Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing crimped primers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwell View Post
    I screwed up and put a large primer reamer in instead of a small… Did I just screw up all the brass I just did? I didn't ream it all the way just put lip on there.
    I think if the primers seat, and not loose you be good to go. If they are very loose you might want to put the brass aside. there is a fix for it.
    Some guys complain that some primers are "over sized" and very hard to seat. I don't remember if it was Tula [Russia brand] or something else. So that's one option. The other fix is a primer water proofing sealant that will hold it in like glue. I wish I could remember the name of it. Someone might chime in here with the name.
    Don't trash the brass. Try a few pieces. NEVER BE IN A RUSH when reloading or doing prep work. Missing fingers, eye damage or complete loss of one or both and least of them a blown up firearm is not worth the few minutes you think you saved.

Be safe and welcome to the site, its a great place with tons of info and great folks. There is always help here when you need it and no question is stupid except the one you didn't ask ! Read as much as you can. The stickies in each section at the top of the page has ALL the answers to 99% of your questions but again don't be afraid to ask again to be sure your understanding.

Mike

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    I think I will try RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2. If I can find one cheap!
    I bought one and it works great. Wasted my money on the CH swager first
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy

I've used the RCBS and the Dillon. For me the Dillon is much better. Also more costly.

Love Life
    The Super 1050 is the best way for depriming and swaging primer pockets....

Use the reamer lightly and you'll be fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Swaging is the best way to go. If you have to ream, remove the CRIMP ONLY!! Many times I have seen brass that was done on a drill press or a power crimper, with way to much primer pocket removed.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I use the standard Lee decapping/case forming die for the cal in a single sage press to remove the primer.

Then use an RCBS primer pocket swager to open up the pocket. Works every time and is sure cheaper than that Dillon thing.

No................ you cannot do thousands an hour, but I am NOT a production plant! The above simple equipment provides me with more than enough swaged brass to fulfill my needs.

bangerjim

:arge or small primers this is what I have been doing for the last 35 years. I use the Lee base and decapping pin under a arbor press instead of using a hammer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cricco View Post
    I use the Dillon super swage. Best $100 I've spent on reloading.
    I fully agree. I've used an RCBS Primer Pocket Swager for decades, and finally decided that there must be a better way. I recently bought a Dillon Super Swage 600 to process 2000+ rounds of .223 brass, and I asked myself why I ever waited so long! Yes, it's rather expensive at a bit over $100, but it's money well spent. if I had to, I'd save my beer/cigarette/Starbucks money for a month or two and buy one. You won't regret it.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Sometimes here, but never there (with apologies to Bud Abbott)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    I bought one and it works great. Wasted my money on the CH swager first
    Used my new CH swager for the first time this afternoon. It was a little finicky setting up, but once there, it's great!! Swages my 5.56 as fast as my Lee hand prime primes. At $28 + shipping, I love it.
    Saddle

Boolit Master

I also use the RCBS primer pocket swager right in my press. As fast and easy as sizing the brass. Can do a couple hundred an hour easy. It rolls back the crimp and does not remove any brass at all. It is adjustable to get exactly what you need. It is also inexpensive and worth every penny.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235...swager-combo-2

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OKSaddletramp View Post
    Used my new CH swager for the first time this afternoon. It was a little finicky setting up, but once there, it's great!! Swages my 5.56 as fast as my Lee hand prime primes. At $28 + shipping, I love it.
    I thought the same thing. And then I ran into some LC 308 brass that didn't want to swage properly. Ended up cracking some case heads because I had to run the ram up to high to remove the crimp entirely. Bought a Dillon Super Swage and haven't looked back. I touted the CH4D swager for a long time and swaged thousands of pieces w/ it and am kicking myself for not buying the Dillon earlier.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I use the Lee Universal decapper to remove the crimped primers, then the Dillon swager.

If you are dealing with huge quantities, this seems the best way to go.
    Me too! It's kind of rare now, but I used to shoot a lot of surplus M2 Ball. Had 2x6 with a hole that fit the base of the Lee decapper. I could sit with that 2x6 resting on the floor between my knees, using a ball-peen hammer, and decap a couple of hundred cases while carrying on a conversation with friends and family.

The Dillon pocket swager made short order of ironing out the crimps.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I am sorry................but "drill press" and "primer pockets" should NOT even be used in the same sentence. Or ever meet up in your shop!

Swaging is the ONLY accurate, safe, and easy method to use. Cobbling around with a darned drill press and a drill bit or reamer is just asking for inaccuracies and trouble. You don't need to remove ANY brass, just push it aside a nudge!

bangerjim

Boolit Mold
    I was doing by hand for a long time until I bought a dillon...Now its alnost enjoyable!

I have used a L.E. Wilson punch and base to knock out GI crimped in primers for many years. It works fine, but it is slow.

In the early 60's I bought a CH primer pocket swaged. It has a metal rod on a cast iron base over which you slide the case. There is a steel punch with a swage tip that is inserted into the primer pocket (which is supported by the metal rod on the cast iron base) and you smack it with a hammer. I still use it, again it is slow but it works.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

The big box of five thousand 5.56 x 45 cases I bought back in the seventies has very stubborn primer pockets.
    Couple weeks ago I cleaned up a few hundred late production Fed LC brass from civilian sales M-193 that was given to me. All I had to do was run a Hornady pocket chamfer reamer on them . With the old 1960's brass I chamfer with a cutter then use an RCBS swag tool and they are still tight. So now I realize what people are speaking of when they say they just run a neck chamfer tool in the pocket.

Boolit Bub
    I also use the Dillon primer swage tool. It works great for taking the crimp out of primer pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by OKSaddletramp View Post
    I must be doing something wrong because I bent rims and cracked case heads trying to use the CH4D swagger. I found it difficult and frustrating to use.

Quote Originally Posted by DavZee View Post
    I must be doing something wrong because I bent rims and cracked case heads trying to use the CH4D swagger. I found it difficult and frustrating to use.
    May be back to the issue where all mil surp brass is not the same.

I was running some military brass through my 222 Rem die a few weeks back. Forming to 222 from 5.56mm. When I'd run into a PMC it would stop the lever. Brass was from the same lot of new LC but I had a few cases from old M-193 PMC from back in the 1970's. I tried annealing it then forming just for kicks but it still didn't go. Just hard alloy. Yes it's a SOB to de crimp too. I just toss it in the scrap five gallon bucket.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DavZee View Post
    No, you're not. I used the CH4D tool successfully for a few years. Then no matter what I did I started cracking case heads. And even then the pockets weren't swaged. I'm kicking myself for not buying the Dillon sooner.

I also use the RCBS primer pocket swager. My only complaint is when I'm swaging 223 brass. The small primer rod barely fits through the case.