MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A comment on Henry Repeating Arms

Boolit Master
    OUCH!!!!
    Truly sorry I have gotten under your skin Mr 357shooter by relating my one and only experience with the Henry Golden Boy rifle and the company.
    Some folks just wont ever be able to get along because just by there mannerisms are abrasive to each other.
    By now with so many changes having been made to the original text in this thread its becoming very hard to follow and understand.
    Mr Mortimer another participant in the discussion at least had the fortitude to call the Henry company and confirm what I have related to be true and then continued to display his upright character by apologizing for the personal attack on my character and admitting he was wrong.
    I have not tried to nor did I ever think I could change your opinion on your purchase. What I did was relate my experience with one Henry rifle and my dealings with the company.
    I have tried to do it in a way that was not insulting to anyone and without attacking anyone's character, although that has been quite a struggle at times. I am the father of 9 children 8 still at home so I have learned in teaching my children to put things as simple as possible and as kindly as I can so they will hopefully learn from my experience and not go off in a tangent and learn nothing from it.
    In that I have failed here for which I am sorry.
    It is a very enjoyable and rewarding position to be in to have only good feedback and zero bad on something a person owns and enjoys. That one single negative ruins an otherwise perfect perception weather real or imagined. I am sorry I took that from you but I felt that being a contributing member of this forum for so long that I owed it to the rest of the membership to at least point out that there is a possible flaw in the design/construction/material of the rifle of which I spoke and that in my one experience in dealing with the company to try and correct the problem it was not exactly a positive exchange.
    For some odd reason my mind goes to the Titanic a ship said to be unsinkable. All members on board felt quite comfortable with that fantasy until that comfort was shattered by truth and reality.
    What I have related with my input on my experience with both the Henry company and the golden boy 22 magnum rifle built by them are the same, truth and reality the same type of truth and reality that went to the bottom of the north Atlantic back in 1912 with all those poor folks that trusted in that bubble of fantasy.
    It has been an interesting and enlightening exchange here but I can see that my experience is not welcome nor wanted so I will exit this thread from here. All the best and I do hope that reality never rears its ugly head for you or other owners of the type of Henry rifles of which I spoke.
    Last edited by Bullshop; 02-21-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Does anyone know if the scope mount hole spacing on the centerfire Henry is the same as Marlin? Was looking at their .45-70 today and it looked just like Marlin, which would be very convenient.
    That I don't know. What I do know is that Henry sells a scope mount made for the Big Boys for $27.50. I bought one to mount a scope for my BB .357. Fits like it was made for the gun (cause it was) and is solid.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/st-scope-mount.cfm

I have a Henry 22 mag lever, have had a Rossi and own several Marlins and have used Winchester 94's. Of the ones that I have used the Rossi is at the very bottom of my list. The Henry was ready to shoot out of the box with no problems and functions. My Marlin 94 in 32-20 was ready to go out of the box, I had to change the sight on the Rossi, and do a bit of wood work to get the thing to pattern. Read the threads on Rossi's and you will see comments by others on these issues. I do wish my Henry was drilled for a receiver sight but they do sell one to mount on the dovetails.
    Nothing has been said about the Henry that turns me against them. A Marlin 39 might be a better rifle, but try to get one for a reasonable price. They are not even on the shelves locally. Same for the Winchesters. As to the larger bores, read the comments on the Remlins. I handled the Henry 30-30 and would not hesitate to buy one. I would bet it shoots out of the box. In the end that is what I judge a rifle on. Getting run over by a bulldozer or some such accident does not qualify as a real standard. A manufactureer will not stand behind such accidents and has standards of repair. A gunsmith may be able to fix the rifle back to where it is as usable as it once was, but it may not meet the standards set by a manufacturer who does not want a substandard example of their output around.

