WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Consistent Crimp Handle

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    Tuckerp;
    Here is a link to the only picture I found .
    All others are of the RC Supreme.
    javascript:;javascript:;Nope Excuse my PC ignorance.
    Will try again.
    Pepe Ray
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Rock-Ch...33.m2042&_trkp
    What you have pictured is a RockChucker II. This picture also shows this name cast into the press frame on the left side. The handle shaft of the RockChucker II is a 5/8's diameter. This means you would use the RCBS Style One adapter. In other words we can fit your press, no fuss, no muss. Here is the link:http://www.bulkreloadingsupply.com/r...momaster-i-ii/

As a side note: Through the many years, RCBS has really only used two sizes, 5/8's and 9/16's handle OD. Most are threaded, some old models are not. We we include an extra lock nut with all RCBS adapters anyway. This allows for the mounting and lock down of the quick release adapter anyway, using one nut on top of the cast and one below effectively "sandwiching" the casting linkage between the nuts.

If your goal is to have a new linkage piece machined or cast to allow for a right and left handle position, I can assure you that the time, hassle and expense of creating this new "one off" part will far out out way the cost of buying a second press. Let me suggest you spend your money a different way and while you save some money, you will avoid the hassles for free. I have found having an extra press to be invaluable for convenience and speed. From our testing, a reloader will never exceed 365 ft lbs of force ....after the mechanical advantage of the press linkage-(in other words at the ram head, to crimp or neck size). This "could" be done with a plastic framed press...which of course no-one would buy. The point being , one does not need a heavy duty press-(read expensive), to crimp or neck size.

There is a "but".... an accurate press is important. Which brings me to the new Breech Lock Technology from Lee or the Lock and Load Tech' from Hornady. Lee's is the least expensive being lower than $75.00 which usually is within the "wife allowed" discretionary buying power of most reloaders. This press is shown here:http://www.bulkreloadingsupply.com/b...allenger-press
    Breech Lock tech' while being very fast and convenient for die swaps, more importantly eliminates two nagging variables,

1. depth variance
    2. "radial tolerance"

Each time a die swap is made on a traditional press, there is the potential for variance in die "depth" and the lesser known "radial tolerance." This is the "slop" between the male die threads and the female press head nut threads, (without this tolerance/slop, nuts and bolts would not thread together). Your die threads actually "float" within this thread tolerance before you lock it down. This "float" represents "radial variance" which can and will affect your reloads. When cost assessing, keep in mind a separate bushing must be purchased for each die.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tuckerp229; 04-06-2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typing error

Boolit Master

Gentlemen all, thank you for taking an interest in my plight. For the most part all have been productive and I'll surely benefit from this.

Doc was correct on all counts. Wally's first (top) picture was a dead ringer for my press. There is NO RC II cast in it anywhere. Only RC bracketed with hyphens and powder coated. Also the handle is threaded only far enough to accommodate the locking nut.
    I figure that by extending the threads on the handle I'll have room to add a piece of 1/4" steel plate with appropriate mods to fab a CC attachment.

Of the several adapters offered by Titan nothing will work without mods. I think your collective assistance will get me through this.
    Thanks all.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Mold
    Over time does the Consist Crimp require recalibration? If so what is required to do so? Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shoebox56 View Post
    Over time does the Consist Crimp require recalibration? If so what is required to do so? Thanks.
    Shoebox, All torque wrenches can "wear" and /or suffer from shop abuse. I think we could say that a CC used at the reloading bench will probable not or never see the floor, sand, oil etc... that an auto mechanic's tools see every day. Various mechanical disciplines, industries have specific "recalibration" rules for businesses regarding such things. I believe they are governed by "ISO 9000-2014" or something like that. I know that airplane mechanics are specifically required to have their torque wrenches "certified" on a periodic schedule. What percentage of them actually need adjustment is another question.

There are companies in most every large city and of course on the internet one could that will certify and if necessary, adjust a torque wrench should the need arise.