Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Winchester meets the 45 Colt.

Winchester meets the 45 Colt.

altho the 45 Colt was never chambered in rifles back in the day ... they are so chambered today. namely the Winchester model 92 lever action. as such I have lusted after one for quiet a spell. having some trade ... I looked for a Winchester model 92 in the 45 Colt ... found an engraved model in a 24 inch round barrel that just took my breath ... so I invited it to go home with me.

and after changing the rear sight to a more agreeable arraignment that my eyes do better with ...[full buck horn sight from Marples] .

also for the wise-n hymens ... that hunk of leather covers the snazzy crescent plate ... why ... because my 6 foot 5 inch frame don't do well with the 13 1/4 inch length of pull. setup thusely ... I do a lot less gouging with my thumb and finger into my cheek and cheek bone. AND yes ... im a bit of a sissy ...

it has the terrible wrist mounted safety ... as well as the rebounding hammer ... such a travesty but what can a feller do? I researched the "fix" for these two things before it arrived and was prepared for action in the "fixing" dept. but lo and behold ... when it got here I had to clean and inspect it and after this ... I HAD to shoot the thing before going any further ... sure glad I did. I do not see a thing wrong with either system and at this point I am going to modify absolutely NOTHING. this smooth little shooter is sho nough the shizz nitzz.

into the loading room I took down a can of good ol GOEX cartridge and weighed out 40 grains powder and squeezed it in under my 266 grain Accurate mold number 454260 boolits. I primed the Remington cases with federal match large pistol primers.

looking for a hunting load I experimented with various smokeless powders and ran em cross my chrony screens. I found a good smokeless load but that did me no good with Gods own powder ... sooo ... taking my cartridge loads into the yard I ran a few across my screens to discover what the velocity would work out at and then taking this info I punched in the Taylor formula for KO.

so finding the velocity of my loads going in the 1100 FPS I wound up very nicely surprised. punching in the numbers in the Taylor formula I pleasantly found the number to be a high 21 ... being just almost 2 above the 44 mag numbers ... this with black powder.

im jazzed and cant wait to put this to work on blacktail deer in the brush/timber real estate in western Oregon. the smokeless loads are a fun and competent loads BUT ... those Black Powder loads are the snuffy stuff. they are scarcely a secondary load behind anything else in this category. the BP loads do everything expected from them AND in a spiffy RIFLE that was and is a nice lite carrying package that is so smooth I can barely believe it.

anybody else shoot a Winchester 45 Colt with the BP loads?
    Last edited by bigted; 03-02-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Ted I've had a Winchester 94 trapper in 45 colt since 89
    37 grs of Goex 3f and a Remington 250 gr bulk bullet shoots well, same powder and the rcbs KT 260 is a sledgehammer.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Don ... ever taken any game with yours? I cant imagine any other ...if within its range ... being any better on deer/antelope size critters.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Ted no havent' used it on game animals, really wasn't legal until this past year. But have whacked a bunch of coyotes, prairie dogs and the like.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Beautiful rifle! Pretty cool to shoot BP in it too.

while I do shoot smokeless in my 45 colt weapons ... I always have a great time shooting blackpowder in them. this rifle is just the latest weapon to be fouled up with the honest powder.

when I get back to Oregon ... I fully plan on taking a few blacktail with it. I cant wait to wonder thru the cascades again and hear the coyotes in the night. as well as seeing the bobcats and cougars and smelling the stinky skunks ... what a fun time to come ... the herds of elk will stiffen my heart beat again ... funny what a feller misses even when living in paradise.

I can see this rifle being a part of all that as a partner for the wondering.

That sure is a pretty rifle you got there Ted! And you're right, the 45 Colt loaded with BP doesn't take a back seat to much at all. I don't have a Winchester 45, but do have a Marlin and a USFA revolver. Both get shot mostly (USFA only) with black. I do shoot a B92 357 mag with black only, does that count? Not as much hit as yours bit the lead pot goes further!

-Nobade

Vendor Sponsor

NICE score bigted! That is a beautiful rifle!