Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with my new career - Please!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Real estate people are also good contacts, a lot of properties need some work, even if it is just a cleanup. Don't confine yourself to the elderly or even older neighborhoods. I had a cousin that started out building ponds out of natural stones, he wound up building ponds and swimming pools all out of rock. This was all in upscale neighnorhoods and he wound up not even bidding a job unless it was 250,000 or more, and stayed busy with two crews at a time. My FIL stayed busy building decks, and a lot of that was on newer homes in upscale neighborhoods. It is easier to make money where there is money.

I did a small job for a Realtor about 4 months ago, just got paid TODAY! Wont happen again.......
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    I have been in business for 10 years or so. Lots of ups and downs even still. Like has already been said word of mouth will be your best advertising. If you do good work, are dependable and charge a fair price it will come. I am finally now where I think I could survive just off future work from my past customer base

I did phone book advertising for a few years but honestly I can't say it ever returned the 2-3 K a year investment.

Other than business cards having a presentable truck lettered up with you business information is a big help. I have two trucks which are lettered up with my large logo and lots of other eye catching info like free estimates, free second opinion, lic and insured, different brand logos, and my Ph#. Most people comment how they constantly see me as I ride from job to job. Some even think I have more than two trucks based on how often they see me.

Boolit Bub
    Your website in my opinion is even more important than your business cards. Keep the references on the website current. Encourage referrals from customers. Do not sell yourself short on price. Sell value. Learn to price by the job, not by the hour. I am in NC and would be Leary of your rates (too cheap) and would research you to death before hiring. If you try to stick around material + labor x 2, you will be able to market properly and grow as large as you want.

Boolit Buddy

I would not give up on the realtors. Most are reputable. How about companies with lots of rental units? They often need work after every tenant. Hit every one and leave a sheet and business card. Get references from satisfied customers. Most of all, do not give up.

Boolit Master
    I ran my own small business for 20 years after retiring from the Air Force. The most important thing I ever did to increase my customer base was to get set up to take credit cards, VISA, MC, and Discover.
    If you are truly legit make sure you can tell your customers you are licensed to do business in your state, collect sales tax, have a business checking account and accept credit cards.
    I second what others said about relators. When they are selling a house the home inspector always finds items that need to be fixed and can recommend you to the home owner.

Never try to be the cheapest. If you don't value your work neither will anyone else.

One last thought, make sure you go to ebay or somewhere and have some official receipt books printed up showing the name and location of your business, contact info, etc. It adds a lot to your credibility.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 02-07-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master

Get on facebook and then tell clients (if they have a computer) to "like" you on facebook. People will check this out and call. Give it a try, it's free.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned
    I ran a construction business for twenty five years.

The first thing to do is get a license, bond and insurance. One of the reasons you aren't getting business is because $20 an hour screams "under the table", and the customers you want (the ones with money) don't want to do business under the table. If you were carrying insurance and had a bond, you'd need $20 an hour to cover your overhead, plus something more for yourself. So people know as soon as they hear your rate that you're not licensed.

I contracted for both Home Depot and Lowe's until I got sick of the kind of customers they handle. Both require a million dollar policy in liability and property damage. I didn't work for Sears.

A much better market is the custom market.

People who can afford to hire a handyman can afford to hire a licensed, bonded handyman. If they can't afford that, they either do it themselves or write bad checks. A license really is the first step-- without one, you don't have any recourse, and you're going to get a lot of bounced checks.

Good luck!

Boolit Master

I am retired from that industry but all my old friends say "Linkedin" is the only effective method.

https://www.linkedin.com/
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I agree with all of the above, fer shure raise your rates, I'd say go up to $30 and drop to $25 for seniors. Don't be cheapest. I've a good friend that has done this type work for the past 30 odd years, and I worked for him for about 6 months between jobs a few years back. Word of mouth, doing a good job, and the major thing I saw him do that I think a lot of contractors skimp on is CLEANUP AFTER YOURSELF! Leave your work area cleaner than what you found it, take all your trash with you, don't leave a thing. Always go above and beyond. And you will succeed.

Boolit Buddy
    Nurses know lots of folks that need things fixed.

