Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Colt .38 Officers Special Target

Boolit Master

Colt .38 Officers Special Target

Greetings, I have always wanted a 38 Special target revolver. While lamenting this fact a friend informed me he has a Colt 38 Officers Special Target (hope I've got that right) and that he would sell it to me for $800. Knowing my friend the pistol is in very nice condition. Is this price OK? Thanks!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I possess and shoot one of each of the variations listed above; 1941, 1951, 1961. They are all fine guns. Condition is everything when it comes to pricing. I've had mine for some years and find that they are fine shooters. My 1951 is the OM Special. The sight configuration is the easiest way to determine variation. Original finish also was slightly different over the years. They really like HBWC at target velocities and serve very well with 158 gr. lead bullets as well. Not so good with light bullets; I have never fired a jacketed or plated bullet in any of mine. Enjoy!!!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the advice folks! Looks like I should be getting it this weekend, found an FFL in the area we will be in. I'll get some pictures up when I get her home.

I have owned all three iteration of the Colt 38 Special match revolver (Officers Model, Officers Model Special and Officers Model Match. For various reason, I think the Officer's Model Match (last) to be the best. But whatever vintage, they are all fine sixguns.

I have not bought one in about 20 years, and find the $800.00 price tag jaw dropping. It that is current pricing, I should probably let go of one of mine.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    FWIW I paid $800 for my ca. 1959 Officer's Model Match ten years ago

Boolit Master
    I have four, all prewar versions in 6" or 7.5" which I've purchased within the last year. I bought one and really liked it so when I got a little bonus at work I chased down a couple of more. The most expensive one I bought was a really minty 7.5" from 1926 for $790 plus shipping. The most reasonable was $317 plus shipping for a 1937 heavy barrel which has seen some abuse - a previous owner scratched his name into the side and trashed the grips. But this gun has perfect internals and functions perfectly and shoots great so I don't care about a little worn finish. I intend to make this cheap one my regular shooter - right now it has pachmyer grips installed.

One is from 1911 and shows some blue wear but is mechanically great and shoots perfectly - it was $465. (I watched a really nice 1910 version sell for $2,500 which surprised me.) My fourth was also from 1937, a heavy barrel 6" in 95% condition and was $650. All of these have perfect shiny bores and cylinders and shoot very well. Their prewar actions are something else when it comes to smooth!

Boxed guns seem to be higher by 200-300 or so.

From what I have been seeing, for $800 it had better be in pretty darn nice shape.

On the prewar versions, the rear sight has a screw adjustment for windage with a lock screw to keep it in place. The front sight has an elevation adjustment screw with a lock screw to keep it in place. There are no "clicks" like the S&W but you can get the job done just fine.

I would tend to agree with Outpost 75 that a few years back these Colts were at a higher price level but lately they have been under appreciated. That plus the fact that I like shooting the 38 special prompted me to make these purchases.

Work something out - I am sure you will enjoy the Colt - who knows, it might even lead to another some day...

ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Here is my 1933 Officers Model. I purchased it in a pawn shop in Harlingen, Texas in 1999 for $300.00 out the door. It has a bead front sight and a U notch rear. It game with the original grips, but I have these reshaped Herretts on it. I am feeling better by the hour about the price I paid for it. I also have a 1955 Officers Model Match, but I have had it so long I could only guess about the price, but I would be less than $200.00, probably much less. I lost a primo Officers Model Special in the Great D-Vorce of '94 along with three dozen other pistols. But I told her to "keep the cheese, just let me out of the trap!".
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys! I have bought other firearms from this friend of mine and the deal was always good to go. This is the first pistol and not being much of a pistol guy (yet, I just moved to the United States from NJ and no longer have to say Mother May I to buy a handgun) I wanted advice and I know the CB members to be wonderful sources of knowledge.

I have a feeling this will not be the last handgun I will buy either.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Char-gars vignette on
    the great D-vorce Made me smile because I got mine done B4 there were many primo firearms to argue about (1966) I even got to keep the Colt Woodsman she had given me X-mas of '64..( remember those days,she bought it for $65..) I can't remember her name,though.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an OM Target 6" from c. 1949,and it is a gem. I baby the daylights out of it--no double-action firing, all wadcutter-pressure loads (Lyman #358429 at 750 FPS), and it shoots almost to the level of my most accurate revolver--the S&W 16-4 x 6". I will follow this same regimen with the little Pocket Positive x 6" in 32 New Police I just retrieved from the gunsmith.......light loads, thumb-cocking that hammer.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Transfer was done Friday and I got to shoot her a little on Saturday. Revolver is in very nice condition, seems to have been shot little and only a small amount of bluing wear near the muzzle. What a nice revolver!! Easy to shoot and accurate. I'll have to find my real camera for this one, the phone just won't cut it. Pictures later this week. Thanks for the advice!!