Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 303 British - Brass No More?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    As mentioned, if you can get .30-40 Krag brass it will make .303 British brass. I have not done it as I have a lot of .303 British brass but the head of .30-40 Krag is a few thou larger so once formed it does not have the unsightly bulge that .303 British brass does.

As I understand it, it is as simple as running .30-40 Krag brass through the .303 full length sizing die then trim.

Longbow
    It is usually easier, and much less expensive, to find .303 than .30-40 brass. I find the Prvi brass to fit the chamber of 3 different .303s (all, admittedly either very late or post war rifles FTR'd and put away waiting for the Russkies coming through the Fulda Gap) better than most brass. It works as well for me as my Greek surplus brass, I've never had a bulged case with that brass (wish I had laid in several cases of the .303 and bought the same of the .30-06 when it was on the market - hindsight is 20/20).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Grand Master

I know when I look in Canada, it is easier to find .303 brass than .30-40 Krag but then there were lots of Lee Enfields floating around Canada for a long time. Also, .30-40 Krag brass tends to be quite a bit more expensive here too... or at least where I can shop.

I have seen comments going the opposite way in the States with .30-40 brass being more readily available. Could well depend on location.

As far as I know there is no shortage of .303 brass locally. I'll check next time I go to the only local gun store where I bought my last bag. There are no other gun stores within 3 hours drive so my access is limited.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I have to admit that I didn't think about people who actually drive to a store to buy brass. I have no local source of reloading components (about 50 miles one way is the closest) and order from the net. The prices are better and when the cost of fuel is factored in, even paying HazMat charges for powder comes out better (as long as I don't even think of buying 1 pound at a time).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Brass availability is what it is on the given day you want to purchase it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Brass availability is what it is on the given day you want to purchase it.
    While true, it sort of depends on whether you anticipate need and plan ahead, or realize you need some 7.64 Whizzer brass the day before the range session with your boss and his son.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    While true, it sort of depends on whether you anticipate need and plan ahead, or realize you need some 7.64 Whizzer brass the day before the range session with your boss and his son.
    But then that's not the day you wanted it. It's the day you anticipated you may need it.
    In the end. When it comes a moment to shoot. You have to run what you bring because anything else is just a pipe dream. Your availability is what you can drop into the chamber. Should of could of don't get it done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    But then that's not the day you wanted it. It's the day you anticipated you may need it.
    In the end. When it comes a moment to shoot. You have to run what you bring because anything else is just a pipe dream. Your availability is what you can drop into the chamber. Should of could of don't get it done.
    This strikes me as sophistry, but who am I to judge. Should have, could have certainly is correct.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master

I'd say it may very well be that, Chief (love your avatar, yes, I know what is is). But, he is right. You've got to anticipate availability these days, and simply, plan ahead. The 3 of us know that, but some folks just haven't learned it yet.

If you use it, get some on hand when it's available, and priced right. You don't need to hoard, just buy enough so you've got it, when you want it.

Boolit Bub
    I just purchased a No 5 "Jungle Carbine". Anxious to shoot it! A friend told me to check Graf & Sons, inc. in Mexico, MO. I just checked on line and they do have Prvi 303 British brass. I'm going to order 100 today. That O-Ring idea is great. I have a 30-40 Krag with an oversize chamber. Really hate those bulged on one side cases. (I neck size only, so the bulge isn't worked and therefore weakened.) Why didn't I think of that!
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Long ago, when I owned a Lee Enfield (No 1 MkIII Lithgow I would have a lot of head separations after the 4 reloads on a case usually Herters brass. I found some 30-40 Rem- UMC cases and resized them, trimmed them, and they would last for 15 or more loadings. Just my experince

What size O rings have you found to work best?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Graf & Sons in Mexico, MO has PRVI brass in 303 British. I just ordered some online.

Boolit Buddy
    Some once-fired S&B on Gunbroker for a reasonable price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=389993874

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tinsmith View Post
    Graf & Sons in Mexico, MO has PRVI brass in 303 British. I just ordered some online.
    Thanks for the headsup, just got some loaded prvi from there $.80 ea. It was $.50 ea just for the brass so I opted for the loaded too give me sometime to get a few molds an dies put together

What would the brass look like, to have a need for oring trick? Only have the 1 303 jungle rifle, so will only be neck sizing...

In Remembrance

Once-fired S&B .303 British brass is half used up. Most 303-shooters get only one, sometimes two reloads out of S&B brass before it shows signs of head separation.

Quote Originally Posted by btreanor View Post
    Some once-fired S&B on Gunbroker for a reasonable price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=389993874

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    What size O rings have you found to work best?
    O ring alternatives: http://www.kragcollectorsassociation...num=1396146491
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson