Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Powder scale got me stumped

Boolit Master

Powder scale got me stumped

Yesterday I received a call from the daughter of an old friend who has passed on. I bought his gun collection about three years ago and she said she had found a box of reloading gear in a storage shed and she would like to sell the stuff to me. She brought the box full of reloading gear to the house late yesterday. A quick look in the box showed the usual suspects, empty plastic 20 round cartridge boxes, several loading blocks, [an item I never use and I get several more with ever collection I buy] two sets of dies, 32-40 and 22-250, lots of new brass for the 225 single shot rifle I bought from her earlier, [ I would have appreciated that brass when I bought the rifle] and a balance beam scale which is the reason for this post. It was made by Ohaus and it will not come to zero. My question is this. Does anyone have a scale that looks like this? I put powder in the pan until it came to zero and found that it is 30 grains short of balance. Does the pan look right for this scale? Any thoughts?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I have one like it. It is an Ohaus. I will check when I get home from work and post a comparison pic. Mine still has the decals. The pan looks right. there should be some shot or weight in the cradle for the pan. Can you turn the adjustment screw on the bottom?

Boolit Buddy
    Is the leveling adjustment screw bottomed out ? From the picture it looks like it is room to screw it in more to level.

To me tHat looks like a RCBS pan.

Banned
    It is an Ohaus/Lyman. I would first check the lead shot weights in the bottom of the hanger. Make sure someone has not removed a few to set a different zero.
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Pressman is right about the shot weights but that adjustment foot in the picture looks like it would screw in a lot. And shorter on that end is what it needs to balance.

Boolit Master
    I ran the adj screw up and down and it had no effect. It would take a very long screw to make up thirty grains. To me the pan just doesn't look like it belongs on the scale and it is awkward to use. There are no weights in the bottom of the pan. I guess I will have to add weights to make it level. Finster, I will be looking for your pictures. Thanks all.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned
    Your missing the lead shot. Remove the pan and unscrew the holder. Set the level adjustment in the center of its travel. Add shot until the scale levels and again add the hardware you have removed. You may have to remove a piece or two of shot with everything hanging back where it belongs again.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Your missing the lead shot. Remove the pan and unscrew the holder. Set the level adjustment in the center of its travel. Add shot until the scale levels and again add the hardware you have removed. You may have to remove a piece or two of shot with everything hanging back where it belongs again.
    Why not leave it all together and add shot to the pan until it levels? Then take it apart and pour it in.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecarmike View Post
    Why not leave it all together and add shot to the pan until it levels? Then take it apart and pour it in.
    That's what I would do.

Boolit Master
    I did as you fellows suggested. I cut open an old 12 guage and began to add pellets to the pan. I had to cut some of them into smaller pieces to get the right amount or at least very close. Tenth of a grain is close enough. What a pain. I have a Herters balance beam that I bought in 1959 and it is much easier to use. Thanks again fellows.

Boolit Master

Sorry. I did not post pics last night as I thought your questions were answered but I will try to get them up today if I have time at work. The pan and scale are identical to what is on mine so it is correct. My scale is a 505 some slight differences but looks almost the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecarmike View Post
    Your absolutely right. Don't know why I didn't say that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I did as you fellows suggested. I cut open an old 12 guage and began to add pellets to the pan. I had to cut some of them into smaller pieces to get the right amount or at least very close. Tenth of a grain is close enough. What a pain. I have a Herters balance beam that I bought in 1959 and it is much easier to use. Thanks again fellows.
    You should be able to get it spot on. Your scale looks like my 5-0-5 RCBS

Boolit Master

Until the looters decided that they needed my reloading table more than I,Dem old Herters gear was hard to beat.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scale.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	100479

Here we are.

Okay, I don't know why it is upside down or how to fix it!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Finster. It does look like the one I have. I now have five balance beam scales and my go to scale is this Old Herter's scale I bought in 1959. I really like the dampener for the beam. It makes life much easier. I bought one of their powder measures at the same time I bought the scale and it is just as accurate today as any measure I own, and I own a bunch. I hated the day Herters closed there doors. We happened to be going through Mitchell S.D. when they were having a going out of business sale at that store. Very sad.