Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 105 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2592

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Mold

A reason to pursue PC?

Powder coating looks like it might have potential. My search skills aren't the best, so maybe one of you can direct me to threads or posts that speak to someone's getting the equivalent of paper patch performance from powder coating. The parameter measure standards for .30 cal for paper patched are 2500fps or better with consistent (10 rounds, 100 yds) 1.5 MOA or better accuracy. If someone is doing this with powder coat, ideally in .308 or .30-06, I haven't been able to find it. I'd be wiling to look beyond paper patching if that's there. Until then, I'm still moving toward a 2700/1MOA goal in PP .308 - something a bunch of us know to be in striking distance.

The lure of the ease of powder coat is powerfully seductive, if only it just worked...

Vendor Sponsor

we have several people knocking at the door of 2500fps or better with consistent (10 rounds, 100 yds) 1.5 MOA or better accuracy in a 308 30-06 ..

keep in mind this method has only been kicking around here for about a year.. lots of discoverys still to make ..
    I have gotten over 2000 FPS in 308 with sub MOA ( have not tried to push further yet but will be this summer) and 1900 with the dreaded 6.5 x 55 shooting a 145 gr powdercoated bullet..
    It just takes time and experimenting ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

When they went to solid copper rifle bullets they found they needed less contact with the bore for the longer bullet. I'm starting to get real curious if a lube groove free mold is really the coated bullet's best friend.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classicballistx View Post
    Powder coating looks like it might have potential. My search skills aren't the best, so maybe one of you can direct me to threads or posts that speak to someone's getting the equivalent of paper patch performance from powder coating. The parameter measure standards for .30 cal for paper patched are 2500fps or better with consistent (10 rounds, 100 yds) 1.5 MOA or better accuracy. If someone is doing this with powder coat, ideally in .308 or .30-06, I haven't been able to find it. I'd be wiling to look beyond paper patching if that's there. Until then, I'm still moving toward a 2700/1MOA goal in PP .308 - something a bunch of us know to be in striking distance.

The lure of the ease of powder coat is powerfully seductive, if only it just worked...

There is thread "Real Accuracy 2 moa or less at 1800 fps or greater" that I started out of the same frustration you have. 100 page threads of a lot of posts that are meaningless or only applicable to pistol loads. There have been less a handful of success stories in the 8 pages - so - short answer - it can be done - sometimes - by a few people. It is definitely not easy or simple and we may not know why some have success and most do not. Or even if the process is repeatable.

One or two groups are not "proof" unless the performance can be replicated. We do not know if changes in humidity and baking during the coating process affects how the coatings work day to day, week to week and month to month.

But at his point, even a few good groups will provide a base for development and understanding. That is why I put an "easy" set of criteria for "success". Let's face it, with lubed bullets, 2 moa at 1800 fps is not a one year journey.

The technology is new. We have many camps shouting "success" as they define it. HT, dry tumble, wet tumble, and ES. I have butted heads with folks who believe that success is "no leading at 3000+fps". Whoppie!!! But groups that cannot be covered by your hand.

I am hoping that the success stories are not posted on these 100+ page threads as the info will be lost in the debris. Success stories should be posted on the thread I started. These threads are for lookie-loos, "look at what I did today", and pretty pictures. Nothing wrong with that - we need "feel good" threads. But in the end, the question remains.

"Where's the beef?"

If it is buried under mountains of chicken nuggets, it is difficult to find.

Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by classicballistx View Post

Well we just can't expect something to be the cure-all for everything. Many hundreds of us are doing PC with excellent success. We do not "scrape the ionosphere" like you are talking about with speed. We are happy with MANY thousands of plinking and sub-sonic rounds fired with no leading and easy loading.

I am sure as this moves along, those on here that do want to go uber-fast with PC will give us some more results. Until then, I re-load full load 30-06's with FMJ's as I know the results! Reduced loads are all PC.

Let us know if you do try some experimenting with PC at those speeds & accuracy! We would welcome the data. I cannot do it because the indoor range I use regularly does not allow 06's. And my visits to outdoor ranges that do are very limited and far between.

have fun.

banger

Boolit Buddy

I picked up the HF kit a couple days ago, got to gather a few more items, should work nicely below 2000fps in my .458 socom, when I final get my ducks in a row.

Where was the mention of the HF matte black being abrasive or something? I know I saw it mentioned but can't seem to find it in a search.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master
    There is some talk........and that is all it is. No definitive proof at all. Just talk....from "doubting Thomas's" that offer no definite proof of barrel wear.

