MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: da C&B revolver?

Boolit Master

da C&B revolver?

does anybody make a double action cap and ball revolver?

or would it be possible to convert a modern da revolver(in say .45 colt) into can and ball?

I'm not aware of any one making a double action cap and ball revolver, but I do load .45 colt cartridges with .454 RB over 4 grains of Bullseye. If you want the smoke you could load it with black powder.

There is a double action C&B revolver available from Dixie Gun Works. It's a replica of the Starr revolver.
    "Pray for war, at least in war you know who the enemy is." A Shipmate
    "One who respects the law and enjoys sausage, should never watch either being made." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    The Starr double action revolver has the rear sight on the hammer like a Colt so wen you shoot double action you have no sights.

Boolit Master
    I believe revolvers are converted to C&B in Europe for use on the target range. Would really be to hard to do, loading would be a bit harder, probably off the revolver.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Just remember if you convert that ATF and other LEO entities still consider it a firearm, and not a BP/Antique, so treat it the same as a smokeless firearm. I mean this in case you might be tempted to carry it as some do to get around no-firearms laws. Those laws are the reason NAA make a BP version of the .22Mag I carry, the BP gun is not a firearm by most laws and can be carried in places that outlaw or otherwise restrict conventional carry.
    It's like converting a rifle to a pistol, once a rifle always a rifle. etc. Not intending to fan any flames or ignite a discussion, just offering my interpretation of some laws it'd be easy to get on the wrong side of going down the smokeless-to-BP pistol conversion route.
    Bulldogger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike 56 View Post
    The Starr double action revolver has the rear sight on the hammer like a Colt so wen you shoot double action you have no sights.
    You have to aim quick!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I here you old school pray spray.

Boolit Master
    I don't know about any being made now, but there were a number of double actions made during the period of the Civil War, both in percussion and cartridge form. The Kerr revolver was an American percussion DA as was the Pettingill Army Model revolver which was also a "hammerless" design. Both had sighting channels in the top of the frame as a rear sight.

Must take a picture of one to your gunsmith and have him whip one up

Oh; see "Guns of the American West" by Dennis Adler. Lots of excellent photos and history, and much less in the way of technical information.