Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started friend reloading - Forster CO-AX or Dillon 550b?

Boolit Bub

Started friend reloading - Forster CO-AX or Dillon 550b?

So I started my friend reloading, and he's been practicing with me for about 6 months now. I started him off with a basic single stage press with everything he needed to reload safely. For the first couple of months he would come over and watch me reload as i explained what I was doing. It progressed to him helping me out with various steps of the reloading process, and eventually to him reloading by himself with me supervising. He's at the point now where he is profient at reloading, and ready to make an investment into some gear.

The main question is the press, and a single stage vs progressive. I know a lot of people prefer the single stage, even when they are experts because of the time needed for each round. He's not going to be making thousands of rounds, but because his weapons are limited in calibers I almost want to have him lean to the Dillon 550b vs the CO-AX. Has anyone been in this situation recently, or give me some general pros and cons? He is in the Marine Corps, and he is a very studious learner and pays attention even when I explain the same thing for the 100th time. Thanks in advance for the help.

Frosted Boolits

How many rounds per month does he plan on loading? How much free time does he have? Is he looking for precision ammunition? My opinion is the following: Buy one of each and you are set. You can volume load for pistol or rifle plinking ammo on the 550 and you can also load precision rifle loads on the co-ax. I would buy a 550 and a cheaper single stage...Lee will suffice.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Only one? Co-Ax or any single stage press!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master

The single stage press is the way to go starting out, The coax is a great press but there are some things the top handle limits being able to do ( push thru sizers are one) . A rock chucker or even a lee press works great and will allow almost any tooling to be used. My coax has been rebuilt once and I am very happy with it there are just some drawbacks to it with certain tooling. A dillon 550 is a great machine and produces ammo faster but unless hes been using yours will be a new learning curve for him.

Boolit Buddy
    This is really comparing apples and oranges. I love my Co-Ax, but it is only used for precision rifle. My Rock Chucker does most of the heavy lifting and the progessives handle the volume.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Bub
    He has a few hours a day he can reload if he needs to plus the weekend. When he started out, he came over a few times a week to learn. In terms of how many rounds he'll be reloading a month, that I couldn't answer. My feeling is that he may start reloading for friends when he gets more experience.

He already has a RCBS single stage reloader that I gave to him, he's looking to upgrade to something nicer. He doesn't plan on doing any swagging, so I'm thinking that the Dillon 550b is the best choice given he already has the RCBS single stage? He just wants a nice reloader that he can use for hopefully as long as he reloads, I don't see him getting into the top of the line Dillon presses. Given that both hold their resale value well, I think I'll recommend he purchases the 550b since has a RCBS single sage that he can use for a while.

Boolit Master

It would be no contest for me and the choice would be Dillon. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker, reloader special with piggy back, a Dillon 650 and a 1050 on loan for 223. The 650 is hands down the most used machine. Dillion's warrany is top notch on everything except the 1050 and that is because the 1050 is considered a commercial loader that can be motor driven.

wcp

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well..I owned a Co-Ax for over 20 yrs. (my first press) and if your friend has a RCBS single stage already, he's not going to reload any more better ammo with a Co-Ax! All presses "float" the case. Dies are really more important to accurate reloading than the press! Don't believe it? Go to a benchrest match and see what those guys put their money in!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Each type press has it mission. I have 2 550s, 2 Co-Axs and a Redding T7 on the bench with an ancient Herter's "C" press inverted for push through sizing and a Rock Chucker stowed away in a cubby hole. The T7 is dedicated to BP .45-70 match ammo, the Co-Ax presses do small lot (fewer than 100) rifle rounds or experimental pistol loads, the Dillon's do the rest. You don't say what kind of shooting your friend does, or I missed it but I agree with some of the other folks here, get the Dillon ( recommend the 550) and a cheaper single stage press for small batches.

My first press is a Dillon RL 550B. Everything else is kind of sub par.

I started with my Dillon many years ago. My customer number is a shade over #1600. The press has been repaired many times at no charge with parts from Dillon. Their warranty is simply the best.
    I shoot machine guns so it is not unusual to load 5,000 at a whack. You can load quality if you take your time and quantity if you hustle.
    I'd go with the Dillon.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

If your friend needs quantities of ammo, the Dillon 550 would be an obvious choice over the Co-ax.

