Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Skunk?

Boolit Master

Skunk?

Didn't know where to look and thought if anyo e would know someone here would.
    I need the recipe for the concoction that takes the skunk smell off. It was peroxide dawn dish soap and something else. Damn thing burrowed into the goose blind and the guys are whining.
    I will mothball the holes and get that part done easy enough.
    Used that recipe for deodorizing on a dog a few years back and it worked very well.
    Jeff

Moderator Emeritus

I posted it some time ago... this is what I use on our dogs.
    1 qt. of 3% peroxide
    1/4 C. baking soda
    1 tsp. Dawn

Hope it works on a blind....post how it works....works great on dogs!

Boolit Master

OK, Just laughing here!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

That's the recipe, and it's the only thing I have ever seen work. Don't be afraid to use more Dawn than called for as it breaks down the noxious oils, and be sure and use Dawn. Don't skimp.

Boolit Master

Tractor supply has a product that people claim is real good to kill skunk oder.

Boolit Master
    My two labs got one a few years ago. After washing them with dish soap a couple of times (wearing surgical gloves) I used the old tomato juice cure. I put a full can of tomato juice on them and rubbed it into their coats. I let it sit and dry on them for an hour. I then rinsed it out. They were odor free enough to sleep inside that night. I could still smell the skunk odor for a month afterward if they got wet, but as long as they were dry, they were fine.

Banned
    Brings back memories of when I worked in a grocery store when I was in high school. One sunday morning two hunters entered the store having had made contact of the unpleasant type with a skunk. They purchased a grocery cart full of tomato juice as their cure to get rid of the smell. I don't know if it worked but at the time it seemed funny.

Boolit Master
    Well this is a permanent blind. The pole cat has to go. I have had pretty fair luck with the moth balls keeping unwanted critters out. Ya just have to use plenty. Couple of fellows went to check it out and opened the garage door on it and were greeted. Why in blazes they didn't blast the darn thing once it went outside is beyond me. They are both scared of their own shadow though.
    I am gonna make up about 5 gallons and hose the place down.
    Jeff

Boolit Mold
    Product called skunk off!! LOL my son and I handle 50-60 skunks a year in our trapping and removal service. We have never been sprayed!

I have the problem that it smells like fresh brewed coffee to me making me crave a cup! Several family members are the same, deviant as that it seems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerinNH View Post
    Product called skunk off!! LOL my son and I handle 50-60 skunks a year in our trapping and removal service. We have never been sprayed!

I have the problem that it smells like fresh brewed coffee to me making me crave a cup! Several family members are the same, deviant as that it seems.
    Statistics show that one in ten persons actually like the smell of skunk, I for one love the smell, the wife and kid think i'm crazy.
    Lab

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Statistics show that one in ten persons actually like the smell of skunk, I for one love the smell, the wife and kid think i'm crazy.
    Lab
    I don't mind it, but I lived in a place with no skunks for 20 years and have never been around one that sprayed.

I'm not joking here, but add some name brand ladies feminine hygene powder (douche) to the home made mix listed above. Very effective.....Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Brings back memories of when I worked in a grocery store when I was in high school. One sunday morning two hunters entered the store having had made contact of the unpleasant type with a skunk. They purchased a grocery cart full of tomato juice as their cure to get rid of the smell. I don't know if it worked but at the time it seemed funny.
    Years ago when i was a kid I had run over one with my bike at night going home and my mom had me take a bath in tomato juice the next day after being sent bad home from school because of I still smell like a skunk.It too care of the smell. Also my mom added some thing else to the water after when i was the juice off .it works.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Never had luck with recipes. Just takes time to wear off. If your dog gets sprayed (my dog attacked a skunk in the yard once), just make sure the nose and eyes are cleaned well.

Perm-Banned
    as stated above, tomato juice. my daughter closest friend got nailed out at here place when she was 15 years old. took a bath in tomato juice but the kids in school couldnt sit near her for a week. it was funny, her moms a vet and she is now going to college to be one also. i uncle also got nailed really close and did the tomato juice thing. it helps.

Boolit Master

Tomato Juice works fairly well.

Boolit Master
    Was fishing years ago with my older brother and his friend Red. Red got a hook through his thumb and we had to take him to the local ER room at the hospital. Well the car got skunked on the way and we all smelled real sweet when Red got checked in to get the hook removed. They asked us to wait outside till they were ready to cut the hook out. It took 2 months for my car to clear up even after running it through the car wash many times. Still think of that fishing trip every time I smell a skunk.