RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Question on picking a sizer

Boolit Mold

Question on picking a sizer

I'm new to casting and in fact haven't even casted one bullet yet. But I'm getting everything together.

I'm trying to do this all on the cheap or as cheap as possible. I don't mind spending money when necessary, like for a quality mold, but just buying stuff because it's sold by casting companies, when garage sale items or good will store items will work just as well, is not what I'm into. I'd rather spend my money on lead.

I'm only interested in casting bullets for my M1 Garand (30-06) right now. I'm interested in using a Lyman 311365 mold. This mold produces a very pointed bullet. So my questions are:
    Can I size these bullets using the Lee push through sizer? And what size sizer do I need (.309, .310, .311) whether it's a Lee or whoever? I will need to put gas check on them too and I'm thinking of using the shake and bake method of Powder coating them instead of lube, though lube is also an option. If I do use a lube I'd like just pan lube them so I don't need to use a sizer that lubes them.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I size to .310, a LEE is fine. Make sure the GC is seat square. I do not use that boolit. I use the Lyman 311299 and get very good results.

Le Loup Solitaire
    If you stick with the Lee system...no worry with pointy bullets as with Lee the bullets are pushed thru by the base. .310 is a good size and considered correct. For use in the Garand (06) you will need a gas check as the velocity needed for the M-1 to recycle and shoot accurately will require a gas check. Pan lubing is fine although it is somewhat slower than using a lubrisizer, but much more economical. LLS

A good source for thoughts & opinions on cast in the M1 is in the Military rifle section. Also do a search on the " Garand" . Since you haven't bought a mold yet I think you will find that the majority of M1 shooters use the 311299, 2nd would be the 311332,311334,311284. They will also say they size to .310 or .311
    As to lube, if you buy a Lee sizing die from a store it will come with a tube a Lee Liquid Alox [LLA] and you have the basis for the 45/45/10 tumble lube.
    Just as an fyi on the 365 & 299, my M1A shoots the 299 into < 2 MOA, the 365, about +4 MOA.
    When you are able to shoot , I figure you will be knee deep in snow for a while, PM me your address and I'll send you some 299's & 365's, sized .311 since you will probably have a .310 die ?
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking of first trying the pan lube method with using the Carnauba Red lube. This seem to hold up really will in the higher velocity 30-06 rifles. I was also thinking of using either a Linotype or Lyman #2 casting material. Which/what do you all recommend? Is the Linotype too hard? Also, is the 311299 available?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    .... I do not use that boolit. ....
    Why, what's wrong with it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortonspoint View Post
    Why, what's wrong with it?
    Sorry,
    I've never used that boolit.