Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD Products

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wallaby hunt - I'm back.

Wallaby hunt - I'm back.

Hi team.

I'm back from my hunt and thoroughly glad I went. My mission was to get my friend Mike onto his first wallaby ('roo) and we did this and some.

The property was new to us and the game holding area quite small but really nice. A river bed along a step, scrubby face. On arrival at the farm we availed ourselves of the clay throwing trap and used up the bucket of clays I had loaded. My 12 gauge handloads (with home dropped shot) went well as did my faithful old side by side. Mike is a bit of a natural on clays and after about 80-90 rounds we prepared to chase furry things.

As Mike has only a pair of .22RFs I set him up with my suppressed .32-20 Martini shooting ACWW Lyman 31133 HP's with poly wad over a full charge of H4227 producing 1850fps. I carried my Husqvarna .30-30 bolt rifle pushing a CBE 309 162 in 40-1 alloy over 22gr of Benchmark for 1700fps. The farmer's son dropped us off down the road so we could walk back and initially we saw only 3 bunnies but elected to leave them and look for bigger game. On a bit we had seen no 'roos but got onto a pair of hares that were sitting in the river bed below us about 80-90m away. I encouraged Mike to have a shot and from prone he leveled his hare and I quickly lined up on the other and took that. This was Mike's first ever hunting kill; here he is:

And me with the Husky and hare:

On we went and came to a grass laneway between the hill and scrub in the river. Mike immediately spotted a face and ears looking at us and called 'roo! I couldn't positively identify over the iron sights and the animal moved out of sight before he could line up. We moved forward slightly to find it again in the open scrub. Buck fever got Mike and he missed at 20m but as the 'roo turned to depart I hit it with the .30-30 on the run. I solid female:

Further on Mike lead the way and walked past a shot on the hill he thought was a hare. I lined and and dropped a small 'roo then went to recover it only to spring it's friend who was sitting nearby. The second animal launched to my left and I dropped it inside 10m again on the trot:

Approaching the homestead in failing light we entered a large, flat area I didn't think would hold game. That was until a very large male 'roo went sailing by. It stopped and at about 50m Mike got his first wallaby:

The farm boys had rigged up the truck with a bench seat on the back for some spotlighting. I am not a huge fan of night shooting but away we went and what a hoot. Mike and I on the back, he with the .32-20 and me carrying my 12 gauge with some BB loads I had put together. Another 10 'roos fell before midnight. Tally for the weekend, 14 wallabies, 3 hares, 4 bunnies. AND we saw a nice fallow deer in the spotlight that I will look for next time.

Great weekend and a joy to help someone else into the sport. Now he has to come round and reload all the brass he created!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like you started him off right.

I did notice a lack of leggings my boy......

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a great day outdoors. I'm amazed at how big those hares are. How much do they weigh?

Banned

Great story! I can not help but notice that you are wearing shorts and he is wearing dress shoes!

Boolit Master

Fascinating! Thanks for the story.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Looks like you started him off right.

I did notice a lack of leggings my boy......
    Summer time. Rather good conditions over the weekend.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Good fun!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Looks like a damn good time....color me envious of the game and that husky 30/30,----- staring at snow drifts deep enough to conceal my steel swinger targets.

Boolit Master

That's a good day and those hares are huge. Seems crazy to me anyway......you can't have handguns but you can use suppressors.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    That's a good day and those hares are huge. Seems crazy to me anyway......you can't have handguns but you can use suppressors.
    We can't hunt with handguns. Ownership for target it straight forward.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned
    What seems crazy to me is that our vehicles must have mufflers, our lawn mowers must have mufflers but firearms and motorcycles must be loud for some reason...that is what makes no sense to me here in AmeriKa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    We can't hunt with handguns. Ownership for target it straight forward.
    Thanks for the correction.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Summer time. Rather good conditions over the weekend.
    Or have the Kiwis finally signed the U.N. convention BANNING Purple Long Johns for Humanitarian Reasons?
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master

Can you eat them ?
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    Or have the Kiwis finally signed the U.N. convention BANNING Purple Long Johns for Humanitarian Reasons?
    Heaven forbid!

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Can you eat them ?
    Yes, you can eat them but they are vial, smelly little critters. It's purely pest control for us.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Glad you are back on the horse Jeff. That is a lovely little single shot 30-30, I'd love to stumble on one of those here in Australia. Still playing with loads for my Savage 340 in 30-30. A great cast calibre.
    Which benchmark powder are you using 1, 2, 8208? Do you use a filler with it?, I'm using AR2205, 2206H and 2208 in playing around currently.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Grand Master

Jeff

Outstanding hunt and well told. I thoroughly enjoyed it. That is indeed a sweet looking little 30-30. The suppressed 32-20 also. Mike looks like he had a wonderful time. Again, well done.

Larry Gibson

Off topic but, is a kangaroo hide good for anything?

Nice rifles Jeff, and looks like you and Mike had a good hunt.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Mold
    Great hunt and story. Thanks!