Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Carbine; what do ya think about these ugly looking boolit launchers?

Boolit Master

Hi Point Carbine; what do ya think about these ugly looking boolit launchers?

My nephew just picked up a Hi Point 40 S&W pistol today. It was probably the ugliest looking pistol I ever held. It looked like it was made by PlaySchool and the magazine looked like it was made out of legos.

I loaded the mag with Winchester white box ammo, took 9 shots and... I'll be dammed! It fired like a grown mans gun! In fact, I thought it did better than my dads Smithy.

So I went to there website and found that they make carbine rifles too. I always liked the idea of a .45acp chambered carbine for home security. I think it would be fun to shoot and my wife could handle it better than an AK or AR, and probably better than my 1911. I wouldn't expect to use it at ranges much over 30 yds. They are cheap, ugly, but seem to have a reputation for being reliable. Hell, they are also made in the USA! Nothing pisses me off more than not being able to afford nice American made fire arms on an American made middle class paycheck.

I wouldn't be interested in dressing it up. I'd like to keep it bare bones. Tritium style sights, sling, and that is the most I can see doing.

Oh, and do they shoot cast? thats a biggie. If you have handled one of these enough to give a honest opinion, please share.

Boolit Buddy
    My buddy has 3 of the .40 carbines. He doesn't shoot cast, but he swears he loves these things. I think for the price, if they are reliable they may be worth having 1 or 2 around in case the SHTF.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I know several people who have them and love them. Plus Hi Points all have a LIFETIME warranty, and the service people are polite and nice to boot!!!

For the price point don't know how you could go wrong.

One friend of mine bought a .45 acp hi point pistol for a boat gun, he wanted something cheap in case he happened to drop it in the lake in the middle of the night, during one of his many overnight boating excursions. He liked it so much, he bought another to keep in his RV.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Boolit Master
    I belonged to a High Point forum for a while. Every one there really liked theirs. HighPoint has a very good customer service system in place. Their warranty is extended to the 3rd owner! Most of the guys that sent their pistols in, were very happy for the results. I have one in 45 acp. Shoots factory ammo w/o problems, cast is another story, but I haven't devoted as much time as I could have. A lot of guys reported going to ranges and shooting side by side with other guys that owned more expensive guns and the HPs shot just as well or sometimes even better than the more expensive guns. One word of caution, when you clean your HP, all you need is some kind of aerosol gun cleaner, just spray the heck out of it, use an air compressor to blow off the excess, swab the bore, and you're good to go. The factory recommends you don't disassemble your gun.

Boolit Master
    Wow, this might be a good SHTF gun huh? That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Thanks for that. Good info there! BTW, beautiful shepherd in your avatar.

Banned

they handle cast just fine too.
    I have a 9m carbine version and would love to get a couple of 40-50 round mags for it.
    it takes all kinds of rounded nose boolit styles and shoots them pretty accurately quickly.
    the sights are a bit rough, but easily effective on 6-8" plates out to about 50 yds.
    if I needed some close combat type shtf carbines that I could keep fed cheap I'd be all over a groups worth of them. [if I could get the higher cap. mags]
    if I run across a couple of 45's or another 9m i'll buy it without hesitation.

oh 358 diameter is a good one to go with for the 9.
    the 40 might want something more like 402.

Moderator Emeritus

the son-in-law has one, it's cheap, it's ugly as sin. I may have to get me one.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

I got a new 9mm carbine 5+ years ago. Liked it well enough that I picked up a few more used ones.

A warning and it may not apply to you. But if there is a female shooter about, she might take it away from you and claim it for herself. This very common. Then you'll have to go and buy another one for yourself. Consider yourself warned.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Hi Points are to handguns, what AK47's are to rifles. They just work when you need them to.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

I had one of the 995ts models that I traded away a little over a year ago. I still miss and semi-regret trading it even though I traded up and by up I mean way up.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Master
    Here is a question about cast handloads:

I've stayed away from powders like Blue Dot in my .45 government 1911 simply because it doesn't sound logical and efficient for a low pressure round like the 45acp. I find that powers like Clays and Red Dot are plenty fine for what I want to achieve. I like it in my magnum loads however.

Is it safe to say that I'll get good performance with Blue Dot loads due to the longer barrel? I like to shoot the Lee 452-228-1R in my 1911. I'm curious what this boolit would do behind a slow powder with a much longer barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    I got a new 9mm carbine 5+ years ago. Liked it well enough that I picked up a few more used ones.

A warning and it may not apply to you. But if there is a female shooter about, she might take it away from you and claim it for herself. This very common. Then you'll have to go and buy another one for yourself. Consider yourself warned.
    That will be a welcome predicament. I'd like to have something that my wife will enjoy shooting and enjoy becoming familiar with. When the SHTF, I'll need someone to cover me!

I have a 995. In the past I had a JHP (45ACP pistol) and a C9 (9mm Pistol). I've yet to have a misfire from any of them. I gave the C9 to my son, to teach his girlfriend to shoot, and gave the 45 to a friend for a retirement gift. I won't part with the 995. I had one, gave it to a friend, and went into withdrawal pains. The only thing that cured it was to go buy another one.
    I also have experience with the warranty. I got both pistols at the same time. Every now and then, when I inserted a magazine, it wouldn't catch. You'd have to smack it to latch. Not often, but every now and then. If the other gun did the same, I would have just lived with it. Since it didn't, I called the toll free number for the factory. They insisted that I send it in for inspection. I still remember that it was December 22 when I shipped it and had it back in hand on the 26th, with an extra magazine, "for my trouble". They replaced the magazine catch and returned it over the Christmas holiday, in 4 days!
    BTW, I also have a CX4 Storm. One is no more accurate or dependable than the other. The only real advantage to the CX is the 17 round magazine. The 995 only holds 10.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 995, enjoy it, and it handles 124 gr. lead RN, no problems. It would be nice if you could get bigger mags than 10, but I go through enough ammo as it is.

Boolit Bub
    I have all 3 calibers and they all shoot without a hiccup with cast bullets. They are pretty easy to find used and I think the reason behind that is if you buy factory ammo they get real expensive fast, they love to eat the ammo. They are a lot of fun to shoot!

Generous Donator

I have 2-45's. One in pistol and one in carbine. Both shoot real good. Cheap fun I say. Don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. The pistol is a headboard gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    I have a 995, enjoy it, and it handles 124 gr. lead RN, no problems. It would be nice if you could get bigger mags than 10, but I go through enough ammo as it is.
    I too wish it had a 15 round mag. But whenever it is more than just a passing thought, I have to remind myself that when I shoot it I only load 5 in the magazine anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Thanks for that. Good info there! BTW, beautiful shepherd in your avatar.
    The shepherd is my baby. I have two of them.

The 4595's shoot cast fine. I run 230 RN with 5.6gr of 231 or 5.2gr of 231 with 200gr SWC's

The 9 round and 14 round mags are the only ones you will be able to find these days. The 14 round mags require a slight change in the lip angle in order to feed all day long non-stop. The rumored drum mag is going to be one that is extremely hard to find and pricey when you do at roughly $100 for a used one. They may not have the range that a 5.56 has but then again their cheap to buy and very cheap to shoot when you cast your own and do your own reloading. Ugly? Hell yes but thats part of the fun of owning one.

I have tried different bullet lengths as long as I could run them thru the mag and it takes them so its not finiky when it comes to length.