Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad day yesterday

My LEE hand prime (with the round trays) handle snapped in half last week, now I have to prime using my press. LEE's parts area does not show a replacement handle, guess I'll have to break down and buy another.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

In Remembrance
    I have read where member here have used the new style handle that is available from lee on the old style tools. Maybe a good test for the new and improved search tool.

Thanks for the heads up.

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have read where member here have used the new style handle that is available from lee on the old style tools. Maybe a good test for the new and improved search tool.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    If someone would confirm that it will work, I will get one and have an extra. According to Lee, the new handle will not work on the old round tray priming tool.

Boolit Master
    Mine busted a linkage, made my first replacement part too short,
    then came up with this:

In Remembrance
    My understanding is lee claims it won't, but at least one member (I don't remember who) said he tried it anyway and it worked for him. Mine hasn't broke, soo I don't myself have any answer for you. I am kicking myself as I threw one away a couple years ago, that the handle was good on. At the time I had another one in better shape, and didn't know they were prone to breaking. I seldom use mine though, preferring the ram prime of depending on the press, just using it.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I have had all of the Lee hand priming tools except the original with screw on shell holders. I actually like the XR but I like the ergo the best. Many years ago I had one of the RCBS versions that had the primer tray and used the standard shell holders, it worked very well and I liked it a lot however it is my understanding that the current production of these is in China and the quality is quite inferior to what it was in the past.
    I like the RCBS priming tool...but I have never had one that was good quality, even those from 20yrs ago...seemed like 5000rds was about the life of them.

Boolit Buddy

Today I decided to begin upgrading my reference library and I bought Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. On page 34 he states that as the old style hand prime with the round trays is now deemed "unsafe", if you return the old style auto prime (broken or working) to Lee along with half the cost of the current hand prime unit, Lee will replace the old unit with the new style.

I have one with the round trays and a new unit with the square trays, haven't used the new one much yet but I am sure it will get a good workout in the future.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

In Remembrance
    Wasn't there a case or two of someone somehow popping a primer off with the old style? I seem to remember you were only suppose to use one brand of primers with them, maybe cci.

Boolit Buddy

Lee Priming tools.....grease the moving parts....periodically

This helps reduce wear on the part that pushes the small or lg. primer pin up. That part wears to the point it won't seat the primers all the way. When this happens put a small piece of a soda can on top of it (greased on both sides). This shim will give you a few more years of service. Takes alittle fussing, trimming and adjustment but works.....easier than trying to describe it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I have an Auto Prime, it works good but inflames my tendonitis and arthritis. I use it for small batches, but rarely.

I also have an Auto Prime II, the press mounted version. That one works really well, I prefer to use it for batch priming, I'll sit and prime up several hundred cases in one sitting.

I'm a wierdo, I guess. I like to get my brass all cleaned, polished, resized, trimmed and reprimed first, then store it that way. When I want to load, I just have to fill 'em up.
    Here is a good tip for the Auto Prime II and small primers. I use the Bushings from my RCBS APS primer in the shell holders for the LEE tool.
    Improves the performance 110% No more off center primers getting mashed.
    RCBS part# 186232 large bushing
    RCBS part# 186233 small bushing.

You use both for small primers. You can call RCBS and order them.

I have not filled a APS strip since.
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 05-13-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Great idea, I was trying to get a part machines to do exactly the same thing. Just need to find out where to get these little parts individually over here in Germany...
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    - Evely Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    Today I decided to begin upgrading my reference library and I bought Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. On page 34 he states that as the old style hand prime with the round trays is now deemed "unsafe", if you return the old style auto prime (broken or working) to Lee along with half the cost of the current hand prime unit, Lee will replace the old unit with the new style.
    Yes, but by the time you pay to ship your old one to them and then pay their shipping rate to get the new one, you can go just about anywhere on the interwebs and purchase a new one cheaper.

I love the old Auto prime. I realized when in use, there is no barrier between the priming action and the rest of the primers in the tray, so I always wear Safety glasses. The Ergo prime came out a few years ago and was touted as now having a barrier for safety against chain detonations. Ingenious the way the primers came out of the tray and were routed up and down into the priming area. I found it to cause more sideways and flipped primers. Let my Step son try it and he broke it after a couple hundred primers. Quickly went out and bought up some of the remaining Auto primes in the LGS's. Kept one set up for LP's and one for small. I have the RCBS unit for if and when all the Auto primes wear out or break.

In Remembrance

I have four of the auto primes I bought years ago off eBay for cheap. Back before the craze I would bid low and was surprised to buy them so cheap. They have loaded many thousands of primers and get occasional lube of parts. I don't care for the primer tubes for the RCBS table top. I used them for a while on my Rockhucker and found them to be a pain.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Buy a Lee C Press and a Ram Prime and you still have $50 left over to buy a 1000 primers
    And when the primers are gone you will still have a nice example of aluminum and plastic junk.

Boolit Grand Master
    I prime cases in a number of ways, depending on caliber and operation under way at the time. I sometimes use the swing-arm on the Rock Chucker; other times I use the RCBS Positive Ram priming unit on this same press. Often I prime handgun ammo on the Ponsness-Warren P-200 using its version of the ram unit.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post
    Great idea, I was trying to get a part machines to do exactly the same thing. Just need to find out where to get these little parts individually over here in Germany...
    RCBS has an incredibly great service. They'll ship the parts to me free of costs, to Germany! Thanks RCBS!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    - Evely Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Repaired my handle using this 2 part epoxy.
    Attachment 105204

Added 2 finishing nails under (kind of like rebar in conc.) the epoxy to help bridge the break.Attachment 105205

I had already bought a new LEE (square tray) and tried the handle in my old primer, which seemed to function fine, although I did not prime any casings.
    Attachment 105206

Hopefully I'll try both out today, see which one I like more, and have a backup in case this happens again.
    Attachment 105207

Slim

Well, the old handle broke first time I used it, back to the drawing board, however, I PUT THE NEW STYLE HANDLE IN MY OLD PRIMER AND IT DID WORK.

Slim