Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet stuck in sizing die.

Bullet stuck in sizing die.

So I've recently been powder coating my boolits and have had good success with my 9mm. I've run them through a Lee .356 sizing die AFTER they were powder coated and never had a problem. I recently purchased a Lee .357 sizing die to try a larger diameter boolit in my .355 barrel and the first PC boolit I ran up it stuck. When I say stuck, I mean stuck. The base of the boolit flattened out and filled the bottom of the sizing die.

I'm not sure if the die was sized wrong (it is labeled correctly) or what but now I have a sizing die filled with lead and I can't remove the boolit.

i tried pushing back from the top but the nose started to deform and I stopped. I could put the base in the melt of my casting pot and try to melt it out, not sure what that would do to the die. I could try and drill it out I suppose....

Thoughts?

Solved: See post #25
    Last edited by Cloudwraith; 05-03-2014 at 12:29 PM.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Boolit Master
    propane torch.

If drill parts of it out, and melt the rest.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    - Evely Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

next casting session dip it in the pot. Or put it on a hotplate turned up on something to catch the liquid lead or a propane torch as was mentioned.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You might could just start heating a cool die with the torch and then push the boolit out from the top as long as you tried it a few times immediately as the die is warming up but the boolit hasn't started heating and expanding with it yet. You might not have to go all the way to a melted state then.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

ADMIN

just beat it out with a punch and a hammer. try not to damage the die.
    it will come out.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

Be careful with a torch or you may anneal the steel. I would call up Lee and explain the problem and they may just send you a new die.

In Remembrance
    Bigger hammer, just don't break the press.

Arbor press it out w/ a brass or aluminum bar as a push rod.

After it's out, clean the die and check it's inside size.

Boolit Grand Master
    Then lube the first boolit you put through the die.

Boolit Master
    ARRRGHHH! That seems to be going around Cloudwraith! I did the same basic thing yesterday sizing and seating gas checks. Now mind ya I wouldn't do this on some presses but mine was in a Lyman Spartan (quite stout) and I snatched up the brass rod with tape every few inches that I use to slug bores....then the 32oz Estwing framing hammer. Hit it like ya mean it son. It'll come out of there. Audie...the Oldfart..

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Brass rod and a heavy hammer. Set the die on a piece of hardwood and whack the rod.

Brass and lead are MUCH softer than the steel in the die and you will not hurt it. Once out, clean it well and DO check the size with (if you have it) micrometer feeler gauge. Or try another boolit.....GENTLY!!!!

Any heating could warp or change the die sizing. Those push-thru's are not super hard, but you could mess it up. Then if you do, they only cost about $20! No big loss.

banger

Boolit Master
    Funny you should ask. I sized some 340gr bullets for the 411-JDJ and they got stuck. What was going on was the large bearing surface of the hard cast and heat treated bullet was galling in the size die. Look at the attached video and pause it at the 13 second point. See that large sized bearing surface? What has eliminated the bullets from seizing in the sizing die is a little bit of bullet lube applied with the finger tips at that bearing surface before running them down into the die.

Please don't really blow torch your sizer. Disassemble the sizing die and base enough to remove the die with the stuck bullet. Invert the die on a bench vise with the jaws open enough to hold the die on top of it, allowing the bullet to slip through the jaws. Tap the base of the die where the piston extends out with a hammer and drive the bullet out carefully.

Again. apply bullet lube with your fingers on the bullet before sizing them to lubricate the darn thing in the die. This has only happened to me when sizing very hard cast bullets.

Last edited by Tar Heel; 04-30-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    The sizes marked on lee dies are just a general guideline, plus or minus .005"

Boolit Buddy
    Another technique I've used is to cut a small piece of lead, cover with a light oil and push it against the existing piece to force lube around it. That sometimes helps get it moving.

If you have a lathe or a drill press, drill a hole directly through the center of the lead all the way through. That way you're not pushing the lead against the sides and fighting that bulging action with even more friction.

When you get the thing out, clean thoroughly.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    From my understanding of it.... it is a LEE push thru die. Tapping it at the base is only gonna push the boolit in there further.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

I'd drill most of it out with a hand drill, then push the rest out,
    or put some penetrating oil in and on another slug and try to push through.

Boolit Master

Freeze it...freezing works for stuck brass..why not for stuck lead?

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Then I must be lucky so far. I've got 4 of them and they're all dead on...

Spray-on case lube works on boolits too.

If it was my die, I'd just rest it loosely in the jaws of my bench vice like the previous poster said and whack it out. Lead soft; steel hard. Might need to de-lead the die afterwards.
    Last edited by Cmm_3940; 05-01-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Uh, maybe +-.0005? Tolerance should be pretty much industry standard, half a thousand, not five thousand. If 5 thousandths, they would have long been out of business.........