RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: HI-TEK Shelf Life

Boolit Buddy

HI-TEK Shelf Life

I mix my HI-TEK in a plastic squeeze (Ketchup) Bottle. I put a cap on it when I am done.

According to the instructions, I should only mix up enough to use in about 5 days.

Often times there is enough left in the bottle to coat several more bullets, but I have been tossing it out after 5 days.

Is this necessary, or can I keep it bottled up in an air tight container(Ketchup bottle) for longer than 5 days? If so how long does it keep? If not what will happen if I try and use old HI-TEK?

Boolit Master

steve4102,

I only mix up small amounts (just a few teaspoons or so) to do both coats to my

projectiles within several days. I mix 5/1/7 ACETONE mix, some people mix

even up to like 5/1/10 Acetone mix to help thin out a color like the RED-COPPER.

It gives a thinner/smoother coating and appearance, some also do 3 coats with this.

I cast ahead, then decide how many of what I want to coat/bake.

I mix/store in 20 ounce Coca Cola bottles as the Acetone doesn't affect them.

Ausglock mixes larger amounts as he casts and coats LARGE amounts of them.

He keeps product in a refrigerator I believe.

You might look backwards through the pages of posts, Ausglock comments a bunch.

He is also an Australian tester/shooter of the product.

The process will be easier for many people when the DRY MIX product hits the

good ole' USA in a few months, just add Acetone and you're set. (Color & Catalyst are together dry)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
    I mix my HI-TEK in a plastic squeeze (Ketchup) Bottle. I put a cap on it when I am done.

According to the instructions, I should only mix up enough to use in about 5 days.

Often times there is enough left in the bottle to coat several more bullets, but I have been tossing it out after 5 days.

Is this necessary, or can I keep it bottled up in an air tight container(Ketchup bottle) for longer than 5 days? If so how long does it keep? If not what will happen if I try and use old HI-TEK?
    Steve,
    I would keep it. I have some I mixed and left for months and used it without any ill effects.
    I am not encouraging anyone to do it, but those are my findings.
    Donnie
    Last edited by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings; 04-25-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: horrible grammar

Boolit Master
    ^. what Donnie said. me too... I use liquid dawn bottles. Left it for weeks and no ill effects.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

steve4102,

You've just heard from the horses mouth now, a couple commercial casters that use the HI-TEK coatings.
    They use a lot more coating product than I do.

MOONMAN

P.S. swamprat, my order of Brick Red and and Gold 1035 you shipped Wed
    along with the 500 mold release arrived this afternoon.