Big Dale

Moderator Emeritus

Check to see if a company in the area runs a local trader service online like this http://www.marshallhyvee.com/index.php/trader free ads or very cheap for a business ad.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    MaryB

Sorry to report that your link does not work.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Create a Facebook page. Ask customers if you can post repairs. This works when you start to establish a large base of "friends".
    Flyers work very well. People want something to hold onto.

Boolit Grand Master

Chiropractors! People go to them because they hurt and can't do things any more. If you are a Christian get to know your local pastors. Take them to lunch and introduce yourself and what you do. I would say those who own rental units but all the ones I know are cheap bas***ds!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Most of idea have been covered.

Here a few things I would add. Some may not like the first statements.

People with money like money, professional high end people are some of the best to work for and the worst, lawyers and Doctors or should I say people with Doctorate know how to get away from making payments, you'll need contract for them all of them. Common people that have been in the area for many years normaly pay there bills.

Stop working by the hour!! This is a good base line to bid a job. Tell people what it is going to cost up front. Not too low and hold to the deal, unless they change the deal, or contract. Even if you miss the bid. If you talk to them and explain maybe meet in the middle. Take notes on every job as to time to do and what was needed, use to bid jobs in future.

Treat return costumers like family you like to see. Ask about there family, try to recall names or better yet facts about them, like age learning to walk, someone was sick, having trouble. When things are slow these are some ask them if they need any thing done or if the know of any work. They all relate to starting a business or keeping one going, Word of Month !!

You ask about a handyman not a contractor.

Until you find help there are skilled and reliable watch taking on a big job.
    One big job can and will brake you, I seen it happening too many times, even in farming plant too much too fast and have a bad year, takes years to recover.

I use to weld, repair items of all types of things fabrication. Back ground it electrical residential/commercial and some industrial, trade school. Know pluming, carpentry very well. Basic masonry, cement and laying block some. Plus have farmed all my life, do custom farming on the side. Been treated well by a huge number of people and stuck for money by a few.

Best of Luck!!

Teddy

Love Life
    Being on time, and cleanliness are my two bits of advice. I feel your price is a bit low though.

For me, when a handyman says he'll be there at 0800, I expect him/her there at 0800. A little early is fine, but 1 minute late is not. If they are running late then I appreciate a phone call.

Cleanliness is huge for me. When I pay a handy man to come do something I expect them to take all of their garbage with them.

Failure to do both of the above means I will not be a repeat customer.

Boolit Master

Around here there are public bulletin boards at grocery stores, restaurants..etc. Leave multiple business cards where an interested person can take one home. Another trick is print out your scope of work ( more than a business card) and have your phone number listed multiple times that can be torn off at the bottom. You might want a statement of age,honesty and to provide references.
    If you want to paint hook up with owners of apartment buildings. They almost always paint an apartment between renters..

Love Life
    My FIL has run his own electrician business for decades. He does not advertise one iota. He gets business by word of mouth. He does great work at a competitive price. He finally hung up his coveralls this year, and has slowed down and now has the contracts to install generators at cell towers.

My uncle has also had his own electrician business for a couple decades. He advertises through the school sports teams. His logo and number are on the little footballs handed out at games and as a sponsor for the sports teams. Schools sports are HUGE in the south east.

Do quality work, for a decent price, and you'll be knee deep in work.

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I have been trying to get a handyman business off the ground for the last several years, but have had very little success.
    Hi Don!

Until you get serious with a business plan and obtain the proper funding through banks, you're just going to fail and waste time.

Start with this book: http://www.dummies.com/store/product...118083725.html

Also, contact the Small Business Administration: http://www.sba.gov/

If you're a veteran, don't forget to use that to your advantage:

Office of Veterans Business Development: http://www.sba.gov/about-offices-content/1/2985#

Also, think about joining social organizations like the Elks Lodge and Rotory Club:

http://www.elks.org/

https://www.rotary.org/

Best wishes as you move forward with your goals!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9781118083727_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg  
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Perma-Banned

Kudos to all of the previous posts, all sound and good info. I would go the way of the website and business cards, to start. Not terribly expensive, and getting your customers to fill out comments, will make you sort of an Angies List. The only thing that can stand in your way is shoddy service, not cleaning up, and overcharging for what it is that you did. Remember, if you cut a Senior Citizen a deal, word will spread extremely fast.
    Good luck in your endeavors, and I hope that all works out for you.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!