Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started friend reloading - Forster CO-AX or Dillon 550b?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Well..I owned a Co-Ax for over 20 yrs. (my first press) and if your friend has a RCBS single stage already, he's not going to reload any more better ammo with a Co-Ax! All presses "float" the case. Dies are really more important to accurate reloading than the press! Don't believe it? Go to a benchrest match and see what those guys put their money in!
    This sums it up well. If he has a single stage RCBS press the Co-Ax is adding nothing to his capabilities. The Co-Ax is a great press but it's still a single stage press. A Dillon 550 would be my choice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tummers View Post
    I vote for the single stage press regardless of the amounts of rounds he intends to load. Loading for other people? Tell him to think this over a couple of times and then again some more times before he starts doing this; He will be held responsible when something goes wrong and if not he will be morally responsible which can even be a lot more painful!
    Not only that, but he would get in trouble with the BATF, as they consider reloading for friends as being an ammo manufacturer and require licensing.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm the only one here that owns both plus three other single stage machines. The COAX is a very fine machine. Die swap changes are a breeze plus you can use Forster, Sinclair and Hornady lock rings although the factory wants you to use their aluminum rings. The latest version B3, the yoke is tall enough to clear tall micrometer adjusting dies. I'm using a 3rd party plate to change plates quickly without launching springs from the jaws and do have the shellholder adapter also. Inline fabrication makes several upgrades for the press and is working on a new handle for the B3 models. Forget about using a press mounted powder measure. I have the short handle and long handle and prefer the short handle. It is not a very ergonomic press but I still really like it. Access to cartridges is very good but not as good as the Ultramag and Summit which are two others I own.

The 550 is a fine machine. I have mine from the frame upgrade of the 80s. I have loaded into 100k with this machine. The only complaints I have is die spacing is very close and I can run two other lock rings of my choice and use Dillon 1" lock rings for the other two stations. I have four powder measures each with separate charge bars to cover a lot of pistol loading. I do run a JDS Quick Measure for rifle or bottleneck stuff.

Since your friend has a Rock Chucker, he can use the Hornady LNL press conversion bushing. I use this in my Ultramag and Summit. It allows for quick die changes too and can use anyone's lockrings. I've been doing some case forming with LNL bushings and so far ok.

The most ergonomic press I own is my cast steel, CH4D Champion press. Huge ram only super ceded by the Summit (according to RCBS literature, looks like a 2" post to me but I won't argue) and the front of the frame allows me to hang on while I do radical case forming. It is a joy to use but does not allow for the LNL conversion as this is a very old press with a different thread pitch for the bushing.

I've recently fell in love when I bought my Summit. I can use the LNL system or the arbor press conversion kit for my Wilson dies. I have an arbor press but I'm really liking this press. This press and the Coax are good for lefties too. Access to cartridges is wonderful and I have the short handle kit and can really feel bullet seating force.

The Ultramag is slightly Taller than the Champion and weighs just as much at 30 lbs. Access to case is wonderful and of course you can use LNL bushings in it. It works well.

Well that's it. I would say to your friend buy whatever or both. I'm very happy with all my presses. All except the Dillon are mounted on Rock Docks and two roller cabinets with two Rock Dock systems in place. I do use them in conjunction with my 550 for certain tasks.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    OP has said his friend already has a Rockchucker.
    Ah! I missed the OPs second post. Since that is the case, I'm with you on the 550 as a 2nd press upgrade.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    I would buy a 550 and a cheaper single stage...Lee will suffice.
    I have a Lee Classic Cast and a 550B with accessories. It's always best to have a single stage in addition to the progressive. If he can only afford one press, the single stage is the most versatile.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    He already has a RCBS single stage reloader that I gave to him, he's looking to upgrade to something nicer.
    Some have assumed he has a RockChucker. I don't see that you actually wrote that it was a RockChucker. Is that correct? If it's one of the smaller presses that doesn't have a removable bushing then a RockChucker would be a significant upgrade IMO for both utility and leverage. I've added the Hornady LnL bushing system to my RC and love it. I would even go for an older RC over a new one. My RCII is smooth and tight and it's not because it hasn't been used. My buddy's new RCIV is not nearly as smooth and tight as my old one.

