Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A comment on Henry Repeating Arms

Quote Originally Posted by enoch59 View Post
    Terk, now that's what I'm talking about. You are very kind to share this wonderful info to me and right on point. I will share something with you. I have a perfect load in .357 that has been just a slam dunk for hunting and or target shooting/popping tin cans etc. It calls for 7.8 grs. Power Pistol with a 158 gr. SWC on top of it. The very best accuracy I've found is with a 158 gr. Gold Dot but even Cast bullets slam the mark with this loading. This load is within safe operation of every lever I've shot as well as pistols. If you haven't used Power Pistol before it's very smooth much like Vit N340 without paying the price. Thank you very much, Enoch.
    Thanks for that load. I haven't tried Power Pistol in several years, is sounds like time to give it a try again. Just have to find it on the shelves. Quickload puts the Lee 158 RF at 1507 FPS out of the 20 inch barrel at only 23k PSI.

I've owned several Rossi 357's and 454's, along with a Browning BLR and other Savage rifle's (bolts). A wide range of quality and price points. The Henry is a solid feeling gun and right up there with the best I've owned, and the octagon barrel is heavier than a round barrel, . That makes for some smooth shooting. I prefer the brass reciever and think it may help with the smoothness right out of the box. When it is dirty and gets some swirls or scracthes it polishes right up with Flitz.

There are a few main lines of lever rifles. The Big Boys are all brass receivers with octagon 20 inch barrels and handgun calibers of 44, 45 colt or 357. The 30-30 comes with either a brass receiver and octagon barrel or steel receiver with a round barrel, it's a little lighter. The 45-70 is a steel/round setup, with "rumors" of a brass receiver/octagon version coming.

Then there are the rimfires, which is what much of this thread talked about. There seem to be a bunch of different versions, with the round barrel / steel version that can be had for less than $300 from Buds. The rimfire line is the only line that has zamak used in it's construction. Including the Golden Boy that has a brass cover over the receiver. The vary widely in price depending on on the specific model. A octagon model with brass I'm sure is a lot higher in price than the $300 model. There are 22 mag and 17 HMR versions too.

There are a few other speciality rifles too.

Unfortuneately I had to use their customer service, my own fault. They just blew me away with their great service, per my original post.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 02-25-2014 at 06:04 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by johnme View Post
    I bought the big boy in 357 and found it in Montana on vac. 699.00 no tax ! Went to see my Brother-in law at is 20 acre piece of land that backs up to the National
    Park 40 miles from Canada. That Henry and I sat with a cup of coffee in the morning and a set of by-pods and prairie dog hunted What fun ! Everyone had to see that beautiful Henry. I think 30-30 will be next.
    Sweet! Any pics out shooting in Montana?
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    Thanks for that load. I haven't tried Power Pistol in several years, is sounds like time to give it a try again. Just have to find it on the shelves. Quickload puts the Lee 158 RF at 1507 FPS out of the 20 inch barrel at only 23k PSI.

I've owned several Rossi 357's and 454's, along with a Browning BLR and other Savage rifle's (bolts). A wide range of quality and price points. The Henry is a solid feeling gun and right up there with the best I've owned, and the octagon barrel is heavier than a round barrel, . That makes for some smooth shooting. I prefer the brass reciever and think it may help with the smoothness right out of the box. When it is dirty and gets some swirls or scracthes it polishes right up with Flitz.

There are a few main lines of lever rifles. The Big Boys are all brass receivers with octagon 20 inch barrels and handgun calibers of 44, 45 colt or 357. The 30-30 comes with either a brass receiver and octagon barrel or steel receiver with a round barrel, it's a little lighter. The 45-70 is a steel/round setup, with "rumors" of a brass receiver/octagon version coming.

Then there are the rimfires, which is what much of this thread talked about. There seem to be a bunch of different versions, with the round barrel / steel version that can be had for less than $300 from Buds. The rimfire line is the only line that has zamak used in it's construction. Including the Golden Boy that has a brass cover over the receiver. The vary widely in price depending on on the specific model. A octagon model with brass I'm sure is a lot higher in price than the $300 model. There are 22 mag and 17 HMR versions too.

There are a few other speciality rifles too.

