Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: do you dip?

Boolit Master

do you dip?

When I was a little boy my dads hunting buddies started getting centerfire rifles for deer, and of course my dad stayed with his trusty 16 ga win 12. The coolest guy in the bunch and he lived close by was Wayne. Now Wayne bought a 760 remmy in 243 and he reloaded with a lee hand loader. I vividly remember him reloading at his workbench, smoking those nasty camel no filter cigarets and when he put the powder in he would lean back and dip the cartridge in a tin can that was full of powder and level of the top and would crunch the pullet in. After wards he would shoot these and he almost always had 1 moa groubs off a rest! The other day as I was stuffing 4350 into a 30-30 cartridge and it was near the top I thought why don't I just dip this thing like ole Wayne used to do, but I could not bring myself to do it, heck I don't hardly ever use my rcbs powder tool as I just feel I must personally weigh each charge. It sure would be nice to dip, but I can't!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

WOW !! Ol Wayne must have been using some S L O W powder for that load. But then, if it worked, it worked !! Like you, not my style though. To each his own. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I have loaded at the range using a lyman 310 tool for 357 mag and dipped 700x straight from the can using lee dippers. People look at you real strange.

Boolit Master

I have dipped using 5051 powder for a .50 BMG. Just fill the case and seat a boolit.

Boolit Master

Never tried his technique but ol' Wayne's load must've been something like my 'pet' coyote load for the .243 Win. A measured 43.5 gr. of IMR4350 fills my Remington brass about halfway up the neck when poured through a funnel so it's not hard to imagine a case charged by 'dipping'...tapped a time or two to settle the charge...would have about the same compression after seating a bullet.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

That used to be standard procedure with the .22 Lovells in the late '30s thru 1950 or so. Fill the case level full with 4198 and jam a 50 grain J-wart in on top. That load could go 65,000+ psi when the chamber was tight, (a lot were so tight they squeaked), and the throat was short. No wonder that case life was often just 2-3 loadings!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Because using an actual dipper is one step to many? I have some slow powder loads that fill the case, and use a Lee dipper with some cast WC860 loads. For some reason, dipping the whole case just does not appeal to me.

Boolit Master
    Used Lee dippers and others made out of cartridge brass BEFORE Lee dippers were readily available. With ball powders, dippers can stay within 0.1 grain with consistent technique. The coarse and long-grained powders are less accurately measured but all work as accurately as most powder measures. As with powder measures, operator technique and consistency are key.

Boolit Bub
    My guess is that old Wayne was using the old H4831, similar to how old Barry used to do with his old 270.....

....except Barry didn't smoke.

Ted

Boolit Grand Master

I will admit to being a dipper. Before I owned a measure I had a scale and dippers . Dipping is easier than resetting my measure. Except if I'm loading a whole bunch of rounds. Right now my measure is set to throw 5.0 grains of Unique, thats my load for 45 acp and will work for 38 special.
    If I need something else, it's usually onle 50 to 100 rounds and I dip those.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    i dip almost all of mine. mostly pistol loading though.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I have dipped using 5051 powder for a .50 BMG. Just fill the case and seat a boolit.
    I've done that with the 06...that was a slllloowwww powder. Almost needed a duplex load to make it go off.

Vendor Sponsor

skinny and usually in the company of a fine woman
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    A while ago i was given a can of some kind of military powder.

One day i tried loading some in the 223 rifle i had.
    Poured the powder in a bowl and just filled the brass up to the neck and shot some 55gr bullets.
    Nothing blew up but when opening the action i had unburned powder.
    Seems to like it where the neck/shoulder join.
    Shot the rest up in a battery canon.
    This stuff could have been used for jewelery because of the large hole in it.

Boolit Grand Master

I use dippers all of the time. For trying different powders in a revolver i use one closest in size to what i want and pour it onto a scale. I leave a set at my camp so i dont have to cart reloading stuff around. For target plinking stuff its plenty close enough for me
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I use dippers, but I weigh heavy charges for pistols and weigh most everything for rifles....I just weigh it by dipping it out of a container and dumping the dipper into a scale. I've gotten pretty efficient at the process, even with flaky powders.

I have a set of Lee dippers and did use them in the 60's and 70's for pistols. I also have the Lee 12 ga. kit for shotguns. Both are sitting on a shelve, collecting dust and waiting for a day to go back to work!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

In Remembrance

My friend's uncle used to load 243 that way. I think it was H4831 in the 50# tub and a varmint weight bullet.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee dippers. They are accurate. Weights checked on a 10-10 scale.
    Been know to grind down a case to get a custom weight on a certain powder.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....