If he has a RockChucker, then definitely go with the 550.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Frosted Boolits

post #6 states he already has an rcbs ss press, but not specifically a RC.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    It's not worth the risk and the costs. Two Federal licenses are required to do it legally. The BATFE license is $40 for 4 years IIRC. The State Department license is over $2200/year and liability for a newbie loader would be outrageous of anyone would even cover him. Doing it on the side for the wrong person could mean Federal prison and loss of the freedom to own firearms.

Once he becomes competent he can teach other people to load on his equipment and let them pull the handle without the complications and risks of doing it for others. Let them buy their own components and teach them for free.

David
    David and others: Thank you very much for this information that I had no idea about. I knew that to load ammunition for sale the licensing and storage requirements, but did not know that loading for a friend was along the same lines. Does this also include if my in laws were to shoot ammo I reloaded, or is it only when money exchanges hands? I would like to keep my freedom as well as my firearms. Thank you to all that explained to me the dangers of him reloading for others.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    When I was young and getting into pistol shooting. I decided to start reloading for my 44mag as a way to DOWN load the cartridge for more enjoyment and accuracy! At that time you could buy reloaded ammo from your LGS. I don't see that any more and don't really know why it changed, as I did not keep up with it as I have been loading my own for the past 30 years!

Just sayin, there are many advantages to reloading,but also some dangers and best to think about them. Squib loads happen now and then and if you are aware of the possibility, no problem. You know when you hear a "pop" instead of a "bang" NOT to shoot the next round! A beginner shooter, maybe not so much!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    THe Co-ax is the finest, so unless you are reloading for quantity, the Co-ax would be my pick......if speed/quantity is most important then the Dillon would be good. I usually reload for best accuracy and small batches.

Boolit Grand Master

All new reloaders need spend some time on a single stage press "learning the trade".
    After that period, the equipment choice is dictated by:

1: money budget
    2: time budget
    3: ammo quantity requirements

Secondary factors like mechanical aptitude come into play, too. Some folks are just
    flustered by a progressive and others just take to the myriad of tiny, interrelated,
    fine adjustments required like a duck to water.

There are very many ways to skin this cat.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    David and others: Thank you very much for this information that I had no idea about. I knew that to load ammunition for sale the licensing and storage requirements, but did not know that loading for a friend was along the same lines. Does this also include if my in laws were to shoot ammo I reloaded, or is it only when money exchanges hands? I would like to keep my freedom as well as my firearms. Thank you to all that explained to me the dangers of him reloading for others.
    If there is any "consideration" you would be loading commercially. Even your relatives could sue if something went wrong. Distributing ammunition among family would probably qualify as personal use but a written letter to the BATFE would be the best way to back yourself up as not distributing commercially. The amount of legalese is ridiculous but we are dealing with the most corrupt, gun hating government ever.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    Just to give everyone an update, I am in the process of purchasing a Dillon 550 for my friend until the end of the month. I've missed out on a couple of good deals lately, but a very generous member has helped me make a purchase for my friend. Long story short, he wouldn't be able to purchase it until the end of the month which we all know would be gone by then. The member is letting me purchase it with a few days to pay. I'll leave him nameless for now, but it's not to hard to figure out. A standup guy helping a Marine. Kudos to him, and all the Cast Boolits members that are like family.

Boolit Master

Congrats! You'll both be happy! My 550 is over 20 years old and runs like a Timex.

David

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    This is really comparing apples and oranges. I love my Co-Ax, but it is only used for precision rifle. My Rock Chucker does most of the heavy lifting and the progessives handle the volume.
    Great answer! Same for me. Co-Ax for Bolt guns, and Rock Chucker for other chores. All handgun ammo, and only handgun ammo on my 550B's.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!