Unfortuneately I had to use their customer service, my own fault. They just blew me away with their great service, per my original post.
    Thank you for another post 357 shooter. I was hoping that you would reply. From reading your other posts I could tell you were a person after my own heart. I have been waiting for almost three-four years for a Marlin '94 Cowboy Ltd. to show up. I was beginning to think that it was an impossibility until recently when three of them showed on the Marlin site in 30 days or so. I wasn't able to close the deal on them cause I had a 44 Cowboy Ltd. to trade and most wanted the cash. So I sold my 44 and now have the cash. Unfortunately my wife was just T-boned in a car accident (driver ran a red ) and totaled our Toyota Sienna van and my wife is really shook up. The insurance carrier of the other driver is going to try to screw us and so I might need this cash to help buy another vehicle for my wife. It's killing me cause there is a Golden Boy or Big Boy in town for $699 that I've already had in my hands once. This thread has me shaking I want to go buy that bad boy so much but I need to practice restraint. I feel like I'm being try ed in the fire so if it's meant to be the rifle will be there when all is said and done. If not then there is a different rifle out there with my name on it. Patience, isn't it grand ?

Boolit Mold
    Terk, now that's what I'm talking about. You are very kind to share this wonderful info to me and right on point. I will share something with you. I have a perfect load in .357 that has been just a slam dunk for hunting and or target shooting/popping tin cans etc. It calls for 7.8 grs. Power Pistol with a 158 gr. SWC on top of it. The very best accuracy I've found is with a 158 gr. Gold Dot but even Cast bullets slam the mark with this loading. This load is within safe operation of every lever I've shot as well as pistols. If you haven't used Power Pistol before it's very smooth much like Vit N340 without paying the price. Thank you very much, Enoch.
    Thanks for the load data. I wish I could find some Power Pistol around here! Been getting by okay with AA5, HP38, Titegroup, 2400, H110 and a little bit of Unique. Working to find powders that will give the best low pressure loads for the cast boolits. But the jacketed bullets I've tried love the 2400 and H110.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    In a little over a week I get my Big Boy back, with a brand new barrel, and the Skinner sight installed. It was all done flawlessly. All with no charge, not even shipping cost to me. What a first class company. It's a pleasure to shoot the rifle, it's a real joy to deal with a first rate company like Henry.

Thank you Henry!!!
    I am really impressed with what I have heard about Henry's & their service. I may just get one to say thanks for being a good old fashioned American company.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to get the Big Boy 357. The store opens at 9am and I'll be there in the parking lot waiting at 8:45 for the doors to open. I'm almost giddy like a kid that's been waiting to buy a toy that he's wanted for a long time. At 60 y/o a man doesn't get that feeling much any more and I'm enjoying it immensely. Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate this site and its' members ( for the most part anyway ).

Sorry about the car and the scare you wife had to go through. That can mess up cash flow in a big way. Yeah, patience is not a strong suite for most folks, I'm kinda short on it myself.

I get the 60 year old - giddy thing since I'm the same age. Good luck this morning and looking forward to hearing back from you.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If Henry brings out a .357 with blued receiver like the .30-30 I would be very tempted. The shiny brass is a deal breaker for me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If Henry brings out a .357 with blued receiver like the .30-30 I would be very tempted. The shiny brass is a deal breaker for me.
    I'd hate to be the one to tempt you but... www.henryrepeating.com/henry-rifles.cfm . I'm toying with the idea of doing this with my new Henry :
    http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20788. No, not turning it into a .475 but color case hardening all the shiny brass. I have every intention of hunting my new rifle until I drop dead with it in my hands and I'm not a fan of shiny anything. Besides I scratch up just about anything that I use and those scratches will show up big time on that brass but not so if it's color case hardened. What do you guys think ?

I just saw the brass receiver .357 on the website. Have they come out with a blue receiver and its just not shown perhaps? I guess the brass receiver really isn't a total deal breaker, I just wouldn't pay full price for it. I just sold one of my .30-30's so another Henry might be in my future!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

They have "blue" all steel .30-30 and .45-70 that look really nice and are lighter.

The 357, 45 and 44 are the Big Boy series and have all brass receivers. There is no blue option with them. It gets talked about, maybe they will come out with them.

Some of the other rifles include:

The 30-30 comes two ways. 1 - brass receiver / octagon barrel or 2 - blue receiver / round barrel (agree w/jmortimer)

The 45/70 only comes with a blue receiver and round barrel (also agree w/jmortimer). This is supposed to come out in a brass receiver octagon configuration, but there's no date that I'm aware of.