I have owned and used Dillon RL300s, RL450s, RL550s, XL650s, Square Deals, and a Super 1050. I still have two RL550s on my reloading bench. In my opinion, the RL550 is the best all around press value Dillon makes. You, or your friend, can't go wrong with the RL550.

Wish you and your friend good luck.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I started with a single stage, upgraded to a Lyman Tmag turret and finally a Hornady LNL progressive. Wish I would have went straight for the progressive; it can load one bullet a time just like a single stage or 5 bullets at a time like a progressive. I load .223, .44mag & .500mag one bullet at a time and everything else 5 at a time
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    He has a few hours a day he can reload if he needs to plus the weekend. When he started out, he came over a few times a week to learn. In terms of how many rounds he'll be reloading a month, that I couldn't answer. My feeling is that he may start reloading for friends when he gets more experience.

He already has a RCBS single stage reloader that I gave to him, he's looking to upgrade to something nicer. He doesn't plan on doing any swagging, so I'm thinking that the Dillon 550b is the best choice given he already has the RCBS single stage? He just wants a nice reloader that he can use for hopefully as long as he reloads, I don't see him getting into the top of the line Dillon presses. Given that both hold their resale value well, I think I'll recommend he purchases the 550b since has a RCBS single sage that he can use for a while.
    I vote for the single stage press regardless of the amounts of rounds he intends to load. Loading for other people? Tell him to think this over a couple of times and then again some more times before he starts doing this; He will be held responsible when something goes wrong and if not he will be morally responsible which can even be a lot more painful!
    Simplifying is mostly the best way of improving

Boolit Grand Master

I love my 550 and SDB, but I would never have a progressive as my only press. I'd start him with a Rockchucker.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I love my 550 and SDB, but I would never have a progressive as my only press. I'd start him with a Rockchucker.
    OP has said his friend already has a Rockchucker.

Boolit Buddy

My feeling is that he may start reloading for friends when he gets more experience.
    If this is the case, he needs to get a good lawyer first! Even if the FFL isn't required, still not a good idea plus the muzzle with mud, you still know who will be blamed.

Teach his friends, great. He has the RCBS, he is set there. Let his friends borrow it to make their own, the RCBS works again.

For personal volume use, Dillon or some like the Hornady. Will he be buying it himself? What would HE like in a press, etc?
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Bub
    Wow, thanks for all the input and reasoning for each type of press. Since his ammo is mostly for plinking, I really do think the Dillon is the right choice. When I mean he will load for friends, it's similar to what I've done for people in the past I go shooting with. With the prices skyrocketing for basic ammo at even places like Walmart, he would probably just load 1k rounds of whatever they are going to shoot and have them pay for the components and he would shoot from that batch for free.

The only type of competition shooting I could see him doing is some of the military contests with the M1A and similar rifles which he can do with the RCBS I have him. With all of this great information, I think I'll have to save some money and buy a CO-AX now.

I'm surprised no one has suggested the good ole Lee Classic turret press. I still use mine...A LOT, for both pistol and rifle plinking, and can simply remove the advance to use it as a single-stage. Hence, I also sometimes use the same press for my more precise hunting loads. It won't compare to the Dillon, obviously, but if he's on a budget like mine...it's a good compromise. If I'm really dialed in, throwing a good-metering ball powder, and on a mission....I can crank several hundred an hour in pistol, and probably a couple hundred an hour for .223 blasting stuff. Not bad for $100 or so investment....IMO.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

. . . he would probably just load 1k rounds of whatever they are going to shoot and have them pay for the components and he would shoot from that batch for free.
    It's not worth the risk and the costs. Two Federal licenses are required to do it legally. The BATFE license is $40 for 4 years IIRC. The State Department license is over $2200/year and liability for a newbie loader would be outrageous of anyone would even cover him. Doing it on the side for the wrong person could mean Federal prison and loss of the freedom to own firearms.

Once he becomes competent he can teach other people to load on his equipment and let them pull the handle without the complications and risks of doing it for others. Let them buy their own components and teach them for free.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris