sticks.

Of course, you could always just melt it, and pour in the sizer...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Anybody have a favorite stick recipe that they use? There are so many on here that I don't know where to start!

I also haven't used the 4500 yet, still in the mail. I see the sticks have to be hollow? So I can't just make a batch of lube and spoon it in there? I have to mold it into a hollow stick?

Boolit Master
    Just put the lube into a pot and use a hotplate to melt it down. Some have used a glass beaker and have melted lube in the microwave etc. In the AZ heat you may be looking for a lube that won't purge the barrel meaning one that runs and give you fliers. I don't know how Ben's Red is in the heat as I've never tried it. White Label Lube has some decent ones and for the price it's hard to beat if you don't want to make your own. Maybe the 2500 or Carnauba Red for the hot weather. There are also plenty of good homemade lubes for hot weather as well.

white label lube: http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Thanks, yeah I definitely need a formula that can hold up to 90 degrees for the summer

i melt my Felix lube with a candle wax melter. just refill it after every session. that way you won't scorch the lube.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_AZ View Post
    So I am relatively new to casting. I have done some tumble lubing for my 357 mag with the Alex, Johnson's paste wax, and mineral spirits. I just purchased a lyman 4500 and wanted your opinions on what lube to make/buy for it. I am looking to push a 44 mag 250ish keith bullet, plain base to 1200-1300 fps. Also a 170 keith style plain base bullet in my 357 to 1100-1200 fps.

Should I just buy a certain commercial stick lube and slap it in there or make my own?

Thanks in advance!!!
    I'd recommend that you go to the website for White's lube (lsstuff.com, I think), read the product descriptions and make a choice (I'd recommend BAC unless you have a heater -- if you do, I'd suggest C-red). At one time or another, I've used most commercially available lubes; in my experience (all handgun), I have found none better than those sold by White. And, at under $2 a stick, I don't see much point in making my own.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using NRA's 50/50 in one of my 4500's for now but will be changing over to BAC as soon as I run out. Lots of good info on the lsstuff site if you're not ready to dive into making your own lube.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll buy some carnuba red sticks and make some of my own ben's red and see how they work for me in the summer heat

Banned
    I'm going to toss in another shameless plug for White label: http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/
    The two bullets I cast/size/lube the most are for 38 specials & 44 Mag. I use a Lyman 4500 to size & lube those bullets. I played around with a few different lubes but I really think White label BAC will do the trick. I settled on that lube for everything and it made my logistics much simpler. White Label 50/50 would also work and I tried that but I feel the BAC is just a little easier to work with in warm temperatures. Before you start playing around with a lot of different combinations and formulas; you owe it to yourself to try BAC. I'm willing to bet you'll stop there.

it's not Arizona hot here in Virginia but it's hot enough. BAC worked for me .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I'm using NRA's 50/50 in one of my 4500's for now but will be changing over to BAC as soon as I run out.........
    I did the same thing and it's BAC from here on out.

Boolit Grand Master

Tom,
    If you have purchased a new 4500 it will come with a hollow stick of Lyman Super Moly Lube, drop it in and try it, it's perfect for your application. If not, just to get you started, buy a hollow stick made by any of the companies to get started. Any of the Lyman , Redding, Saeco lubes will do fine. Personally I prefer soft lubes that don't require a heater to get them to flow, which Lyman Super Moly and Saeco Traditional and Saeco Gold Cast Bullet Lubricants are. When buying be sure to get hollow sticks, solid sticks will not work in the Lyman.
    Once you get your feet wet you can do the make it myself thing. Just use the Ben's Red formula, use a slow-cooker to get it blended without scorching and save yourself a lot of work. Ben's Red formula is the best. Welcome to the club.
    Gary

The Lyman Super Moly is a good soft lube that flows well thru that sizer. RNFP bullets usually shoot better than SWC style bullets in my guns.

Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    The Lyman Super Moly is a good soft lube that flows well thru that sizer. RNFP bullets usually shoot better than SWC style bullets in my guns.
    Detox and gwpercle speak for me. Lyman Super Moly works great in my BP guns with smokeless powder (sic, 1100 to 1300 or so fps with 1:20). I really like it! I'm not using it in my .45ACP target loads at this time, straight COWW plus 2% tin, but will be when I run out of what i have sized and lubed. Not worth switching over anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_AZ View Post
    Thanks, yeah I definitely need a formula that can hold up to 90 degrees for the summer
    Are you *REALLY* in Arizona, or just above 7,000 feet above sea level there?

I'm sure you mean 90°F, which we LAUGH AT here in So Utah and below 5,000 feet ASL. 90°C just ain't survivable by any life form I know of.

I'm going into my second summer using RandyRat's Tac#1 lube and I see no need to even try anything else. It flows best through the Lyman if the system is at least 80°F, and stays in the boolit grooves, and gives me better than 3-inch groups at 50 yards in both .45 and .38s...and 2 inches at 25 yards with a few .357s I tested last year too.

Boolit Master
    I will throw in another vote for TAC 1 vote. It held up to a Texas summer last year, and winter this year. I use it in pretty much everything now including .357 Magnum at the speeds you stated. Flows well with no heat for me except when the garage was a bit chilly in the winter. Randyrat is a vendor sponsor here as well.