Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: pb checkmaker learning curve

Boolit Master

pb checkmaker learning curve

I got my pb checkmaker from Pat in .35 and tried it.
    I'm a little slow on the uptake, so I dinked around with it. After making a few hundred checks, I got it figured out.
    Lots of off centerd checks, then I tried short stroking the discs . That works, short stroke once or twice and it centers nicely.
    I haven't gotten to the range yet, but they should work well.
    I'm running low on j word 180 grain bullets and hope the 357429 will work in my max.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    then I tried short stroking the discs . That works, short stroke once or twice and it centers nicely.
    Can you s'plain what you mean by that, exactly? I got mine from him but haven't used it yet, since I had a big pile of checks that I bought during a sale post-Christmas.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

The unformed disk needs to be down in the female die just right.

When I "form" PB checks with Patmarlins tool, I've found I either have to push the unformed disk down into the female die or tap the female die to get the disk into the proper position so it can be formed squarely and not "off centerd" as the OP mentions.

I assume what the OP means in short stroking the press is ...moving the ram up and down, but not all the way up. I assume the movement or vibrations of the short stroke is accomplishing the same thing as my tapping the female die and/or pushing the disk down with my finger.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Ah, thanks. I noticed in the directions that it was sometimes helpful to give it a little nudge with the ram to center it before stamping it out. That's prolly what he meant.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I cant wait to get mine... I just ordered the .35PB and the 45PB Rifle

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    The Great State,El Paso Tx. in the winter months, Michigan in the Summer Fishing for Salmon .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    I cant wait to get mine... I just ordered the .35PB and the 45PB Rifle

Doc
    I have the 35PB and the 44PB from Pat. I'm sure you will like the form and function of his dies. For my 35 PB I'm using them on a Lyman 358477 sized @ .359 and lubed w/ C. Red, Material thickness of .004 (soda can) They seem to have tightened my grouping @ 25 yds shooting through a Ruger 6" security six. I've got a Rossi 357 m92 on the way here soon. looking forward to using them there also.

The 44PB has resulted in the same manner as the 35PB. I'm using them on a Ideal 429360 HP / Lyman 429421. These boolits shot great with no checks applied. the addition of the checks seem to have increased my advantage in the longer distance shooting. I"m shooting them through a Ruger SRH 9.5 bbl. leupold 2x, blue dot, 2400, H110/296 They seem to work better w/H110 @ full throttle at those longer distance. My Marlin 336 44/Microgroove seems to eat them up with no leading. I think in general the PB dies have increased my accuracy and has extended my experimentation process. Just my thoughts.. Almost forgot: I use a pencil with the eraser end to nudge the check in place on the bottom die..

Boolit Master
    JonB explains it better than me.
    The pencil eraser sounds like it would work, too.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."