DP

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I must admit that I don't like the zamak (zinc-copper-aluminum alloy) receiver of my Henry H001T. I love everything else about it though, especially the $300.00 I paid for it. If Marlin made the 39 with octagonal barrel and straight stock I would have bought one but they don't.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Well , this thread was very lively , some thin skin and unnecessary use of strong language out there that we don't usually see used , on this site anyway. As for the Henry Tangs on the weapon in question, Yup it's cast....other module are brass or steel or some mix of stronger alloy....IMHO for what it's worth I'm one of those long of tooth fellers ...
    Semper Fi Jim
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Elk 45/70 View Post
    Well , this thread was very lively , some thin skin and unnecessary use of strong language out there that we don't usually see used , on this site anyway. As for the Henry Tangs on the weapon in question, Yup it's cast....other module are brass or steel or some mix of stronger alloy....IMHO for what it's worth I'm one of those long of tooth fellers ...
    Semper Fi Jim
    I'm new to this site, but not new to this world or other guns & fishing sites.

That said, I have to wonder, if someone starts a thread here with something positive (and true) to say about a particular Marlin, Winchester, Rossi or whatever, is it to be expected that someone else will come in and trash the thread with their own or second-hand negative views about a different model?

My guess is..yes. "My dog's better than your dog" is as old as the hills.

My view is the best thing is to just ignore those folks if they are not adding to the discussion. Don't encourage them by responding. Don't go away mad, just go away should be the message.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by terk View Post
    I'm new to this site, but not new to this world or other guns & fishing sites.

That said, I have to wonder, if someone starts a thread here with something positive (and true) to say about a particular Marlin, Winchester, Rossi or whatever, is it to be expected that someone else will come in and trash the thread with their own or second-hand negative views about a different model?

My guess is..yes. "My dog's better than your dog" is as old as the hills.

My view is the best thing is to just ignore those folks if they are not adding to the discussion. Don't encourage them by responding. Don't go away mad, just go away should be the message.
    It never hurts to listen to both sides. Many gun owners are totally ignorant about the materials or means of manufacture of their guns, and sometimes those things need to be pointed out by others. I have had MANY a Henry owner tell me the receiver on their rimfire models is "brass". No, it's not. It's cast, with a cast plated cover to look like brass to the untrained eye. One reason the actions are smooth is the bolt slides in a plastic sleeve. I'm not bashing, it all comes together to make a smooth functioning, inexpensive American made rifle. Denying what and how they are made won't make them better.

I ahve seen coment about different guns on different forums. Sometimes the issues are dependent on use. I have a O/U shotgun that is pleasant to carry and works fine and also a SXS. Where they get bashed is by trap or skeet shooters that shoot over 100 rounds a week or so and claim they do not stand up. So far my hunting experiences do not include that level of shooting. $1,500 guns and more are better made, the top grade rifles are starting to run around $1,000 in a bolt action and so forth. Yet those of use that buy the less expensive guns are often content with them. Big thing is matching the use to the price.

DP

The Big Boy series does have the all brass recievers, along with one of the 30-30's. They are very nice rifles, and at a different price point than the rimfires. For some reason folks seem to want to judge the entire product line by the lower priced models, or at least only discuss the rimfires. Go figure.

I really started the thread about the great customer service I recieved from Henry. They best I've experienced. I guess a cast tang on a 22 at 1/2 the cost is more interesting.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    The Big Boy series does have the all brass recievers, along with one of the 30-30's. They are very nice rifles, and at a different price point than the rimfires. For some reason folks seem to want to judge the entire product line by the lower priced models, or at least only discuss the rimfires. Go figure.

I really started the thread about the great customer service I recieved from Henry. They best I've experienced. I guess a cast tang on a 22 at 1/2 the cost is more interesting.
    I've read this lively thread mostly cause I'm looking for a .357 lever. I hadn't really considered the Henry because of the heavy barrel, but now I thinking!
    Saying that all guns from one company are weak junk is kinda like saying You'd never own a Chevy cause the Vega/Citation/ect broke down and left ya stranded!

Bullshop, did you and the gun owner REALLY THINK that any manufacter would stand behind a claim like that? And the parts, I wouldn't have sold them to you or him just for the liabilty! Not all things SHOULD be repaired even you can 'repair' them.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Bub
    I wish they had a side loading gate. If they did I would own at least one. I am not a fan of having to load a tube magazine from the muzzle.

