Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Probably a dumb lube question.

Boolit Mold

Probably a dumb lube question.

Hello. New member, longtime shooter here. I`m getting back into muzzle loading but am new to casting, so here is a dumb question;
    Can Lee Alox lube replace or be used instead of Bore Butter, grease, etc. on black powder bullets? Obviously would be easier and a lot less messy. I`m shooting a New Englander .50, and a Investarms .54.
    Thanks,
    keithfan

I doubt it would work very good. Look into the bullshop nasa lube.

Perm-Banned
    ive heard that it is not good from several sources but with my experience ive never had a problem with it with black powder or blackhorn 209. i have one cast bullet .50 cal i use alox in and their is no more fouling than usual with either black or blackhorn 209. it reall works. as i think of it i prelube all my patches for my roundball gun with alox and when it is dry in a couple of days i relube them with a small amount of thompson bore butter. they never schread, cut or burn through and are so good i could reuse them. i love the stuff.

Lube also works to soften the fouling. I would use Crisco mixed with beeswax and add olive oil to get the right consistency. I know it can be messy but it works well. You just have to keep a range rag around for clean up.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a dumb question Lee recommends tumble lubing all there bullets using alox lube. You can read about it in Modern reloading in the black powder chapter. Anymore i Tumble lube my Lee Real bullets. In the past i have made my own lube 1/4 wax ring, one stick canning wax a few table spoons Crisco, olive oil or bore butter. There are many lubes you can make the one i posted is made out of cheap easy to find ingredients.

Keithfan,
    When I first shot BP in a Cowboy Action Match I merely stuffed alox/beeswax lubed bullets into the cases with BP and within about 8 rounds was shooting PATTERNS rather than groups through my rifle. The bore fouled so bad it looked like an old sewer pipe. Unless you want to do a wet swab "pull through" every 5-8 rounds (and get your shirt sleeve or worse, all blackened) then you really need to use a suitable BP lube and lots of it. The lube carrying capacity of the bullet is critical (wide grooves preferred).
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    No. Don't think so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by keithfan View Post
    Hello. New member, longtime shooter here. I`m getting back into muzzle loading but am new to casting, so here is a dumb question;
    Can Lee Alox lube replace or be used instead of Bore Butter, grease, etc. on black powder bullets? Obviously would be easier and a lot less messy. I`m shooting a New Englander .50, and a Investarms .54.
    Thanks,
    keithfan
    Answer is simple. Tumble lube some in LLA. Shoot them. Lube some with XYZ muzzleloader conical lube. Shoot them. Compare and report results.

Lube some with unsalted lard and shoot them. Sometimes it's just plum wunnerful.
    I try to make do with a mixture of lanolin, olive oil and beeswax in various amounts, calling it LOOB.