Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My special project

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Very nice sir.

I have always wanted to clone a Spencer rifle.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Mold
    The Highwall is considerably more difficult to build than the other guns I have worked on. Lot of close fitting parts buried up inside where you cant see what is in a bind with something else. For somebody to build one with just a lathe is truly remarkable.. Completely amazing. I have a complete machine shop including cnc mill,multiple lathes and manual mills, heat treat furnace , Rockwell hardness tester, welders and the like. The 4th Wall that I built for myself took me 18 consecutive weeks working daily. But I don't work hard at it. It just something fun to work on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	94414

Banned

Lordy- just beautiful. Wish I could do something like that some day.

Your work is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. I have access to the machines to do what you have done, but not sure I have the skill. I might try someday, but working on other projects for now. That is an absolutely beautiful rifle.
    2AMMD

That is very nice work. I wish I had that skill...

Boolit Master
    That is a sweet gun. Fella's at one time I also would look and drool but I saw that simple single shot designed by DeHass and I was hooked .I never even made one like it but started doing my own drawing and design and making them. Some I scrapped but it is a great feeling to make one and hold it when finished. I knew very little of metal work but had a hacksaw and files and a drill press at first and alot of ambition. Many of you can start this type of project if you stay with a simple design and grow from there.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Great Job

Terryt

Boolit Master

I really enjoy seeing what the members can do--beautiful!
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

oldred,

You definitely have the talents to do the job! That's some fine looking wood you have there too. A lot of talent shows with both the metal work and the wood work as well as the selection and execution of the wood. Thanks for sharing a fine piece of craftsmanship.

One thing I NEED to learn how to do is bluing. It seems rather expensive (tanks alone are pricey on a retirement budget) to get set up for it and I have limited space for something I'd use only a couple three times a year.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alphawolf45 View Post
    The Highwall is considerably more difficult to build than the other guns I have worked on. Lot of close fitting parts buried up inside where you cant see what is in a bind with something else. For somebody to build one with just a lathe is truly remarkable.. Completely amazing. I have a complete machine shop including cnc mill,multiple lathes and manual mills, heat treat furnace , Rockwell hardness tester, welders and the like. The 4th Wall that I built for myself took me 18 consecutive weeks working daily. But I don't work hard at it. It just something fun to work on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	94414
    That rifle sure makes my refurbish/conversion work on a low wall pale in comparison. Thanks for sharing.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Sir, i just cant imagine the level of skill needed to make these rifles... What an incredible ability you have sir... You are truely blessed with patience and attention to detail, not to mention a level of skill that few have....

Wow, is about all i can say...

AG

Boolit Master

Nice!
    I have several originals and yours is certainly comparable to them.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Mold
    Amazing gun, looks better than many factory pieces. the blacking is flawless.
    I wish i had your talent.

I wish i had your rifle.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    One thing I NEED to learn how to do is bluing. It seems rather expensive (tanks alone are pricey on a retirement budget) to get set up for it and I have limited space for something I'd use only a couple three times a year. Edd

You might want to look into rust bluing since it requires little in the way of equipment and not much cost, the results are one of the most durable finishes you can apply and also a very attractive blue/black look. There are two different methods of rust blue, "Express" blue which can be done in one day or the slow rust blue process that can take several days and while each has it's own attributes they both result in a very attractive finish that rivals a hot blue and is even more durable .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    You might want to look into rust bluing since it requires little in the way of equipment and not much cost, the results are one of the most durable finishes you can apply and also a very attractive blue/black look. There are two different methods of rust blue, "Express" blue which can be done in one day or the slow rust blue process that can take several days and while each has it's own attributes they both result in a very attractive finish that rivals a hot blue and is even more durable .
    Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the suggestion. I will do some reading on the subject.

Edd

Amazing rifle, you did a heck of a job on it.
    Sully

Boolit Master

Swwweeeeeeet
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia