Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dillon 550 vs Hornady LnL

The powderfunnels.com PTX looks like the belling die used on the 1050. However, the 1050 expands the cases using the backup rod for station #3. I wonder how well these work just belling and not expanding like normal.

Boolit Master

jmorris,

He's looking for a PTX to use with his 41 Mag.

I understand that but the funnel linked to only bells the mouth it doesn't perform the same function as an expander. An expander runs deeper into the case to expand more than just the mouth.

Boolit Master
    I own one of those universal PTXs linked above. It's a magnificent product for jacketed bullets but not the best option for lead boolits. If it is necessary to expand the case neck the full seated depth of the boolit the expansion die will of course have to be caliber specific.

Boolit Man
    I have used the PowderFunnel for several years loading THOUSANDS of rounds of 9mm, 38/357mag, 40S&W, 44MAG, 45ACP. The PowderFunnel does not expand the case but, it does an outstanding job of belling the case mouth. I load BOTH lead and jacketed bullets with and it works beautifully.

Boolit Master
    Dillon 550 if you do not mind the manual indexing. 650 if you don't want the manual and want a bit more speed.

It will give you the opportunity to gloat just a wee bit over your brother, and Dillons have that lifetime no-BS warranty.

Rich
    got two 550/s and seven SDBs.

I know he bought the LNL, here is my take. I own a 550 & 650, have run a LNL quite a bit, enough to make an informed decision. If you must have auto indexing & do NOT want a case feeder, get a LNL. If you must have the case feeder, get a 650. It is a better machine, better priming, better case feeder. All for about $75 more than a LNL.
    The LNL does NOT come with any case feeder parts, the 650 comes with everything but the bowl. One reason it cost more for the stock press. Equip them the same, maybe $75 diff. If you don't care about auto indexing, then a 550B will do everything you every wanted in a progressive press. I load a lot on my 650 but will never get rid of my 550.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    I have numerous friends that use a 650 and love them. I typically like something a little different. I chose the LNL over the 650 for a couple of reasons.
    1. I did not like the primer system, an unseated primer (no case) has to be re-inserted to the loading tube.
    2. The spent primer system
    3. The powder measure ( I had used a RCBS Uniflow for 20 years)
    4. The head assemblies and the "buttons" to remove a case.

I customize things to suit my needs anyhow, and I mixed some of Dillons components to make my LNL what I wanted. I load a variety and volumes of 44 bullets and the ability to switch out the seating die quickly is nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010027.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	97396

Boolit Master

Viper that is a lot of capability in a small package. I like it! I need to study it a bit.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

My fist progressive was the LNL. Last year I bought a used 650 with all the bells and whistles, from a club member that had terminal cancer. Didn't need it but a good deal and helped him out some too. Anyway, I love having a case feeder. I liked the LNL primer system way better! Also spent primers and the powder measure better too. Once I got an after market PTX at least. But I've had timing issues in 40 cal with the LNL that slowed me down some. I like the fact that it is easier to see into the case on the 650 than on the LNL. The LNL turns 1/2 going up and 1/2 going down. Dillon just on the way down. Both ways have good and bad. If I could, I'd build a better press by taking the best of each. They are both good machines but neither is perfect. I don't need them both, but I've not yet decided to sell the LNL. Or should I get a case feeder for the LNL and sell the 650. But I'll probably keep both and use the LNL for less used calibers and only load on the 650 if I'll be doing a 1000 or more before switching.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Viper that is a lot of capability in a small package. I like it! I need to study it a bit.
    Thanks Fishman. The Lyman sizer has a heater and is full of Carnuba Red for smokeless, the LAMII is full of Black Powder lube. What's not pictured is the chair that is integrated into the base, once I plop my 200 lbs down the press is rock solid.
    Here's another pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010026-2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	97633

Boolit Master

Thank YOU! Viper
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"