MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: anyone making 70 grn .224 for sale

Boolit Master

For those of you that think the 223 is not suitable for hogs, they are are plenty. Like everything, proper shot placement is everything. I use a 22LR shot to the head every year on my hogs when it's time to slaughter and I have never had an issue. You could be using a 338 Lapua and if you don't do your part, you won't get them to drop. A properly placed 223 in the vitals will drop a hog right in its tracks. Using home made 224's, they don't tend to hold together, but you can always spit that out when you find it.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

if you don't expose lead at the tip.
    use a harder core.
    and don't do an annealing on the case a heavier weighted 22 bullet is pretty tough.

when I first started making 223 rounds from 22 jaxkets I was having problems getting them to not act like a fmj on small animals.
    I shot lengthwise through a female coyote and watched it run a couple of hundred yards trailing blood the whole time with one of my first attempts.
    to use them as varmint bullets I ended up adding just enough lead to expose some, going to a softer alloy, and annealing the nose of the finished round before final polishing.

Vendor Sponsor

Took me a while to find the pics but here are some 69 grain bullets I made from 22lr jackets. Recovered the bullet in the second milk jug full of water IIRC. I think I recovered less then 20 grains but it certainly took care of the milk jug

Here is the video of the milk jugs hit with this recovered bullet. Looks like it made it to the second milk jug? The fun starts at 40 seconds into the video!
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 02-21-2014 at 05:35 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Yea, try shooting a 55 to 57 grain hollow point into water jugs at over 3000 fps and see what happens. I did, and all you end up with is small pieces. It's like a little grenade.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

I'm probably making a huge mistake commenting on this thread, but this has to be the strangest thing I've seen on this forum. There appears to be a few really confused individuals here. From the OP that can't decide whether he wants to "blast them hogs" with any crummy cheap bullet he can get his hands on and then calls people names for urging him to use the right tools for the job. Nobody said he shouldn't kill the hogs that were causing him problems. Then the amateur psychologist weighs in with a lot of boloney. And last, a guy tries to compare shooting a tame animal at point blank range between the eyes to hunting hogzillas in the bush. It's like he thinks every animal you hunt is going to stand there with a big sign around his neck that says shoot me like a Gary Larson cartoon. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had to shoot a lot of times at running animals. You can't always put the shot exactly where you want it. Using an undersized cartridge with a highly frangible bullet isn't going to help get the job done. There is always someone trying to a job with the wrong tool. I've supervised plenty of them on the job. When you point it out to them, what usually happens is they cuss at you under their breath and proceed to screw up the job and or hurt themselves. By the way, isn't calling people names against the rules around here?

Perma-Banned

your right about one thing at least, your mistaken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tyeo098 View Post
    Not to mention its illegal to sell projectiles without a mfg FFL...

But then again...

So... watch your backs.
    I am curious about the source of law that you quote.

Boolit Buddy

I think he means under I.T.A.R. to manufacture for sale.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Howard View Post
    Amen brother. No need to torture the animals. I understand that wild hogs are a problem in Texas and other areas, but what are you trying to do; get revenge?

Perma-Banned

well tiger all i can really say is you are obviously ignorant of the situation.
    but as for revenge , well thats for fools.
    i am just doing my best to eradicate as many as possible by any means possible.
    i know you more sensitive type folks have a problem with that, wait let me check.. nope i didnt think i gave a craap and i was right.

Love Life
    I've killed many an animal with the .223. Alot of deer and several hogs. I shot them in the head and it usually blew their eyeballs out. People seriously overthink killing.

Banned

okay,,,, I don't know whether to laugh or give someone an infraction.

in this case I think I'd just buy some store boughts noted for their toughness and use those..

Boolit Buddy

This thread has been fun. I need a laugh now and then.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Mold
    This has been a fun read.

300savage, if you use an unsuitable bullet on a running animal that causes $500 worth of damage, all it takes is one wounded animal that could have been a dead animal with the correct bullet to negate any cost savings from using home-swaged bullets. We get it, you hate pigs and what matters is they end up dead. So buy some good bullets to make more of them dead. Good bullets are a lot less than $500 a box.

Home-swaged bullet+good hits=dead hogs.
    Fancy bullet+good hits=dead hogs.

Fancy bullet+marginal hits=some kills.
    Home-swaged bullet+marginal hits=fewer kills. More crop damage.

Flame away, savage

Perma-Banned

hate em ? you guys are too much.
    i dont have to be mad at em to want em dead..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    hate em ? you guys are too much.
    i dont have to be mad at em to want em dead..
    It doesn’t matter what you say someone on the forum will think/say you are wrong.
    I had a 45-70 Marlin that I bought to shoot hogs with on a chance that I would be able to hunt with a friend on private property.
    The hog hunt went up in smoke since it was no more than a lie a guy told my friend.

With enough boolit you should have no problem taking out any offending hog.

Good Luck and happy hunting.
    NRA Life Member