Banned

I would like to see a loading gate, but you can single load in an emergency.
    Last edited by jmort; 02-23-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Loading the tube from the front takes some getting used to, I'm good with it now. I used to load the 454 Rossi from the front sometimes too.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    Loading the tube from the front takes some getting used to, I'm good with it now. I used to load the 454 Rossi from the front sometimes too.
    I have the Rossi 454 and I usually load from the gate. The tube is nice for unloading.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ValorsMinion View Post
    I wish they had a side loading gate. If they did I would own at least one. I am not a fan of having to load a tube magazine from the muzzle.
    I think that's what keeps me from getting too interested in the Henry.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I have the Rossi 454 and I usually load from the gate. The tube is nice for unloading.
    Very true.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I think that's what keeps me from getting too interested in the Henry.
    Crud ! I have followed this thread through to the end and was extremely excited to read that I had an option to getting a used Marlin in .357 for an ungodly amount of money that I just don't have. Although I did just sell my 44CL for a tidy sum and if I hang in there long enough I might just find a Marlin for that amount of money. I don't own a horse so I'm not worried about having my rifle crack in half. I am very much interested in reading about each persons positive and negative experiences with their Henry's regarding the .357 and all things based on the company's reputation. I also like to work on my own guns and that alone has been one of the main reasons why I have always liked Marlins. Tube feeding my cartridges is definitely a negative to me but not one that can't be overcome. Buying American from a company that stands behind its products is paramount to me. I'm sick and tired of junk. I had a Henry .357 in my hand not less than 30 days ago for under $700. Is that a deal ? I have been frothing at the bit to get a .357 ever since my Rossi bit the dust a few years back and I had to sell it. Guys, please help me out with the pro's and con's of this product. I would love to go to town this morning and buy one. Final comment, Jesus said in the final days the love of many would grow cold. It has been demonstrated by a few in this thread. It sickens me to read the arrogance of some who just want to fight to prove a point. What ever happened to: "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything." We can persue the truth ( and we should ) without being disrespectful to one another. If you own a Henry or if you have owned a Henry then please chime in to my request. If your friends brothers second cousin once owned one the please don't. I'm interested in first hand stuff. Thank you, Enoch.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by enoch59 View Post
    Crud ! I have followed this thread through to the end and was extremely excited to read that I had an option to getting a used Marlin in .357 for an ungodly amount of money that I just don't have. Although I did just sell my 44CL for a tidy sum and if I hang in there long enough I might just find a Marlin for that amount of money. I don't own a horse so I'm not worried about having my rifle crack in half. I am very much interested in reading about each persons positive and negative experiences with their Henry's regarding the .357 and all things based on the company's reputation. I also like to work on my own guns and that alone has been one of the main reasons why I have always liked Marlins. Tube feeding my cartridges is definitely a negative to me but not one that can't be overcome. Buying American from a company that stands behind its products is paramount to me. I'm sick and tired of junk. I had a Henry .357 in my hand not less than 30 days ago for under $700. Is that a deal ? I have been frothing at the bit to get a .357 ever since my Rossi bit the dust a few years back and I had to sell it. Guys, please help me out with the pro's and con's of this product. I would love to go to town this morning and buy one. Final comment, Jesus said in the final days the love of many would grow cold. It has been demonstrated by a few in this thread. It sickens me to read the arrogance of some who just want to fight to prove a point. What ever happened to: "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything." We can persue the truth ( and we should ) without being disrespectful to one another. If you own a Henry or if you have owned a Henry then please chime in to my request. If your friends brothers second cousin once owned one the please don't. I'm interested in first hand stuff. Thank you, Enoch.
    I'll be glad to tell you what I know of my experience owning and shooting a Henry .357 Big Boy. I have no experience with other leverguns.

Bought it about 3 months ago because I liked the idea of having a rifle I could shoot the same bullets I reload for my 3 revolvers (if they made a 9mm Henry, I'd buy that, too!).

Paid around $725 for it, so under $700 sounds pretty good to me.

The pluses: Well made, good fit and finish, all the action worked smoothly from the time I handled it in the store and, now, several hundred rounds later, it is even smoother.

There's a video on the Henry website to disassemble down to a pile of parts. Haven't done it yet, but it looks no harder than taking apart a Glock, and the parts are bigger.