I coat and shoot the HF matte black all the time as do many others on here with virtually ZERO problems or noticeable wear. The reason for the dissing of the HF black may be because one cannot coat using it "on the cheeeeeeeep" with dry tumble method. I use both methods successfully and they both have their place, but prefer ESPC for it's accuracy and looks. And the black!!!!!!!! That matte black just looks sexy!

There have been NO verified reports that I have read about dealing with abrasive problems in gun barrels with HF black.

Have fun with your new toy!

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy

Sweet! I have a can of that and one of the red. I thought the candy apple red looked sharp, for down the road if I get hooked. Might try some John Deere green and yellow for my dad later too. I'm a bigger fan of functional than pretty, but this is one of those rare occasions where functional IS pretty.

Randy

Boolit Bub
    A wild and crazy idea: drop the recently cast bullet into the powder and swirl it around in a metal container, remove the bullet and heat in oven for 15-20 minutes.

Has anybody tried this? Any dangers?

Thanks

Love Life
    Probably get a bunch of clumping...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFanOH View Post
    A wild and crazy idea: drop the recently cast bullet into the powder and swirl it around in a metal container, remove the bullet and heat in oven for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks
    YES............! Waste of time. As LL said.........uncontrolled clumping! What a mess.

Just stick with the proven methods and you will be very happy.

banger

Boolit Bub
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I posed this question on the HT thread also.
    With every coat of PC we add about .002/3. And depending on what type of powder being used. We use 1 or 2 coates.
    If our bullets were .002/.003 under size wouldn't the sizing go easier? Kevin

Boolit Buddy

look, when your powder coating, you dont know exactly how much your putting onto the bullets.. your only guessing that you sprayed .002 or .001, or even .003 because you sprayed the **** out of it.

it doesnt really matter.. you cast at the size you want, then you run them into a size die. then powder coat them, then size them again. its that simple.

dont try and skip a step, it will only bring the big square white truck to see you.

cheers.
    Dan

Boolit Buddy

also, sizing powder coated bullets is easier than sizing anything else on the face of the planet. i tells yea, a little lube and its like your not sizing all. so i dunno how you can make sizing any easier. its already easy to size. even when your sizing .006 smaller.. its nothing compared to sizing lead or brass.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFanOH View Post

Thanks
    I'm confused. Are you asking if dropping the boolit straight from the mould into the powder would work? Or, are you asking if, sometime later (after the boolit cooled), dropping the boolit into powder would work? If the second, it most certainly works. If the first, then yes, you'd get clumping.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I posed this question on the HT thread also.
    With every coat of PC we add about .002/3. And depending on what type of powder being used. We use 1 or 2 coates.
    If our bullets were .002/.003 under size wouldn't the sizing go easier? Kevin
    As said above, boolits with PC slide thru the Lee dies with ease! Most of mine pass thru with hardly any resistance. Even if some are tight, the PC does not come off and acts as a lube. Nothing else is needed as a lube when sizing. In fact, any lube you apply could attack the PC and ruin it's properties we are after. I size AFTER casting and AFTER PC'ing. I use the same mold/dies as I used back when doing standard grease lubing. I get absolutely ZERO leading in the many cal's I shoot with PC.

I use ONLY ONE COAT. If you need more than one, it is a waste of your time and energy. Either change your coating method or use another powder that does coat in one single coat! Avoid light colors all together. They just do not coat well as you have always seen with standard light paints applied over dark surfaces.

Have fun.

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    As said above, boolits with PC slide thru the Lee dies with ease! Most of mine pass thru with hardly any resistance. Even if some are tight, the PC does not come off and acts as a lube. Nothing else is needed as a lube when sizing. In fact, any lube you apply could attack the PC and ruin it's properties we are after. I size AFTER casting and AFTER PC'ing. I use the same mold/dies as I used back when doing standard grease lubing. I get absolutely ZERO leading in the many cal's I shoot with PC.

I use ONLY ONE COAT. If you need more than one, it is a waste of your time and energy. Either change your coating method or use another powder that does coat in one single coat! Avoid light colors all together. They just do not coat well as you have always seen with standard light paints applied over dark surfaces.

Have fun.

bangerjim
    You size them after casting before you coat them? I'm just curious why?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    You size them after casting before you coat them? I'm just curious why?
    I size after casting to be certain that they are round and all the same size before PC. If you don't close the mold all the way or get something (lead splatter) between the halves your castings will not be round. I size after PC to take out the possibility of not having a uniform coating thickness boolit to boolit.

ipijohn - makes no sense. Coating is x thickness, out of round will be round after sizing WITH coating. Sizing will NOT make the coating uniform thickness.
    Whatever!