The brass receiver does get scratched, a little flitz polishes it right up. Not everyone likes the shiny brass though.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

I just got back from the range with Henry in tow. Getting used to loading via the tube is going to take awhile but it's doable. What is a real problem to me is I can't seem to find complete takedown instructions. There is a company selling a DVD for $15 or so but I'd really be upset if the takedown is the same as my Marlins which I am pretty sure it is. I just want to inspect all the parts to make sure they can take a diet of full power loads day in and day out. I know the rifle takes recoil to a whole new level of non-existence. I mean all of my 38+P loads and mild 357 loads were absolutely BORING ! I will have to shoot those loads out of my GP100. The load I published with a 158 gr.SWC and 7.8gr. Power Pistol is even mild out of this rifle. Max loading is 8.0gr of Power Pistol so this rifle just tames the meanest of 357 loads period. I had my wife shoot a volley of five rounds at a target 25 yards away and she just flat enjoyed it and she's not a gun girl but she will take her buck this year with it. I have taken the bolt out and the ejector and the rifle did need some initial cleaning. I also had to take out a burr on the ejector that would have scratched up my brass had I not. The barrel was really dirty but cleaned up after about twenty minutes of scrubbing. Have any of you taken this bad boy down to the screws ? If so was it just like any 1894 takedown ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Enoch.

I just finished stripping my Henry 357 down to the screws with practically no problems. Same as an 1894 Marlin except better parts and a little more innovation. I'm very happy with what I found inside. I will be adding a few small things and taking away same but for the most part YES ! This rifle was built to last.

Cool! Great report back on the new rifle. I think you've torn it down further than I have, I know you have.

Yeah, my wife can shoot full house magnum loads just fine. That's on the advantage side of the weight of the octagon barrel, and the fact it's all up front. Somehow it still feels balanced, at least to me it does.

Note: I tried a couple of polishes on the brass and found Flitz to work the easiest and best. The wadding they refer to is a lot tougher to deal with and didn't produce the results like Flitz.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Examined a Big Boy at the fun store yesterday. Great quality and feel but just too thick and heavy for toting through the woods, it feels heavier than my 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Examined a Big Boy at the fun store yesterday. Great quality and feel but just too thick and heavy for toting through the woods, it feels heavier than my 1895.
    It is heavy for sure. I'm checking out different sling variations at the moment. I'm thinking about a safari sling. Have any of you folks used one or what do you use ? I definitely want to sling this bad boy and get some of its' weight onto my shoulders.

Boolit Buddy
    I just brought a new Big Boy in .45 Colt home. I cleaned and dried the bore and checked everything out, as one would do with a new rifle.

I have some lightly loaded rounds that my girlfriend likes to shoot through my Blackhawk (8.1 Herco under a 255 lswc). I didn't have a lot of time but I loaded five rounds and tried it out.

At 25 yds offhand I was shooting the blossoms off of the weeds growing on the backstop, all five!

Action was very smooth and recoil was pretty much non-existant with that load and it balanced an handled fine, for me. I REALLY like this rifle, I bought it for fun shooting but I am sure it will be just fine for brush hunting for deer and piggies with proper loads.

I am very much looking forward to getting more range time with this rifle. I have the 550b set up and I am casting away with might and main...

As far as customer service goes, if I need any, I'll let you know how it works out, but I think it might be a long time before I need any.

Boolit Bub
    Henry has videos of complete disassembly and reassembly on their website.
    I just got back from the range with Henry in tow. Getting used to loading via the tube is going to take awhile but it's doable. What is a real problem to me is I can't seem to find complete takedown instructions. There is a company selling a DVD for $15 or so but I'd really be upset if the takedown is the same as my Marlins which I am pretty sure it is. I just want to inspect all the parts to make sure they can take a diet of full power loads day in and day out. I know the rifle takes recoil to a whole new level of non-existence. I mean all of my 38+P loads and mild 357 loads were absolutely BORING ! I will have to shoot those loads out of my GP100. The load I published with a 158 gr.SWC and 7.8gr. Power Pistol is even mild out of this rifle. Max loading is 8.0gr of Power Pistol so this rifle just tames the meanest of 357 loads period. I had my wife shoot a volley of five rounds at a target 25 yards away and she just flat enjoyed it and she's not a gun girl but she will take her buck this year with it. I have taken the bolt out and the ejector and the rifle did need some initial cleaning. I also had to take out a burr on the ejector that would have scratched up my brass had I not. The barrel was really dirty but cleaned up after about twenty minutes of scrubbing. Have any of you taken this bad boy down to the screws ? If so was it just like any 1894 takedown ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Enoch.

I like the heavy octagonal barrel, that is what sold me on the H001T. Now if they could just bring out a slimmer steel receiver I would buy a Henry .357.