Very accurate: I've found about 4 reloads that will shoot 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yards. From plinking lead cast loads under 900 fps to near 2000 fps jacketed XTPs.

A couple tradeoffs that don't rise to the point of being negatives: it's heavier than some other levers, but that makes it very steady on target for offhand shooting. I expect the heavy barrel has something to do with the fine accuracy as well.

As to the brass, I can take it or leave it. It is pretty, but I would be as happy with stainless steel or a blued steel. I bought the rifle to shoot, and it will not be babied, so the brass is going to get a bit worn over time.

I thought I would like a loading gate option, but now I'm not so sure. I have learned to load the tube pretty quickly with ten bullets, and occasionally feed a single shot when doing load tests. It seems to me if I use it for hunting, I'd likely load it once for the day, so it really doesn't matter. I've heard some people complain of the difficulty of loading some levers with hard springs in the loading gate, so I guess it may be a trade-off.

And customer service. Saved the best for last. I've called 3 times, and got a person speaking English on the phone who knew what they were talking about and helped me on the spot. Having been around the block a few times with cars, trucks, appliances, whatever, I have come to appreciate service after the sale.

One other thing - accessories like scope mounts or replacement parts are on the website and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by terk View Post
    I'll be glad to tell you what I know of my experience owning and shooting a Henry .357 Big Boy. I have no experience with other leverguns.

Bought it about 3 months ago because I liked the idea of having a rifle I could shoot the same bullets I reload for my 3 revolvers (if they made a 9mm Henry, I'd buy that, too!).

Paid around $725 for it, so under $700 sounds pretty good to me.

The pluses: Well made, good fit and finish, all the action worked smoothly from the time I handled it in the store and, now, several hundred rounds later, it is even smoother.

There's a video on the Henry website to disassemble down to a pile of parts. Haven't done it yet, but it looks no harder than taking apart a Glock, and the parts are bigger.

Very accurate: I've found about 4 reloads that will shoot 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yards. From plinking lead cast loads under 900 fps to near 2000 fps jacketed XTPs.

A couple tradeoffs that don't rise to the point of being negatives: it's heavier than some other levers, but that makes it very steady on target for offhand shooting. I expect the heavy barrel has something to do with the fine accuracy as well.

As to the brass, I can take it or leave it. It is pretty, but I would be as happy with stainless steel or a blued steel. I bought the rifle to shoot, and it will not be babied, so the brass is going to get a bit worn over time.

I thought I would like a loading gate option, but now I'm not so sure. I have learned to load the tube pretty quickly with ten bullets, and occasionally feed a single shot when doing load tests. It seems to me if I use it for hunting, I'd likely load it once for the day, so it really doesn't matter. I've heard some people complain of the difficulty of loading some levers with hard springs in the loading gate, so I guess it may be a trade-off.

And customer service. Saved the best for last. I've called 3 times, and got a person speaking English on the phone who knew what they were talking about and helped me on the spot. Having been around the block a few times with cars, trucks, appliances, whatever, I have come to appreciate service after the sale.

One other thing - accessories like scope mounts or replacement parts are on the website and reasonably priced.
    Terk, now that's what I'm talking about. You are very kind to share this wonderful info to me and right on point. I will share something with you. I have a perfect load in .357 that has been just a slam dunk for hunting and or target shooting/popping tin cans etc. It calls for 7.8 grs. Power Pistol with a 158 gr. SWC on top of it. The very best accuracy I've found is with a 158 gr. Gold Dot but even Cast bullets slam the mark with this loading. This load is within safe operation of every lever I've shot as well as pistols. If you haven't used Power Pistol before it's very smooth much like Vit N340 without paying the price. Thank you very much, Enoch.

Boolit Mold
    I bought the big boy in 357 and found it in Montana on vac. 699.00 no tax ! Went to see my Brother-in law at is 20 acre piece of land that backs up to the National
    Park 40 miles from Canada. That Henry and I sat with a cup of coffee in the morning and a set of by-pods and prairie dog hunted What fun ! Everyone had to see that beautiful Henry. I think 30-30 will be next.