Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 9 MM shot loads

Boolit Master

9 MM shot loads

A local gentleman asked me if I had ever loaded any 9 MM shot loads. It seems these are scarce due to the present problems with the ammo shortage.It kinda caught me flat footed as I had never loaded any auto pistol shot shells. Does anyone make a shot cup for the 9 MM? Can shot shells cycle an auto?
    He wanted them for snake loads to pick blackberries.

Boolit Man
    I believe you can use the same speer capsules designed for 38/357 in 9mm if you wish. However they would need to be single loaded. It is very doubtful they would feed. Honestly though, "snake shot" is more a gimmick than anything else IMHO. That is unless you live in an area with a ton of rocks where ricochets could be a problem or are shooting mice or pigeons inside a building. Snakes are much easier to kill with regular bullets most of the time. Unless he is dead set on "snake shot" I would try to direct him to using regular bullets on any snake that happens to need shooting.

Boolit Master
    If Remco is still in biz, they made prefilled shotcaps. The caps intended for autos had a truncated cone shape. Autoloader function's gonna depend on the recoil energy of the load. Advise him to either headshoot the snakes or get a revolver.

In Remembrance
    Your not going to find shot cups so your going to have to make your own. Here's a link to my thread on making 45acp shot loads from 308 blank cases...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hells-(My-Way)

I've made 9mm shot loads and no I haven't even tried them, those are made from 223 cases cut down, formed, and crimped with a special crimper. The only reason I haven't tried them is I don't own anything that uses something that small.

Something like this is not something that can be done on a progressive press, this is tedious hand work. Almost bordering in the custom load category....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Man
    As a additional thought, if for some reason ricochets are a potential concern and snake shot is being chosen over regular bullets for that reason wax bullets will kill snakes quite well at greater ranges than "snake shot" will and is quite safe from ricochets. Safer than snake shot in that regard.

I've wondered about making those too.

I had an idea that a guy could probably figure a way to use the brass from training rounds that shoot those little paint projectiles or rubber bullets. If I had a supply I would try it out, but I don't. I see threads every now and then where someone asks "what the heck is this piece of brass from?" Threads. I kept meaning to pm One of them to see if I could buy some for shipping cost, but forgot to get it done.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    As a additional thought, if for some reason ricochets are a potential concern and snake shot is being chosen over regular bullets for that reason wax bullets will kill snakes quite well at greater ranges than "snake shot" will and is quite safe from ricochets. Safer than snake shot in that regard.
    That sounds interesting. I'd like to try that.